DO Finalizing School List! Advice please :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tiffxp

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

So I am finalizing my school list and would like to have some input from you guys. Thank you so much for all the support and help so far in the app process!

Short Summary about myself:
I am a dual citizen- Both American and Canadian; currently in Canada (so no residency)
cGPA and sGPA are around 3.41 (upward trend; included post-bac retakes)
around 1000 hours of community, hospital and research work
60 hours of Shadowing DO and 2 DO letters
Will know my MCAT score in 2 weeks

Here is my school list (I plan on applying broadly but at the same time I don't want to waste money on schools that I have low chance of getting in); Please let me know which one to take off the list and which one to add! On a side note, how is the new school Arkansas college of osteopathic medicine?

1. ACOM
2. ATSU-KCOM
3. ATSU-SOMA
4. AZCOM/MWU
5. CUSOM
6. DMU-COM
7. KCU-COM
8. LECOM
9. LMU-DCOM
10. NSU-COM
11. PCOM
12. GA-COM
13. PNWU-COM
14. RVUCOM-UT
15. RVUCOM-CO
16. TOUROCOM-NY
17. TUNCOM
18. UNECOM
19. VCOM-CC
20. VCOM-Auburn
21. WCUCOM
22. WVSOM
23. WesternU/COMP-NW
24. BCOM
25. Michigan State

Members don't see this ad.

Can you break down your research and community work? Any leadership activities?

So far your EC's look solid but without an MCAT score it's hard to cut your list down./

Personally, I think if your MCAT score is lower than 508 you can cut out Touro-NY, both RVU's, and AZCOM. I know PNWU is very regionally specific and although you don't have a residency, places that very much draw from a particular place might be hard. But I could be wrong. PCOM is also a hard one, since it's a lot of in-state students that matriculate. I think you have a really solid chance at MSUCOM because of their Canadian initiative, and especially if you hit their 505 median or higher. Let us know when you get your score!

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I think if your MCAT score is lower than 508 you can cut out Touro-NY, both RVU's, and AZCOM. I know PNWU is very regionally specific and although you don't have a residency, places that very much draw from a particular place might be hard. But I could be wrong. PCOM is also a hard one, since it's a lot of in-state students that matriculate. I think you have a really solid chance at MSUCOM because of their Canadian initiative, and especially if you hit their 505 median or higher. Let us know when you get your score!

I disagree with the 508. There is more wiggle room than that for those schools.
Right now it's worthless picking schools until you get your MCAT.
But, you can dump MSU and PWNU

Reactions: 1 user
I disagree with the 508. There is more wiggle room than that for those schools.
Right now it's worthless picking schools until you get your MCAT.
But, you can dump MSU and PWNU
Why would OP dump MSU? They reserve spots specifically for Canadian students each year.

Why would OP dump MSU? They reserve spots specifically for Canadian students each year.

Because it's 80K a year and he has dual citizenship so it doesn't matter.

Because it's 80K a year and he has dual citizenship so it doesn't matter.
I believe they give a 20,000 a year scholarship to Canadian students, idk it may still be worth it imo.

Hey all,

So I am finalizing my school list and would like to have some input from you guys. Thank you so much for all the support and help so far in the app process!

Short Summary about myself:
I am a dual citizen- Both American and Canadian; currently in Canada (so no residency)
cGPA and sGPA are around 3.41 (upward trend; included post-bac retakes)
around 1000 hours of community, hospital and research work
60 hours of Shadowing DO and 2 DO letters
Will know my MCAT score in 2 weeks

Here is my school list (I plan on applying broadly but at the same time I don't want to waste money on schools that I have low chance of getting in); Please let me know which one to take off the list and which one to add! On a side note, how is the new school Arkansas college of osteopathic medicine?

1. ACOM
2. ATSU-KCOM
3. ATSU-SOMA
4. AZCOM/MWU
5. CUSOM
6. DMU-COM
7. KCU-COM
8. LECOM
9. LMU-DCOM
10. NSU-COM
11. PCOM
12. GA-COM
13. PNWU-COM
14. RVUCOM-UT
15. RVUCOM-CO
16. TOUROCOM-NY
17. TUNCOM
18. UNECOM
19. VCOM-CC
20. VCOM-Auburn
21. WCUCOM
22. WVSOM
23. WesternU/COMP-NW
24. BCOM
25. Michigan State

Hey people,

So I got my MCAT scores back and here is the breakdown:

C/P: 128
CARS: 125 (yikes I know...)
Bio/Biochem: 132
P/S: 130

Total: 515

And to clarify, I have a combined 1000 hours worth of volunteering at homeless shelter, Research, Hospital Volunteer etc.
I got publications from my research as well. I also worked full time for a year in a science related field.

Please help me finalize my list :) and thank you for people who already put their inputs @femmegoblue @Rekt @AlteredScale
It would be great if @Goro can give me some awesome advice as well!

Um yeah you'll have your pick with the 515. And a 125 in the US isn't a bad CARS score, I know they are way more harsh in Canada, but I don't think it will hurt you necessarily.

It's a fine list and you have your pick of schools. Suggest deleting some of the newer schools and replacing with CCOM, MUCOM, Western and Touro-CA

Hey people,

So I got my MCAT scores back and here is the breakdown:

C/P: 128
CARS: 125 (yikes I know...)
Bio/Biochem: 132
P/S: 130

Total: 515

And to clarify, I have a combined 1000 hours worth of volunteering at homeless shelter, Research, Hospital Volunteer etc.
I got publications from my research as well. I also worked full time for a year in a science related field.

Please help me finalize my list :) and thank you for people who already put their inputs @femmegoblue @Rekt @AlteredScale
It would be great if @Goro can give me some awesome advice as well!

Reactions: 1 user
Even as an international there are MD schools worth taking a shot on with your academic profile