-

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Okay, this is going to be an out of the box suggestion. Since you have to pay for a Masters program, and it is not guaranteed that you get back in, and it is probably a program that is not geared toward a job, what if you did this? You could try to get into a PA program, do well, and then do a PA to DO bridge program. By doing this, you would at least be able to be making money as a PA while pursing a bridge program.

Either way, you would have to fork out money for either program. So, it might as well be a program that would lead you to a career in medicine (as a PA). Then as a working PA-C you can try to enter a bridge program.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Okay, this is going to be an out of the box suggestion. Since you have to pay for a Masters program, and it is not guaranteed that you get back in, and it is probably a program that is not geared toward a job, what if you did this? You could try to get into a PA program, do well, and then do a PA to DO bridge program. By doing this, you would at least be able to be making money as a PA while pursing a bridge program.

Either way, you would have to fork out money for either program. So, it might as well be a program that would lead you to a career in medicine (as a PA) and therefore allows you to enter into a bridge program.

How would the bridge program work with a DO withdrawal?

Either way, you would have to fork out money for either program. So, it might as well be a program that would lead you to a career in medicine (as a PA) and therefore allows you to enter into a bridge program.

Is there such a thing as a PA to DO bridge? I know LECOM has/had one, but is that it?

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't read the whole thread. But I think I know what program this is due to the description. If it's the same program that I did, which was an SMP, I do not recommend doing it. While others were successful through this path, they really put us all through a **** time and left us to dry. The professors itself was great but admin was a nightmare.

We had one girl in our class who was in the same situation as you were. She failed block 1, then started with us in the spring semester in the SMP. I don't know her fate though as we all went back home for covid.

Looking back on it, I wouldn't have done that program again. And in your case since they're not offering you a guarantee acceptance, I would run away.

I'm in a podiatry school now. It's hard AF, but I'm grateful for the opportunity. At my school, they are a little more forgiving about failures, but the content is is exactly like those of DO school. When you guys do OMM, we do biomechanics. That's how I describe it when comparing DPM to DO in terms of curriculum. I can't say how pod school will view this dismissal, but I wish you the best.

Reactions: 8 users
How viable is podiatric school as an alternative for this student? Have you considered non-physician doctorates in healthcare like DPM?
Podiatry is considered as Physicians by the United States Government FYI. Throw the prejudices away and accept that the 3 physician types in the US are MD, DO, and DPM ;)

FYI, I have somewhat of an inkling that this program is LMU -DCOM because being shady is what that school does best, especially the SMP there! All I can say is been there, and never again

Reactions: 4 users
IMO failing micro is problematic because that class is indicative of the type of large scale memorization skills you will need to have later in school, for boards, residency, and for specialty boards as an attending. You will struggle with other tests as well. Medicine is all about memorizing huge amounts of info and spitting it back out on a test.
In my opinion take this as a sign that your strengths probably lay elsewhere. Maybe you’re more of a critical thinker? It’s not a failure! It’s an opportunity to prevent yourself from making a mistake in your career choices. Look for things you know you’re good at or have an easier time with and use those as clues to what you should pursue next.
If I were you, knowing what I know now about this career (I’ve been a Hospitalist for over 10 years), I would get out now and pursue something else. Dont go into more debt just for the hopes you can try again.

• Hmm
Id also add like someone eluded to above, to look into PA, NP school. By the time you graduate they will be "doctors" with independent practice rights throughout the country. You'd have less debt, shorter training, "equal" respect and scope, and a much stronger lobby than doctors.

Hah someone flagged as inappropriate? Realy
Id also add like someone eluded to above, to look into PA, NP school. By the time you graduate they will be "doctors" with independent practice rights throughout the country. You'd have less debt, shorter training, "equal" respect and scope, and a much stronger lobby than doctors.

Hah people reallly dont like this post, as I keep getting notifications. Look guys, do some research, im not making up this ginormous threat to physicians.

