-

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted760362

Hello everyone. I am extremely nervous about sharing this post because I have never done this before and I am honestly not sure if this is the correct forum, so I apologize in advance. I hope to get some good advice from those that might have gone through something similar or can just give me some general guidance on what would be best. Please be nice and give me honest answers because I really don't have others to ask for advice.

I got into med school last year after working for that moment my whole life (something a lot of premeds can relate with). I had some difficulty adjusting during Block 1 (living in a new area, COVID restrictions, new learning environment, med school curriculum etc.) however I managed to get through most of it. However, there was one exception, I failed my Micro class and had to go into remediation. During remediation I worked extremely hard to find out where my weaknesses were and talked to faculty and other students to develop better study strategies. I felt okay coming out of my remediation exam but I later found out that I had failed it again. I was extremely disappointed in myself (cried for days) and it took a lot out of me to keep going. To realize that while its very important to do well academically we are not defined by our scores and that we all have worth. So I decided to appeal the decision for dismissal to the dean and provost of the school and ultimately they have upheld the decision and offered me a withdrawal instead of a dismissal which I am still very thankful for.

This school has a masters program linked with it and while talking with the provost and some faculty, they all have mentioned/hinted that it might be a good idea to go through this masters program and if I do really really well (I am confident I can do well in this) then I can be offered a chance to interview at the school. They have also mentioned that they really like me as a person and admire my drive and hard work.

So my question is, do I apply for the masters program and give this a shot (what I am leaning towards now) or am I just wasting my time because I have no chance due to my academic withdrawal, which I know from reading many similar posts, is nearly impossible to come back from? what kind of questions should be I asking the dean if I were to meet with them in regards to readmission?

I also want to share that becoming a physician is my only passion and I honestly would feel lost without this path. I don't have many other options except starting over with a whole new career.

Any advice that you guys have moving forward would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading this long post!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Care
Reactions: 8 users
I think this should be answered by someone who has experience in the admissions committee like @Goro. I just really can’t see you getting another acceptance after withdrawing from medical school. This withdrawal would obviously have to be explained so one way or another the truth would come out... but let’s see what he thinks.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think this should be answered by someone who has experience in the admissions committee like @Goro. I just really can’t see you getting another acceptance after withdrawing from medical school. This withdrawal would obviously have to be explained so one way or another the truth would come out... but let’s see what he thinks.
Thank you so much for your input, I really appreciate it. So even if I were to do really well in the associated masters program for my school, somewhat proving to them that I have the foundations down for Block 1, my chances will still be very slim?

Wait... your school wants you do a master's program, and only if you excel, you'll only get an interview? That's it? Not a readmit?
So in my appeal letter I mentioned the masters program and in their decision letter they stated that the masters program is not a bad idea but it not guaranteed readmission.

So in my appeal letter I mentioned the masters program and in their decision letter they stated that the masters program is not a bad idea but it not guarantee readmission.

That sucks i'm really sorry :(

Idk. Your best chance is to do the master's and hopefully your school will take you back in. I was hoping for a guaranteed readmit to be a great opportunity for redemption but this... this sucks.

Edit: are there anything else that's closest to getting your school to readmit you? Anything? It's just one course you're struggling.

Thank you so much for your input, I really appreciate it. So even if I were to do really well in the associated masters program for my school, somewhat proving to them that I have the foundations down for Block 1, my chances will still be very slim?
I misunderstood, I thought this was a masters program to a different school. That is even stranger that they are even suggesting that idea with no guaranteed acceptance. That doesn’t sound like great advice considering that masters program would put you into substantial debt without any assurance of getting back into medical school.

That sucks i'm really sorry :(

Idk. Your best chance is to do the master's and hopefully your school will take you back in. I was hoping for a guaranteed readmit to be a great opportunity for redemption but this... this sucks.

Edit: are there anything else that's closest to getting your school to readmit you? Anything? It's just one course you're struggling.
Thank you so much for your response, it honestly means so much during this time.

I passed all of my other classes for Block 1, it was just Micro that I failed. I have honestly tried everything and mentioned anything I could think of in my appeal letter in hopes of making it into the masters program and getting readmitted as long as I maintain certain benchmarks.

At this point I am also leaning towards the Masters program and hopefully a chance at readmission by next year.

