Finally ACCEPTED at NYU, but should I go there???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalArt

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I finally got accepted to NYU today and I really don't know what to do because I am waitlisted at Buffalo and really, really want to go there. One of the main reasons is because it is much cheaper and the other is that the class size is much smaller (better education,clinical,etc,.)
What do you guys suggest I do? My friends and the dentist I shadowed told me not to take the year off even if it means going to NYU. Is it possible to transfer out of NYU to some other school after the first year? Should I call Buffalo and tell them about my acceptance at NYU and ask them to make a decision?

Any advice will be highly appreciated and below is a token of gratitude...

Token of Gratitude

To those of you who've consistently contributed to writing messages in the Pre-Dental forum,
I would just like to let you know that your effort has not gone unnoticed. Throughout the past few months of stress, I've been one of this forum's frequent silent visitors. I would visit the forum when I felt frustrated. Just knowing that there were plenty of people out there going through or have gone through the process was extremely comforting. Your comments and suggestions have mostly been helpful and even inspirational to me from time to time. With the suggestions that I received from this forum and my determination to follow through, I was able to get accepted to NYUCD.
Now that I'm finally going somewhere :) , I'm ready to pass down the torch and offer any help anyone needs.
Again, thank you all !! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hardly anyone gets off of waitlists and into classes, there is no way you can count on this to happen. Maybe next year you dont even make the waitlist, then what? wait another year? no way.

Go to NYU dude, you're lucky you got in, thousands of other people would kill for your spot right now.

Welcome to SDN DentalArt! I don't think transfering (if even possible) is a good idea. My advice to you is to throw down a deposit to save your spot at NYU.......and I would also call and speak with someone at buffalo to see how your application is doing. When you call try to avoid sounding urgent or pushy though. Just make sure that you talk to a dean and let him know how important this information is to you. Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, Buffalo made their decision...you're waitlisted. Calling them will do little. I know it sucks and sometimes seems worse then a flat out "no".

I don't know about you but this application cycle sucked hairy donkey ba11s for me and I would never, by my own will, do it again! Go to NYU. You applied there so it must have been an acceptable choice to you. Just prepare for NYU and pray for that rare call 2 weeks before class starts saying that Buffalo wants you. Don't hold your breath tho!

they're right man, should just go to NYU, i'm probably gonna end up going there too, just be glad u got a spot, where a huge number of applicants couldn't. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Go to NYU. Good luck. :thumbup:

What exactly are your hang ups with NYU..? Is there something at the school that discomforts you? There is an old saying among dentist that the best dental school in the country is the one that accepts you. TAKE THIS OPPORTUNITY AND RUN...

congrats on your acceptances.

Hd

The more questions like this that I see on SDN the more I wish these people would just decline their acceptance because they dont deserve to go to dental school. There are thousands of people dying to get in ANYwhere that would move their entire lives over night 3,000 miles just for the opportunity. Then theres guys like this who apply to schools, get accepted, then ponder whether they should sit out a year. :rolleyes:

JohnUNLV said:
The more questions like this that I see on SDN the more I wish these people would just decline their acceptance because they dont deserve to go to dental school. There are thousands of people dying to get in ANYwhere that would move their entire lives over night 3,000 miles just for the opportunity. Then theres guys like this who apply to schools, get accepted, then ponder whether they should sit out a year. :rolleyes:

Nah...don't be so harsh JohnUNLV. DentalArt has perfect reasons to be apprehensive about going to NYU. It's a damn large school in a damn large city. in any case, DentalArt, getting in from the waitlist at Buffalo seemed a little bit farfetched this cycle so yes, put down that $10,000 :laugh: deposit at NYU and get ready for dental school this year; don't look back, don't second guess yourself! Good luck!

martinelli said:
Nah...don't be so harsh JohnUNLV. DentalArt has perfect reasons to be apprehensive about going to NYU. It's a damn large school in a damn large city. in any case, DentalArt, getting in from the waitlist at Buffalo seemed a little bit farfetched this cycle so yes, put down that $10,000 :laugh: deposit at NYU and get ready for dental school this year; don't look back, don't second guess yourself! Good luck!

WOW, $10,000 for deposit!!!??? Is that what it is???

Don't worry DentalArt. I'm in the same situation. I've gotten into NYU and have been waitlisted at Buffalo. I'm going to send in my second deposit at NYU by may1st. However, if buffalo calls me two weeks before school starts, i'll probably go there. If they don't, sure NYU will cost a lot. But I do not want to wait another year to apply, so I'll just have to be happy with NYU. I'm actually pretty excited about NYU. Despite the comments from few people on this board, I've heard NYU is a great school. Many dentists in my hometown went to NYU and they say it's an excellent clinical school!

DentalArt - If this is the only school you got into, this should be a no brainer... Go to NYU! NYU is a great school with lots of opportunities and resources. I believe you get out what you put in. In other words, if you work hard and put the time and effort in dental school at NYU, there should be no reason why you shouldn't leave NYU (or any dental school for that matter) a great clinician. It has the largest patient pool in the U.S. and students there say they are well booked with patients. NYU is striving to become one of the best dental schools in the country...and after researching the school, speaking with students/faculty, and touring the school, I believe they are headed in that direction.