Podiatry is considered as Physicians by the United States Government FYI. Throw the prejudices away and accept that the 3 physician types in the US are MD, DO, and DPM ;)

FYI, I have somewhat of an inkling that this program is LMU -DCOM because being shady is what that school does best, especially the SMP there! All I can say is been there, and never again
dcom allows you to repeat the year if you fail a class including the remediation

IMO failing micro is problematic because that class is indicative of the type of large scale memorization skills you will need to have later in school, for boards, residency, and for specialty boards as an attending. You will struggle with other tests as well. Medicine is all about memorizing huge amounts of info and spitting it back out on a test.
In my opinion take this as a sign that your strengths probably lay elsewhere. Maybe you’re more of a critical thinker? It’s not a failure! It’s an opportunity to prevent yourself from making a mistake in your career choices. Look for things you know you’re good at or have an easier time with and use those as clues to what you should pursue next.
If I were you, knowing what I know now about this career (I’ve been a Hospitalist for over 10 years), I would get out now and pursue something else. Dont go into more debt just for the hopes you can try again.

Don't agree. I failed anatomy in med school which was also heavy memorization. Passed remediation. Did much better with conceptually heavy courses rather than memorization heavy ones. Passed the rest of med school and the USMLE.

I can feel the big negative Hospitalist energy from reading that comment

I'm sorry you are going through this, having dreams crushed is one of the harder things in life.

Here is a reality you may not appreciate now, but may when you are older; they just want your money (as long as you can pass the boards). If you don't pass the boards, it makes them look less attractive to prospective future students, and they loose money. Seems like it is in their best interest to rip you off for another year of tuition in the master's program then deny you admission to med school the next time you apply.

Reactions: 3 users
Honestly i'm surprised the school is willing to crack down on the failure of one course so hard. I know failing isn't good especially failing twice but still.

I'm far more supportive of expelling students over bad professionalism issues. Expelling for a failure over a single course just feels... harsh.

I know it's not a dismissal but the withdrawal has a similar effect.
Yeah, as far as I've heard failing remediation means you repeat the year, don't get kicked out. Obviously it's still bad , but it normally means a repeated year not being kicked out. ( At least at my school ) This seems strange to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry you are going through this, having dreams crushed is one of the harder things in life.

Here is a reality you may not appreciate now, but may when you are older; they just want your money (as long as you can pass the boards). If you don't pass the boards, it makes them look less attractive to prospective future students, and they loose money. Seems like it is in their best interest to rip you off for another year of tuition in the master's program then deny you admission to med school the next time you apply.
On the flip side, they may be cutting OP loose now so they don't have an extra year if debt after muddling through and then failing Boards.

There are plenty of schools that would have been only too happy to make OP retake the year, and do a rinse and repeat of fail - > remediate fail -> remediate until they washed out after failing Boards.

The SMP suggestion was super sketchy, you're right on that.

Reactions: 1 user
Hah someone flagged as inappropriate? Realy

Hah people reallly dont like this post, as I keep getting notifications. Look guys, do some research, im not making up this ginormous threat to physicians.

Hard truth. Honestly medical students are pretty dumb when it comes to this stuff, not to mention, even more liberal than ever and wouldn't dare hurt anyone's feelings.

@OP, I think it's an absolutely terrible decision to try the SMP for a shot at getting back into that school. Cut your losses and get out of medicine. It's an absolute dumpster fire. Most of the DO masters programs are stupidly expensive and useless if you don't get into the school, which it sounds like they're just sucking you dry for some more loans.

• Love
sylvanthus said:
"Id also add like someone eluded to above, to look into PA, NP school. By the time you graduate they will be "doctors" with independent practice rights throughout the country. You'd have less debt, shorter training, "equal" respect and scope, and a much stronger lobby than doctors."

I was comparing PA school with doing another SMP. I said that if he/she goes to PA school, there is a good chance that this individual can do a PA to DO bridge program. Whereas, doing the SMP program will not lead to a job or med school. The OP would just lose money doing the SMP program. As a PA-C, the OP can work while applying for the bridge program.

I know this was meant gently but please keep in mind that test anxiety, along with other forms of anxiety, do not always present with the same severity in all situations. There is a huge misconception that if one has a mental health related issue it must be present at all times. Test anxiety can be highly situational and manifest due to type of exam, setting of the exam, etc. there are many factors at play as there are with other forms of mental health challenges. I write this because it is important for us as aspiring / in training healthcare professionals to push past out preconceived notions to better understand mental health issues for the well-being of our patients.
You could Apply to a Caribbean Medical school- St Georges or St Matthews and then if you fail USMLE Step 1 at least you won’t get kicked out completely from medical school

• Haha
  • Inappropriate
  • Dislike
You could Apply to a Caribbean Medical school- St Georges or St Matthews and then if you fail USMLE Step 1 at least you won’t get kicked out completely from medical school
I’m sorry - what is the point you are making here?