I would probably do the masters program if I were in your shoes. I imagine a withdrawal is more difficult (maybe not impossible, with good stats or really compelling stories?) to pitch to other schools vs trying to convince your school via the masters that you're serious this time.

It sounds like you're dedicated to pursuing medicine. But if it doesn't work out for academic reasons -and the fact that you're at a DO school (I am too) and failed a remediation is a sign of this- I encourage you to have some semblance of a back up plan. Even a vague idea. Medicine is not life and it is not all your worth (or any of ours except maybe nsg ;)). Please don't let an attempt at something like med school ruin your self worth. I hope you succeed though.

Reactions: 4 users
Hello everyone. I am extremely nervous about sharing this post because I have never done this before and I am honestly not sure if this is the correct forum, so I apologize in advance. I hope to get some good advice from those that might have gone through something similar or can just give me some general guidance on what would be best. Please be nice and give me honest answers because I really don't have others to ask for advice.

I got into med school last year after working for that moment my whole life (something a lot of premeds can relate with). I had some difficulty adjusting during Block 1 (living in a new area, COVID restrictions, new learning environment, med school curriculum etc.) however I managed to get through most of it. However, there was one exception, I failed my Micro class and had to go into remediation. During remediation I worked extremely hard to find out where my weaknesses were and talked to faculty and other students to develop better study strategies. I felt okay coming out of my remediation exam but I later found out that I had failed it again. I was extremely disappointed in myself (cried for days) and it took a lot out of me to keep going. To realize that while its very important to do well academically we are not defined by our scores and that we all have worth. So I decided to appeal the decision for dismissal to the dean and provost of the school and ultimately they have upheld the decision and offered me a withdrawal instead of a dismissal which I am still very thankful for.

This school has a masters program linked with it and while talking with the provost and some faculty, they all have mentioned/hinted that it might be a good idea to go through this masters program and if I do really really well (I am confident I can do well in this) then I can be offered a chance to interview at the school. They have also mentioned that they really like me as a person and admire my drive and hard work.

So my question is, do I apply for the masters program and give this a shot (what I am leaning towards now) or am I just wasting my time because I have no chance due to my academic withdrawal, which I know from reading many similar posts, is nearly impossible to come back from? what kind of questions should be I asking the dean if I were to meet with them in regards to readmission?

I also want to share that becoming a physician is my only passion and I honestly would feel lost without this path. I don't have many other options except starting over with a whole new career.

Any advice that you guys have moving forward would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading this long post!
Very sorry to hear of this.

At our school, we never have offered the second chance to a failing student a route back in via our SMP, so your school's behavior s novel to me. In fact, it activated my New Yorker's innate cynicism, and my initial thought is that your school is trying to rip you off for another set tuition.

You say that you passed your other classes...by how much? If you were barely passing, then I don't see how the MS program will magically be better for your academics, other than having a lighter course load.

Ask your Admissions Dean has this "rescue" pathway ever been offered in the past and has it been successful?

I normally have the mindset of "you've had your chance, and you gave it your best shot, and that's all you can do, and so it's time for Plan B." BUT, I honestly don't know what I'd make of someone who failed out (well, withdrew your case....but we'd still see the F) of med school and then aced their school's SMP.

Let's call in the Big Guns:

@gyngyn
@Moko
@Mr.Smile12
@gonnif
@LunaOri
@wysdoc
@Doctor-S
@Maimonides1
@Faha
@lord999
@Catalystik

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 16 users
I would probably do the masters program if I were in your shoes. I imagine a withdrawal is more difficult (maybe not impossible, with good stats or really compelling stories?) to pitch to other schools vs trying to convince your school via the masters that you're serious this time.

It sounds like you're dedicated to pursuing medicine. But if it doesn't work out for academic reasons -and the fact that you're at a DO school (I am too) and failed a remediation is a sign of this- I encourage you to have some semblance of a back up plan. Even a vague idea. Medicine is not life and it is not all your worth (or any of ours except maybe nsg ;)). Please don't let an attempt at something like med school ruin your self worth. I hope you succeed though.
Thank you very much for your kind words and advice. I really hope that it works out but if it doesn't I guess it was not in the cards for me so I am trying to think of a plan B just in case.

Reactions: 1 user
Very sorry to hear of this.

