Finalizing School List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hoang Nguyen

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good morning,
I'm finalizing my school list to apply this upcoming cycle. My current stats are GPA (oGPA 3.85 and sGPA 3.8) ,DAT (19TS,19AA,18PAT, none below 17), some extracurriculars(member of church choir(4 years), pre-dent society, shadowing(~160 hrs), vice president of Vietnamese student association (2 years), a data-mining related research published, tutor, research assistant, internship,..), TX resident . I plan to apply early (early June) and scheduling my DAT retake around end of June or mid-July. I already spent the whole working on my pre-reqs (got a bachelor in computer science and math), so I really wanna get in this cycle. This's the list of schools I plan to apply, I really appreciate any advices.
Public state schools:
_3 TX schools.
_Buffalo, Utah, Pitt, Temple, Indiana , VCU , Iowa , Minnesota, Maryland, Louisville, UNLV (I heard these schools accept some OOS).
Private schools:
_Roseman, Detroit Mercy, Marquette, Creighton, Case Western , Touro , Loma Linda, Western, Nova & Lecom.
_Both AT (AZ and Missouri), both Midwestern (AZ and IL).
_Howard (I have a Vietnamese friend went there and just graduated).
THANK YOU :) .

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey Hoang! Your stats are good. I was very particular on where I applied (9 schools, offered interviews at 7, went to 5, accepted at 3). Applying to 20 plus schools is ALOT of money and a lot of time traveling and taking off work/school. I guarantee you will have MULTIPLE interview offers and you'll get tired after the 7th. I would start being particular of location (the dental school is in the city, how is the weather) and price.

Definitely since you are a Texas resident, your chances of entering a Texas school are higher. However, I interviewed at VCU and Pitt and I LOVED both and was accepted to both. I will be attending Pitt in the fall. But definitely keep them on your list.

If you plan to specialize, LECOM is GD-oriented. Keep that in mind.

Hey Hoang! Your stats are good. I was very particular on where I applied (9 schools, offered interviews at 7, went to 5, accepted at 3). Applying to 20 plus schools is ALOT of money and a lot of time traveling and taking off work/school. I guarantee you will have MULTIPLE interview offers and you'll get tired after the 7th. I would start being particular of location (the dental school is in the city, how is the weather) and price.

Definitely since you are a Texas resident, your chances of entering a Texas school are higher. However, I interviewed at VCU and Pitt and I LOVED both and was accepted to both. I will be attending Pitt in the fall. But definitely keep them on your list.

If you plan to specialize, LECOM is GD-oriented. Keep that in mind.
Thank you. Mind I ask what's your residency? and your stat? Yeh, my list's so long ^.^' I'm working on it now :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with floss. You should narrow down your list and include 1-2 safety schools, 1-2 reach school, & 5-7 schools where you have a good chance of getting an acceptance & you think you will like. I highly suggest that if you have the time and resources to take a trip to atleast one or two schools outside of Texas to see if you like the location/weather. As you know, Texas has about 10 seasons a year

***Don’t apply to A&M without either taking A&P or planning to take it in future coursework before matriculation. Dr. Miller will definitely ask you about it in the interview.

Reactions: 1 user
wow. your DAT's really high, I hope I reach that score for this retake. Congrats on Pitt :D what others schools did you apply? and got interviews from? :D
I applied to UF(interviewed and denied), LECOM(interviewed and denied), VCU(interviewed and accepted), NYU(offered interview but I denied), Tufts(interviewed and accepted), Temple, Pitt(interviewed and going in the Fall! ), BU, and UAB. My bad I was offered 6 interviews, not 7. Ghosted from BU and Temple (I applied late to Temple). UAB I withdrew my app after Dec 3rd cause I got into my preferred schools by then.

I agree with floss. You should narrow down your list and include 1-2 safety schools, 1-2 reach school, & 5-7 schools where you have a good chance of getting an acceptance & you think you will like. I highly suggest that if you have the time and resources to take a trip to atleast one or two schools outside of Texas to see if you like the location/weather. As you know, Texas has about 10 seasons a year

***Don’t apply to A&M without either taking A&P or planning to take it in future coursework before matriculation. Dr. Miller will definitely ask you about it in the interview.
Thank you. Yes, I already took A&P 1 and plan to take the second part this Fall. I heard the rumor saying TX school committees don't like to see you apply to too many schools, is it real?

I applied to UF(interviewed and denied), LECOM(interviewed and denied), VCU(interviewed and accepted), NYU(offered interview but I denied), Tufts(interviewed and accepted), Temple, Pitt(interviewed and going in the Fall! ), BU, and UAB. My bad I was offered 6 interviews, not 7. Ghosted from BU and Temple (I applied late to Temple). UAB I withdrew my app after Dec 3rd cause I got into my preferred schools by then.
It's awesome :) Pitt's a great school :D

Thank you. Yes, I already took A&P 1 and plan to take the second part this Fall. I heard the rumor saying TX school committees don't like to see you apply to too many schools, is it real?

Sorry to say but I haven't heard about that rumor. I do wish you all the luck when you are applying :).

Reactions: 1 user