Ahh, you must be mistaking the fact that I wrote about test anxiety that I must have test anxiety. Fortunately I do not have test taking anxiety but have friends who do.As a healthcare professional or one in training I feel you should know two things: first, Someone can recognize that something exists as a documented illness/disability for which they can receive reasonable accommodation without having the illness/disability and second, have a documented illness/ disability is not a reason for scorn nor skepticism nor sarcasm. There's a reason why folks don't disclose mental illness or discuss it more often and your response above is a prime example as to why that is the case.

Thanks for trying though :)

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your circumstances. I dont want to put you down or anything so please take this as softly as possible- I dont believe the test anxiety. You had 2 A's and 2 B's, so you must be a good enough test taker. With that in mind did you reach out to classmates that did well on the first exam that you failed or anything? I feel like SOMEBODY would have told you just use the premade cards
We have 3 students in my class with anxiety, on meds, with accommodations and their grades vary from test to test. They did get A too sometimes. I'm just saying it's not as black and white, test anxiety is not a on/off button. It's present almost always, but severity of it differs.

Reactions: 1 users
I was in nearly the exact same position about 5 years ago. In my experience, the ONLY way to get back into med school on US soil is at the same school you were dismissed from. BonesDO (I think?) is a crazy exception likely to never be replicated. Nobody else will take you, including the main Caribbean schools (if you report your dismissal, that is). If they suggested to do a masters program, and practicing medicine is all you want from life, bloody well do the masters program. Do nothing but study. Sit in the front row, ask questions, and make sure every faculty member knows your name. You are now the most engaged student. You can’t blend into the background because then nobody (faculty) will want to stick their neck for you (talk to the Dean on your behalf). It took me 3 years to get back into the same school from which I was dismissed. If the thought of doing anything besides practicing medicine (as a physician) makes you weep, then never give up. You will find zero comfort on these message boards btw, because most everyone will do the perfectly logical thing and tell you how unlikely or impossible it is to get back into med school. However, if you’re willing to eat doodoo for a bit and OWN YOUR MISTAKES WITHOUT EXCUSES (most important bit), you can turn it around. I’m living proof. One love ✌🏼

Hello everyone! Just wanted to give a little update on my situation since I last posted. I took a step back to carefully consider my circumstances and self-reflect and be honest with myself on this path and for my future. Also been receiving some counseling services which has really helped.

I spoke with faculty and staff at my previous institution early on regarding their master’s program and the answers they provided were unclear and abstract. Therefore, I decided to contact basically every director of a master’s program (literally all of them) and explained to them my situation and asked them if they had any advice or if they knew a student that had gone through a similar situation. I received a lot of great advice and learned about a couple students that were able to gain their position back in a medical school after completing some type of masters. So, I decided to try my chances and applied and I have received acceptances into the following programs with some type of linkage:
  • Master of Science in Biomedicine program at Arkansas Colleges of Health Education (ACHE)
  • Master of Arts in Biomedical Sciences (M.A.B.S.) program at Midwestern University - AZCOM
  • Master of Science at Touro University - Nevada
  • Master of Science in Biomedical Sciences (MSBS) program at Rocky Vista University (RVU)
  • Biomedical Sciences (MAB) program at WVSOM
  • Master of Science in Biomedical Sciences at PCOM
  • + a few more that I am waiting on
Please let me know if you have any comments regarding my current decision and potential chances or if you think I am doing is stupid/waste of time (after this experience nothing really hurts anymore 🙃 so you can be brutally honest). Thank you to everyone who took the time to consider my situation and gave me amazing feedback, I really appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Care
Hello everyone! Just wanted to give a little update on my situation since I last posted. I took a step back to carefully consider my circumstances and self-reflect and be honest with myself on this path and for my future. Also been receiving some counseling services which has really helped.