At our school, we never have offered the second chance to a failing student a route back in via our SMP, so your school's behavior s novel to me. In fact, it activated my New Yorker's innate cynicism, and my initial thought is that your school is trying to rip you off for another set tuition.

You say that you passed your other classes...by how much? If you were barely passing, then I don't see how the MS program will magically be better for your academics, other than having a lighter course load.

Ask your Admissions Dean has this "rescue" pathway ever been offered in the past and has it been successful?

I normally have the mindset of "you've had your chance, and you gave it your best shot, and that's all you can do, and so it's time for Plan B." BUT, I honestly don't know what I'd make of someone who failed out (well, withdrew your case....but we'd still see the F) of med school and then aced their school's SMP.

Let's call in the Big Guns:

@gyngyn
@Moko
@Mr.Smile12
@gonnif
@LunaOri
@wysdoc
@Doctor-S
@Maimonides1
@Faha
@lord999
@Catalystik
I really appreciate your response @Goro, you are somewhat a celebrity around here and to get some advice from you, I am very thankful.

I passed Block 1 with ---. I am planning to meet my Admissions dean soon and I will definitely ask them this question.

I am trying to be optimistic about this and I am hoping the school is not taking this as a chance to rip off students because that would honestly tear me apart.

Members don't see this ad :)
So in my appeal letter I mentioned the masters program and in their decision letter they stated that the masters program is not a bad idea but it not guaranteed readmission.
First of all, I'm so sorry you're going through this.

Second of all, reading this carefully... who suggested the master's program first, you or the school? Because this post implies you brought it up first in your appeal letter, and they didn't shoot the idea down but were non-committal in the decision letter. That's VERY different from them "hinting it might be a good idea" as you said in your first post.

Unless they were the ones to suggest it first, I honestly strongly suspect this isn't a realistic path for you and you're interpreting their noncommittal response much more positively than you should. Just trying to be honest with you after what has already undoubtedly been a difficult year.

Reactions: 12 users
In fact, it activated my New Yorker's innate cynicism, and my initial thought is that your school is trying to rip you off for another set tuition.

I'm flattered that I was tagged. I have no experience with DO admissions, so take the following with a handful of salt.

@sseess, I unfortunately share @Goro's cynicism. Your greatest chance at getting back into any medical school is likely at your current school. Their offering "a chance to interview at the school" if you do well means absolutely nothing. For all we know, it can just be a courtesy interview. It's also a big "if" as there's no guarantee that you will excel in the Masters based on your current performance (3 As, 2 Bs, 1B+, and a C+).

I agree that you should ask them if anyone has successfully been readmitted after a "withdrawal" followed by a stellar SMP performance. If their answer is "no", then their agreeing that pursuing the Masters is "not a bad idea" seems like a cop-out on their part. Instead of dangling some false hope (and putting you further into debt with a SMP with no marketable value), they should just be honest that your chances at getting back into any medical school is slim after a failed remediation.

When you meet with the dean, I would recommend asking: "Should I start thinking about pursuing another career?" I suspect their answer will be "yes". If patient care truly is your calling, consider being a nurse, nurse practitioner, physician assistant, physical therapist, psychotherapist, social worker, etc. These are all careers that "make a difference" and offer financial stability. Just my humble thoughts. Best of luck.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 18 users
First of all, I'm so sorry you're going through this.

Second of all, reading this carefully... who suggested the master's program first, you or the school? Because this post implies you brought it up first in your appeal letter, and they didn't shoot the idea down but were non-committal in the decision letter. That's VERY different from them "hinting it might be a good idea" as you said in your first post.

Unless they were the ones to suggest it first, I honestly strongly suspect this isn't a realistic path for you and you're interpreting their noncommittal response much more positively than you should. Just trying to be honest with you after what has already undoubtedly been a difficult year.
Thank you for so much for your honest response and I really appreciate your consideration for my well being.

So the Masters program was brought up by my student academic advisor initially and we discussed it thoroughly before I put it into my appeal letter. In the decision letter that I received, it stated that because I have good reputation from my professors as a student and individual, it would be good to consider the Masters program...

This is honestly why I chose to write the post in the first place, to make sure that I am not taking small and augmenting it to find some hope throughout this process.

Thank you for so much for your honest response and I really appreciate your consideration for my well being.

So the Masters program was brought up by my student academic advisor initially and we discussed it thoroughly before I put it into my appeal letter. In the decision letter that I received, it stated that because I have good reputation from my professors as a student and individual, it would be good to consider the Masters program...