Yes, the large class size can be a turnoff to some, but a positive to others. I personally don't mind either way. I've been in classes with over 300 people and classes with 20 people. Its all about how hard YOU are working and making sure YOU make the grade!

Congrats on your acceptance and hope to see you next fall! :thumbup:

Rite on Generallee!

Members don't see this ad :)
JohnUNLV said:
I second that ...

i feel you are not worthy of getting in now. just drop your name and let someone else take the spot.

Can anyone confirm that the deposit is really $10,000... I'm sure it will be stated in my official acceptance letter, but I'm curious...

Thanks!

Generallee said:
Can anyone confirm that the deposit is really $10,000... I'm sure it will be stated in my official acceptance letter, but I'm curious...

Thanks!

the deposit is not 10,000... That's ridiculous... the first deposit is $500 and the second is 2,000... The second is due by may 1...

Prelude82 said:
the deposit is not 10,000... That's ridiculous... the first deposit is $500 and the second is 2,000... The second is due by may 1...

Yeah, the $10k is absurd. Are you sure the second is $2000 I thought it was $1500..I'll have to find that letter. :confused:

DentalArt said:
Well, I finally got accepted to NYU today and I really don't know what to do because I am waitlisted at Buffalo and really, really want to go there. One of the main reasons is because it is much cheaper and the other is that the class size is much smaller (better education,clinical,etc,.)
What do you guys suggest I do? My friends and the dentist I shadowed told me not to take the year off even if it means going to NYU. Is it possible to transfer out of NYU to some other school after the first year? Should I call Buffalo and tell them about my acceptance at NYU and ask them to make a decision?

I second some of the other posts and say put down the NYU deposits and be very very happy you are going to dental school next year.

If in the next 5 months Buffalo offers you a spot in their class, you will only be losing a few thousand from the NYU deposit. But, if you wait another year, you are losing a year salary as a dentist and a year of your youthful brain. Plus there are NO guarantees that you will be taken to Buffalo next year.

I went though this myslef. I was accepted first to NYU, I was happy to know that I was going somewhere and I paid them the first deposit. Then I got interview from UCLA, which ended up taking me, so I withdrew from NYU and paid UCLA theirs deposit.

Mysteree said:
Yeah, the $10k is absurd. Are you sure the second is $2000 I thought it was $1500..I'll have to find that letter. :confused:

Goodness Gracious people! :rolleyes: I was being facetious. :p I have no idea how much the deposit it; I was merely trying to say that even though the deposit might seem like a lot at the moment and the OP is probably fretting over handing this money to a school that he has reservations about--but since he has NOT been accepted to the school of his choice, it is best if he put down a deposit at NYU, no matter how large it is and see where it goes from there. Who knows, maybe he'll get in Buffalo, maybe he won't, but why give up the chance to go to dental school this year.

I can't help but notice the effort that NYU has put into making their school presentable online. I have visited NYU medical school several years ago(when one of my bro's friend was at NYU med school) I stayed over the weekend at his dorm, it goes without saying that the neighborhood is MUCH better than the neighborhood that Columbia (bordering Harlem) and its medical campus are located. Since according to google the dental school is in the same area, I'd say NYU would be my first choice for dental schools within NYC.

You should save that spot at NYU. I would not wait around until Buffalo calls. I know NYU is expensive but think about the earning potential you would be sacrificing if you waited another year. ( and possibly did not get in the 2nd year).There are several Student loan repayment options i.e Military, Indian Health Services, Community Health clinics etc...

786mine said:
i feel you are not worthy of getting in now. just drop your name and let someone else take the spot.

Guys,
I am so happy that I have been accepted to NYU. For the past 2 days, I've slept for less than 5 hours only because I can't stop thinking about it...I am so excited.
All I am saying is that I would rather go to Buffalo...but going to NYU is greeaaat! It's also an accomplishment for someone who raised his GPA from 2.5 to 3.45...

Thanks for all your comments :thumbup:

DentalArt said:

Any advice will be highly appreciated and below is a token of gratitude...

Token of Gratitude

To those of you who've consistently contributed to writing messages in the Pre-Dental forum,
I would just like to let you know that your effort has not gone unnoticed. Throughout the past few months of stress, I've been one of this forum's frequent silent visitors. I would visit the forum when I felt frustrated. Just knowing that there were plenty of people out there going through or have gone through the process was extremely comforting. Your comments and suggestions have mostly been helpful and even inspirational to me from time to time. With the suggestions that I received from this forum and my determination to follow through, I was able to get accepted to NYUCD.
Now that I'm finally going somewhere :) , I'm ready to pass down the torch and offer any help anyone needs.
Again, thank you all !! :)

I just declined Buffalo two days ago. More seats are available now. They will send out more acceptances after April 1st.

put ur deposit at NYU. lots of ppl get in from the waitlist...call buffalo and tell them they are your top choice....trust me...just call them and tell them.