SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Final transcripts but you already have a degree..

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by E'01, Dec 7, 2001.

1. E'01

E'01 1K Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 26, 2001
    NY
    For those who have finished undergrad, if we plan to take one course in the spring, do we have to submit a transcript to the schools we are applying to (not just the ones that you may have been accepted to - but all the ones that you are still interested in). This is all in relation to calculus II. I'm planning to take it just in case the 2 schools I've applied to that requires a year of math, interview me. But my advisor was saying that I can drop the class if I don't get those interviews. I'm afraid that I would still have to submit that transcript to my med schools - and they may frown upon the Drop or Withdraw grade.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Brian20

Brian20 Member 7+ Year Member

Dec 3, 2001
    New York
    i would listen to my advisor, but you are in a peculiar position. you dont want to drop the class and have to tell these schools you did that, especially if you get wait listed at one. i would either take the class and try to jam, or not even bother. just dont get screwed sending a letter to a school saying that you dropped a class. that never looks good.

it sucks, if you dont get interviews at these schools that require calc, then you're taking a class for nothing. its really a tough call.

what are your chances at the schools that require calc???

4. E'01

Jun 26, 2001
    NY
    Thanks so much Brian for responding. If I'm not REQUIRED to tell schools I dropped, then I wouldn't. But I know what you're saying though...this is so frustrating! I could be wasting $600 not to much mention my time. As for whether I have a shot getting into those two schools (Wash U and Harvard)...I have no idea. It's all a crapshoot. I don't think I'd get in but I applied because I got a Med-Mar letter from Wash U encouraing me to apply and I did the Harvard post-bac.

5. nochaser

nochaser Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Aug 31, 2001
    chicago
    You mention that the schools require a year in math--does this mean you have only had one math class, calc I and need II? Or do they specifically want a year of calc? If the latter, then definitely take it in the spring.

6. EMTgirl

EMTgirl Member 7+ Year Member

Oct 30, 2001
    i am in your exact situation, except with biochem. my plan (after bombing the final today) is to not submit my transcripts. although i listed on many of my secondaries that i was taking the class, i really think that schools are too bogged down with crap to worry about what grade i get in biochem. plus this is the only class i am taking at this school. that's my two cents...just take the class and get it over with, and deal with submitting your transcrips only if the schools ask.

7. E'01

Jun 26, 2001
    NY
    nochaser _ I'm not sure of what you were saying...what's the difference between the 2 scenarios you mentioned? Yes, I did take Calc I. Cal I and II don't equal a year of math?

I hear your trouble EMTgirl :( Do you have to take biochem II?

8. E'01

Jun 26, 2001
    NY
    bump

9. nochaser

nochaser Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Aug 31, 2001
    chicago
    E'01,

I was asking whether or not the req was for either a year in math--which could be pre-calc one semester and calc I the next--OR, do those schools specifically want a year of calc--calc I and calc II?

In the case of the former, if you have only taken one math course, calc I, then a year would mean taking calc II.

10. none

none 1K Member 10+ Year Member

Jul 27, 2001
    Pre-calc may not count. It may be considered high school level work, but many classes in statistics and some in computer science most likely will.

11. TwoSteveSquared

TwoSteveSquared Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I recommend taking stats. It's easy, it's helpful for writing research papers, and it should fulfill the requirement. Why not add an easy "A" to your transcript?

12. E'01

Jun 26, 2001
    NY
    Ahhh I understand now. Thanks :) Well those two schools both ask for a year of calculus - calc through differential equations, or something like that. I WISHED stats counted...I took that as an undergrad, but it doesn't - at least not for those 2 schools.