This is honestly why I chose to write the post in the first place, to make sure that I am not taking small and augmenting it to find some hope throughout this process.
Yeah idk. It's unfortunate that they are not being very transparent with you.

I would just be direct with the dean and ask if anyone else has done this path before and been successful, or if realistically you should consider an alternate career. Hopefully they will be straight with you.

Reactions: 11 users
I'm flattered that I was tagged. I have no experience with DO admissions, so take the following with a handful of salt.

@sseess, I unfortunately share @Goro's cynicism. Your greatest chance at getting back into any medical school is likely at your current school. Their offering "a chance to interview at the school" if you do well means absolutely nothing. For all we know, it can just be a courtesy interview. It's also a big "if" as there's no guarantee that you will excel in the Masters based on your current performance.

I agree that you should ask them if anyone has successfully been readmitted after a "withdrawal" followed by a stellar SMP performance. If their answer is "no", then their agreeing that pursuing the Masters is "not a bad idea" seems like a cop-out on their part. Instead of dangling some false hope (and putting you further into debt with a SMP with no marketable value), they should just be honest that your chances at getting back into any medical school is slim after a failed remediation.

When you meet with the dean, I would recommend asking: "Should I start thinking about pursuing another career?" I suspect their answer will be "yes". If patient care truly is your calling, consider being a nurse, nurse practitioner, physician assistant, physical therapist, psychotherapist, social worker, etc. These are all careers that "make a difference" and offer financial stability. Just my humble thoughts. Best of luck.
I am really grateful for your thorough response and advice.

When I meet with the dean I will certainly bring up your question. If they are vague in their response, in terms of readmission by saying that they honestly do not know what the future holds and words of this nature, should I take this as a no? or them actually being unsure about the process like I am?

Reactions: 1 users

When I meet with the dean I will certainly bring up your question. If they are vague in their response, in terms of readmission by saying that they honestly do not know what the future holds and words of this nature, should I take this as a no? or them actually being unsure about the process like I am?
I would take anything less than a definitive "yes, you have a very high chance of being readmitted if you do well" as a strong sign that you should consider other career paths. They like you, and they are human. It's natural for us in medical education to not want to hurt others' feelings. Unfortunately, the consequence of this is usually giving false hope, which really is doing a disservice to the other party (i.e. you).

And keep in mind that even if they give a definitive "yes", it's still contingent on your knocking the SMP out of the park, which again, based on your current performance, is far from a guarantee. If the Masters truly is a viable path for readmittance, only you can decide whether it's worth the risk and stress. As a risk-adverse person, I personally would choose another career path in healthcare and move on with my life. Just my honest thoughts.

Reactions: 10 users
Honestly i'm surprised the school is willing to crack down on the failure of one course so hard. I know failing isn't good especially failing twice but still.

I'm far more supportive of expelling students over bad professionalism issues. Expelling for a failure over a single course just feels... harsh.

I know it's not a dismissal but the withdrawal has a similar effect.

Reactions: 17 users
Thank you so much for your response, it honestly means so much during this time.

I passed all of my other classes for Block 1, it was just Micro that I failed. I have honestly tried everything and mentioned anything I could think of in my appeal letter in hopes of making it into the masters program and getting readmitted as long as I maintain certain benchmarks.

At this point I am also leaning towards the Masters program and hopefully a chance at readmission by next year.

Do the master's if you must but be ready for any outcome. Also maybe research other schools to apply to that don't throw the hammer down so hard. I didn't even know schools dismissed people like that.

I would take anything less than a definitive "yes, you have a very high chance of being readmitted if you do well" as a strong sign that you should consider other career paths. They like you, and they are human. It's natural for us in medical education to not want to hurt others' feelings. Unfortunately, the consequence of this is usually giving false hope, which really is doing a disservice to the other party (i.e. you).

And keep in mind that even if they give a definitive "yes", it's still contingent on your knocking the SMP out of the park, which again, based on your current performance, is far from a guarantee. If the Masters truly is a viable path for readmittance, only you can decide whether it's worth the risk and stress. As a risk-adverse person, I personally would choose another career path in healthcare and move on with my life. Just my honest thoughts.

