Finalizing Rank List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

misyel

PGY-0
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the support throughout this interview season. I am finalizing my rank list for General Surgery categorical positions. Although I have already have a tentative list made up based on my general impressions and gut-feeling about the programs, I would like to ask for your opinion regarding certain programs I don't have very strong feelings about:

UMass
UMDNJ RWJ Camden
Penn State Hershey
U of IL Chicago
SUNY Upstate
UCSF Fresno
Penn State - Lehigh Valley Hospital
Hospital of St. Raphael - New Haven, CT
INOVA Fairfax Hospital - VA
St. Vincent's Hospital - Manhattan
New York Hospital of Queens
St. Elizabeth Medical Center - Boston

I'd like to seek a fellowship position in colorectal surgery someday, and I'd like to know if a residency training in a University program will give me an advantage, as opposed to being trained in a university-affiliate or community-based program.

Thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad.

I think it depends on the program...some community ones have a great history of placing people into fellowships and some academic university ones do not.

The Colorectal Department at Hershey is very strong and when I left they were approved for a Colorectal fellowship...not sure if its up and running yet. Dr. Koltun is well regarded and respected in his field and I would imagine that if they did not have a fellowship there, he would be quite instrumental in helping you match elsewhere (which he has done for others interested in CRS).

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the support throughout this interview season. I am finalizing my rank list for General Surgery categorical positions. Although I have already have a tentative list made up based on my general impressions and gut-feeling about the programs, I would like to ask for your opinion regarding certain programs I don't have very strong feelings about:

UMass
UMDNJ RWJ Camden
Penn State Hershey
U of IL Chicago
SUNY Upstate
UCSF Fresno
Penn State - Lehigh Valley Hospital
Hospital of St. Raphael - New Haven, CT
INOVA Fairfax Hospital - VA
St. Vincent's Hospital - Manhattan
New York Hospital of Queens
St. Elizabeth Medical Center - Boston

I'd like to seek a fellowship position in colorectal surgery someday, and I'd like to know if a residency training in a University program will give me an advantage, as opposed to being trained in a university-affiliate or community-based program.

Thank you very much!

I am in the process of making my ROL and I am particularly interested in what you guys have to say about
SUNY Buffalo
SUNY Upstate
UMDNJ RWJ Camden
Maimonides
New York Hospital Queens

Members don't see this ad :)
bump......any comments?

bump......any comments?

None of the active members here are residents at any of the programs you've listed. You might do a search on these programs and see if any old threads crop up but I'd venture that there just aren't enough residents here with detailed info about any of these programs.

I can tell you that you'll get good trauma experience at Camden.:scared:

bump......any comments?

I don't really have anything constructive to add, I'm just curious as to whether or not a thread in the surgery forum ever needs a bump after only a day. Unlike the pre-allo or allo forums, there are usually only about two or three threads really going here, so it isn't like your thread was lost in the shuffle.

Going away now...

I don't really have anything constructive to add, I'm just curious as to whether or not a thread in the surgery forum ever needs a bump after only a day. Unlike the pre-allo or allo forums, there are usually only about two or three threads really going here, so it isn't like your thread was lost in the shuffle.

Going away now...

bump :D

Prettiest Hospital:
LeHigh
INOVA

Ugliest Hospital:
Fresno
Camden

Hottest Weather/Dry Heat:
Fresno

Hottest Weather/Humid Heat:
Camden

Coldest:
SUNY Upstate
Boston
Mass
U of I

Most Dangerous:
Camden

Safest:
Hershey

Smells Like Cows:
Hershey
Fresno

Smells Like Chocolate:
Hershey

Smells Like Rubber:
LeHigh

Most Things to Do Nearby:
Boston
Mass
any of the NYC programs
INOVA

Have to have a car/Worst Public Transportation:
Hershey
LeHigh
Fresno

Best Public Transportation:
NYC
U of I
Boston
INOVA

Best/Worst Board Pass Rates:
http://home.absurgery.org/default.jsp?prog_passreport

Wow. Just looked at that board pass rates list. UTSW, no matter what malignancy grade you give them, can apparently teach the residents how to take the written and oral boards. For any program to have 45 people consecutively take and pass the written and oral boards on the first go around is pretty impressive. Most programs have someone that is weak in some area and may have to take it twice or whatever.

Scott & White and Swedish were pretty good too although far few people than UTSW.

Just a comment but it goes to show everyone that it doesn't matter if you're at a "BIG TIME" university program or a community program. It's simply about the program and not the name or research or funding or whatever.

Wow. Just looked at that board pass rates list. UTSW, no matter what malignancy grade you give them, can apparently teach the residents how to take the written and oral boards. For any program to have 45 people consecutively take and pass the written and oral boards on the first go around is pretty impressive.

Hear, Hear!

And props to the folks down at S+W in Temple for the sweet scores... Who says Aggies can't read!?

Gotta go. Time to go back to beating junior residents unconscious and screaming at medical students...