DJspreadsheet

inside the box
5+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2013
Status
As a hypothetical, pretend you slalomed through residency without really reading anything. You're competent, but the reality is there's a lot of probably basic things you don't know because you haven't been reading.

What are the most important books to read over the course of your last year of residency to "catch up."

ara96

2+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2016
Status
Resident [Any Field]
As a hypothetical, pretend you slalomed through residency without really reading anything. You're competent, but the reality is there's a lot of probably basic things you don't know because you haven't been reading.

What are the most important books to read over the course of your last year of residency to "catch up."
I'm curious how you got through the PRITES if you feel like you are so behind? The PRITE is a good basis for your knowledge and your ability to perform well on the boards from what my attendings have told me.

Extralong

7+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2011
I sleep with the fishes
Status
Resident [Any Field], Attending Physician

Absolutely hilarious! I bet post-residency reality hit you hard or will probably hit you hard. All I have to say is that you'll probably have to actually read.

northernpsy

Psychiatrist. No, I'm not analyzing you
Jan 20, 2016
Status
Attending Physician
If you take it seriously, I'd think that studying for the board certification exam will help fill in some gaps.

Extralong

7+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2011
I sleep with the fishes
Status
Resident [Any Field], Attending Physician
Or just find a job that'll let you be board eligible for the max of 5 years and just catch up on those things you missed in all your PGY years with a year to spare. ;)

splik

Professional Cat at Large
7+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2009
Status
Attending Physician