^^^^This

Reactions: 2 users
Id also add like someone eluded to above, to look into PA, NP school. By the time you graduate they will be "doctors" with independent practice rights throughout the country. You'd have less debt, shorter training, "equal" respect and scope, and a much stronger lobby than doctors.

• Dislike
  • Okay...
Reactions: 9 users
Id also add like someone eluded to above, to look into PA, NP school. By the time you graduate they will be "doctors" with independent practice rights throughout the country. You'd have less debt, shorter training, "equal" respect and scope, and a much stronger lobby than doctors.
Thank you very much for your suggestions. Before deciding on DO, I was actually contemplating PA school and definitely do not look down on the profession because at the end of the day they are helping patients just like "doctors."

I am not sure if you are able to provide any advice, but judging from other posts, as in those that withdrew form med school and tried PA, not many of them have been successful in their path, would you still recommend it given my circumstance?

Id recommend applying to a bunch of stuff simultaneously, then making a decision based on your acceptances. When I applied to DO school, I had a really messed up transcript extendng 10+ years, with over 20 withdrawals. So, at the time I applied to both PA, and DO school. Ended up getting into both, then made my decision. Shotgun it, then make a choice. Don't throw all your eggs in one basket. Hell, apply to the masters program at the same time, then weigh the results.

If they're being vague, then I interpret that as them not being up front with you and saying "we don't want you back here".
Honestly i'm surprised the school is willing to crack down on the failure of one course so hard. I know failing isn't good especially failing twice but still.

I'm far more supportive of expelling students over bad professionalism issues. Expelling for a failure over a single course just feels... harsh.

I know it's not a dismissal but the withdrawal has a similar effect.
I suspect that it's not because of the F but because of the failed remediation. In the past at my school, that would lead to a dismissal as well. Now we avoid this by automatically making a failing student repeat the semester.

Reactions: 6 users
How viable is podiatric school as an alternative for this student? Have you considered non-physician doctorates in healthcare like DPM?

• Dislike
What does the student handbook say about remediation? At my school, if remediation fails, then the student is offered the chance to repeat the year. I am surprised they are so strict about a single block 1 course failure. Has anyone offered repeating the year? I'm so very sorry you are dealing with this. I might broach this option with the Dean if the student handbook doesn't explicitly discuss this. I'm puzzled because you clearly demonstrated you can handle other courses at the med school level. If they would agree, then I would take as many micro courses as you can before returning next fall. Good luck and best wishes!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 10 users
I know you are past this point but did you not use Sketchy micro for that block? That plus the lolnotacop associated flash cards should have had you passing easily

What does the student handbook say about remediation? At my school, if remediation fails, then the student is offered the chance to repeat the year. I am surprised they are so strict about a single block 1 course failure. Has anyone offered repeating the year? I'm so very sorry you are dealing with this. I might broach this option with the Dean if the student handbook doesn't explicitly discuss this. I'm puzzled because you clearly demonstrated you can handle other courses at the med school level. If they would agree, then I would take as many micro courses as you can before returning next fall. Good luck and best wishes!
It depends on the school. If the failure is nestled in other low performing scores in M1, dismissal is an option as the faculty deem the student too marginal to recover. The way it's asked at my school is whether we can expect to see this student again in academic jeopardy. If so, then the discussion is on it. I haven't been on the committee but have had to be called to consult a couple of times and that was explicitly asked of me.

Op, I am not sure how marginal your other scores were as that does factor in, but if the GPA as a whole without the F is below 2.75, that would factor into it.

While you are not defined by your scores, your professional profile is. With very low scores, you are at a huge disadvantage applying for a residency given that the programs need stats to have the conversation. Same with getting into school.

Until you can take time to do a real honest assessment of your demonstrable ability, going into another health care profession without that self awareness is potentially not going to work out well.

• Love
I'm just sorry this is happening. It seems insane to me they'd expel you for failing a remediation exam. In my class we had students repeat the year after failing a remediation exam. It just does not seem right.

And emotional as this might be I think its good you're weary of this master's "opportunity". Unless there is a clear path to being readmitted being treated like just another applicant does not seem good. And that's where they have you.

This must be devastating but its also just a job and there are other jobs.

Reactions: 5 users
It depends on the school. If the failure is nestled in other low performing scores in M1, dismissal is an option as the faculty deem the student too marginal to recover. The way it's asked at my school is whether we can expect to see this student again in academic jeopardy. If so, then the discussion is on it. I haven't been on the committee but have had to be called to consult a couple of times and that was explicitly asked of me.

