Final School list help 520/ 3.65

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MediocreClimber

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please do not quote.

Hello! I am looking to finalize my school list. I was originally planning to apply to closer to 18 schools but added more reaches after receiving my MCAT score. My list is definitely top heavy but I am wondering if I have enough of a foundation of target schools. I know I have strong ECs and very strong LORs. My GPA seems to be my biggest weakness.

Thank you for all the help!!

Female, White, LGBTQ, Disadvantaged

Year in school
: Graduated from a top NESCAC

Country/state of residence: TN

WARS: 90

Cumulative GPA: 3.65 (strong upward trend with near straight A's my last two years. UG solidly known for grade deflation)

Science GPA: 3.55

MCAT Scores: 520 (130/130/130/130)

Research – include any abstracts/posters/publications and how you were credited (eg. First author, senior author, etc):

5000+ hours with honors thesis (1000), multiple internships (800), and two years of full time work in HIV/ COVID-19 research for a Harvard lab (4000)

I have two poster presentations (one on campus and one at national conference) and some coauthorships on abstracts. Should have a publication around interview season as an update.

Volunteering (clinical) – include hours/sites: I have very little clinical “volunteering” because I had certifications to work in healthcare and did that for many years.

Physician shadowing – include hours/specialties:

40 ish hours of physician shadowing in the emergency department.

Non-clinical volunteering:

Leader of sexual assault advocacy group throughout college (many hours a week spent working with survivors, running phone lines, setting up events, and working with college title IX administration) (~400 hours).

Current search and rescue team member (One weekend every month of training plus searches) (~200 hours).

Part of multiple efforts to promote queer inclusion on campus and visibility (a couple hours a month) (~50 hours).

Crisis text line (~ 200 hours)

Extracurricular activities:

Varsity Athlete for a unique team sport throughout college with a national championship and multiple leadership awards (15-20 hours per week) (~2000 hours).

Current youth coach for climbing (5-10 hours per week) (~500 hours).

Hobbies: Climbing and backpacking

Employment history:

Worked as CNA/ED tech full-time on every break from college for 4 years (50+ hours per week during all breaks) (~1600 hours).

Worked as a tutor, TA, and lab assistant for many years across multiple disciplines in college (10-15 hours per week for 3 years) (1000+ hours).

Worked several other odd jobs during college such as being a secretary or barista

Immediate family members in medicine? (y/n): No

Specialty of interest: Emergency Medicine or Surgery

Graduate degrees: none

Interest in rural health (y/n): Y, I am from a rural area originally.

Harvard (Near my partner so I have to try lol)

Yale (Seem to recruit queer applicants)

Northwestern (considered URM)

UChicago

Michigan (strong ties)

Duke

Pitt

Vanderbilt (IS but private)

Mayo

Emory

Colorado

Brown

Case Western

Dartmouth (Strong ties)

BU (strong ties)

Tufts (strong ties)

Cincinnati

Ohio State

Wake Forest

Vermont

Medical College of Wisconsin (considered URM)

Tennessee (IS)

ETSU (IS)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have a good list and should receive several interviews. You could add any of these schools:
Tulane
Miami
Kaiser
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Rochester

Members don't see this ad :)
You have a good list and should receive several interviews. You could add any of these schools:
Tulane
Miami
Kaiser
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Rochester

Thank you!! I am definitely still considering adding Tulane, Hofstra, or Einstein specifically so I appreciate the advice.

Tulane
Miami
Kaiser
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Rochester
Thank you so much! This is a huge confidence boost after thinking I was way overreaching.

I agree with Faha. Also add JHU. Consider all NYC Titans, UCSF, UCLA, Keck as well.
Thank you! I have been looking for an excuse to add JHU (love their curriculum/program and EM residency) even though I am well below their average for GPA so I will definitely apply.