Op, I am not sure how marginal your other scores were as that does factor in, but if the GPA as a whole without the F is below 2.75, that would factor into it.

While you are not defined by your scores, your professional profile is. With very low scores, you are at a huge disadvantage applying for a residency given that the programs need stats to have the conversation. Same with getting into school.

Until you can take time to do a real honest assessment of your demonstrable ability, going into another health care profession without that self awareness is potentially not going to work out well.
Op said they had 3 As, 2 Bs, a B+ and a C+. Although I agree with you, this doesn't seem to be the case with OP. I personally don't see those grades as a concern for promotion. 2 Failures in one course imo ought to be given another opportunity for redemption. Also, there could be more going on here than we realize.

How viable is podiatric school as an alternative for this student? Have you considered non-physician doctorates in healthcare like DPM?
I am not very interested in podiatry as an alternative but at the same time I have not crossed it out completely. I am currently considering other alternatives and really trying to assess if this is the right path because this process has brought out so much doubt and distaste in myself and abilities.

I know you are past this point but did you not use Sketchy micro for that block? That plus the lolnotacop associated flash cards should have had you passing easily
So I used Sketchy micro for some of the organisms and I made the HUGE mistake of making my own cards instead of relying on premade decks, very time consuming. I also had a lot of trouble with confusing the different bacteria and their associated symptoms (completely my fault for not finding better study strategies then) and lots of testing anxiety which all amalgamated to the perfect recipe for failure

Thank you vey much for your kind response, I really appreciate it. So in the handbook if you fail, meaning below a 70 overall for a course, you have to remediate and if you fail remediation = that's it. I also brought up the option of repeating a year and that was shut down very early because the school does not do this unless it's some uncontrollable circumstance.

During these upcoming couple of months, I want to enroll in Microbiology classes at my community college and hopefully prove to them even further that I am capable.

Thank you vey much for your kind response, I really appreciate it. So in the handbook if you fail, meaning below a 70 overall for a course, you have to remediate and if you fail remediation = that's it. I also brought up the option of repeating a year and that was shut down very early because the school does not do this unless it's some uncontrollable circumstance.

During these upcoming couple of months, I want to enroll in Microbiology classes at my community college and hopefully prove to them even further that I am capable.
Can't recommend doing this at a CC.

Reactions: 5 users
I misunderstood, I thought this was a masters program to a different school. That is even stranger that they are even suggesting that idea with no guaranteed acceptance. That doesn’t sound like great advice considering that masters program would put you into substantial debt without any assurance of getting back into medical school.

I think that the school didn’t suggest the Masters program, rather OP mentioned it in his dismissal appeal and the school said it wouldn’t be a bad idea but no guarantee on reacceptance. At least I think what happened.

OP. I was wondering if you were taking the advice of some on SDN who say to focus on board and ignore class content. Cram for exams, but make sure you pass.
I cant completely ignore class content because a lot of the professors focus on small details however I have been using FA as well as Pathoma, BnB and Zanki for studying which has really helped. I am still trying very hard to find what works well for me in terms of studying.

I think that the school didn’t suggest the Masters program, rather OP mentioned it in his dismissal appeal and the school said it wouldn’t be a bad idea but no guarantee on reacceptance. At least I think what happened.
I would say it was introduced both by me and the advisor I mentioned previously. I will be meeting with the dean so I hope to have some type of answer soon.

I would say it was introduced both by me and the advisor I mentioned previously. I will be meeting with the dean so I hope to have some type of answer soon.

You didn’t mention your advisor until well into this discussion. The fact remains that you were the one that mentioned it first in the appeals process/letter and you didn’t get a resounding YES we’ll take you back. Frankly, I’m really surprised you were dismissed or encouraged to withdraw. Please let us know how your meeting goes .

OP, I'm sorry. This doesn't seem particularly fair--most schools would just have you repeat after failing remediation.

I honestly wouldn't waste another year of life on this chance and push further into debt without a for sure, which it sounds like you won't get. Take a meeting with the dean and be assertive and candid about what you need to give this a go. They will understand why you must.

I would probably just go to podiatry school or something similar. Being a doctor isn't really any better than this or a similar career. Plus, given a history of failure and then withdrawal, you run a significant risk of failing board exams or ultimately not matching. I believe that match percentage for DO schools is in the 80s and match is only becoming more difficult.

• Inappropriate
Reactions: 1 users
So I used Sketchy micro for some of the organisms and I made the HUGE mistake of making my own cards instead of relying on premade decks, very time consuming. I also had a lot of trouble with confusing the different bacteria and their associated symptoms (completely my fault for not finding better study strategies then) and lots of testing anxiety which all amalgamated to the perfect recipe for failure

Sorry to hear about your circumstances. I dont want to put you down or anything so please take this as softly as possible- I dont believe the test anxiety. You had 2 A's and 2 B's, so you must be a good enough test taker. With that in mind did you reach out to classmates that did well on the first exam that you failed or anything? I feel like SOMEBODY would have told you just use the premade cards

I don’t have a lot to add but just going to echo this. I would talk to the dean but if you don’t get a strong yes about being readmitted after the SMP I wouldn’t do it. But yes, medicine is not life. Even within medicine that factor was huge for me in terms of career choice. I know many people devote their HS/college years to it and it can be a major blow if it doesn’t work out for you. At the same time it can be an opportunity to get outside of your medicine bubble and figure out what else you are good at and interested in. My advice for a plan B would be to do something temporary if possible (a “gap year”, if you will) so you can have the time to figure out what to do next. Maybe it’s a different healthcare career and maybe not.

Sorry to hear about your circumstances. I dont want to put you down or anything so please take this as softly as possible- I dont believe the test anxiety. You had 2 A's and 2 B's, so you must be a good enough test taker. With that in mind did you reach out to classmates that did well on the first exam that you failed or anything? I feel like SOMEBODY would have told you just use the premade cards
No, thank you for being honest, I meant anxiety with the remediation exam because again I did not have good study strategies for this class specifically. I do not consider myself to be a good test taker at all, but I do not want to get into very personal details so I will leave that out.

I definitely knew about the premade cards, some students were using them, but because this professor focused so much on the lecture material I stupidly decided that it would be much better for me to make my own cards if I wanted to pass and it was definitely overwhelming and a waste of time.

I know this was meant gently but please keep in mind that test anxiety, along with other forms of anxiety, do not always present with the same severity in all situations. There is a huge misconception that if one has a mental health related issue it must be present at all times. Test anxiety can be highly situational and manifest due to type of exam, setting of the exam, etc. there are many factors at play as there are with other forms of mental health challenges. I write this because it is important for us as aspiring / in training healthcare professionals to push past out preconceived notions to better understand mental health issues for the well-being of our patients.

Reactions: 7 users
I don’t have a lot to add but just going to echo this. I would talk to the dean but if you don’t get a strong yes about being readmitted after the SMP I wouldn’t do it. But yes, medicine is not life. Even within medicine that factor was huge for me in terms of career choice. I know many people devote their HS/college years to it and it can be a major blow if it doesn’t work out for you. At the same time it can be an opportunity to get outside of your medicine bubble and figure out what else you are good at and interested in. My advice for a plan B would be to do something temporary if possible (a “gap year”, if you will) so you can have the time to figure out what to do next. Maybe it’s a different healthcare career and maybe not.
Thank you very much for your helpful advice. If the SMP does not work out, would you recommend doing shadowing or scribing a podiatrist or PA as well as retaking Micro and other courses in which I feel I could do better so that if I decide to apply to one of these schools it shows that I am making an effort?

Also I don't know if anyone else can chip in or if you have any insight but, I understand that other schools also have MSP linkages for example LECOM, would it be worth it to apply to these or contact these schools?

I know this was meant gently but please keep in mind that test anxiety, along with other forms of anxiety, do not always present with the same severity in all situations. There is a huge misconception that if one has a mental health related issue it must be present at all times. Test anxiety can be highly situational and manifest due to type of exam, setting of the exam, etc. there are many factors at play as there are with other forms of mental health challenges. I write this because it is important for us as aspiring / in training healthcare professionals to push past out preconceived notions to better understand mental health issues for the well-being of our patients.

I may be naive in this thought process, but I would liken this scenario as having anxiety because you did not learn the material well the first time and had to remediate. I wouldn't call that test anxiety honestly (and again I say that because of the other grades the OP earned)