I spoke with faculty and staff at my previous institution early on regarding their master’s program and the answers they provided were unclear and abstract. Therefore, I decided to contact basically every director of a master’s program (literally all of them) and explained to them my situation and asked them if they had any advice or if they knew a student that had gone through a similar situation. I received a lot of great advice and learned about a couple students that were able to gain their position back in a medical school after completing some type of masters. So, I decided to try my chances and applied and I have received acceptances into the following programs with some type of linkage:
  • Master of Science in Biomedicine program at Arkansas Colleges of Health Education (ACHE)
  • Master of Arts in Biomedical Sciences (M.A.B.S.) program at Midwestern University - AZCOM
  • Master of Science in Biomedical Sciences (MSBS) program at Rocky Vista University (RVU)
Please let me know if you have any comments regarding my current decision and potential chances or if you think I am doing is stupid/waste of time (after this experience nothing really hurts anymore 🙃 so you can be brutally honest). Thank you to everyone who took the time to consider my situation and gave me amazing feedback, I really appreciate it.
I wouldnt do anything without a direct linkage

Spending a year and tens of thousands on a masters to TRY for a second round of med school isnt a great risk/reward. And you'd definitely have to go back with primary care and any location as outcomes you're totally OK with for training. And really, really be certain you couldn't be happy as any other role in healthcare, because there are well paid stable patient-facing jobs much easier than the path you're considering

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
I would avoid RVU as it is a for profit entity

Your previous institution was vague because they wanted to get you to agree to a withdrawal and would tell you anything short of blatantly lying. Also, given that you struggled at a lower tier DO school the reality is that a place more competitive than that is not going to take a chance on you so your options are likely very limited. A lot of these programs will talk about examples of previous successes but they really want your money. I know you're excited about these acceptances and if you really feel medicine is your calling, go ahead and keep going but like @efle says, you need to pick a place with direct linkage. Good luck!

Last edited:

Uh. I think you're in a bad spot because really your chance is to get your school to take you back in. I don't know how doing other masters programs will help without a guaranteed entry to med school. And i don't know what school if there are even any will take you back in with a prior withdrawal/dismissal.

Honestly, i'm just going to tag @Goro @Angus Avagadro at this point since i really don't know what to say.

Reactions: 1 users
There's at least one school in your list that will be relatively easy to get into after their masters. So not to rain on other posts that said opposite, but it's very doable. That been said, as @efle said there are some other much easier pathways to get very hands on with patients and to get descent money. For example CRNA - basically a nurse anesthesiologists - it takes 3 years after RN and you are actually working in OR and getting a 180k salary - which is almost what some Peds/IM make. Just one example. And you don't have to study 24/7 or be a resident monkey for 3 years. beauty of this job is that you can go to RN right from high school and in 7 years (4 years RN + 3 years CRNA) you'll be making good salary with 1/10th of debt compared to 11 years (4 years pre-med + 4 years med + 3 years residency) of DO/MD and 300-600k debt.

Pick the program that is:
cheapest
Shortest
has the best linkage to the parent med school

I agree that you should rule out RVU.

Personally, I think that you've had your chance and it's not worth throwing any more time and money down this rabbit hole, and it's time to move on to Plan B.

Reactions: 7 users
There's at least one school in your list that will be relatively easy to get into after their masters. So not to rain on other posts that said opposite, but it's very doable.
If there is a school that you think that the bolded applies to OP given his past failures/withdrawal from a DO school, I'd be interested to know because that place is virtually a path for anyone to medical school.

Last edited:
Look, I don't know your financial situation OP. I would not be interested in taking out more student loans to do this.Personally, I think any Masters program that accepts you is being predatory. That said, with a Masters WITH linkage, there is a chance. You will have to hit that Gonzaga 3 pointer at the buzzer to pull this off. If that is the price of piece of mind later in life so be it. I personally don't think the ROI is worth it, but you have been given good advice, it's now time to choose what the best path is for you. Always have a plan B. Good luck and best wishes!

• Love
  • Haha
Look, I don't know your financial situation OP. I would not be interested in taking out more student loans to do this.Personally, I think any Masters program that accepts you is being predatory. That said, with a Masters WITH linkage, there is a chance. You will have to hit that Gonzaga 3 pointer at the buzzer to pull this off. If that is the price of piece of mind later in life so be it. I personally don't think the ROI is worth it, but you have been given good advice, it's now time to choose what the best path is for you. Always have a plan B. Good luck and best wishes!
*laughs in baylor*

Suggs killed it on that 3... too bad it wasn't there for the final

For people in your situation, SMPs are generally a scam. Medical school administrators can be crooked and scummy, and many will gladly feed on applicants’ desperation and false hope in order to add to their institutions’ revenue streams. Underperforming SMP students at my school are allowed to complete their master’s—and hence pay the full price, and then are immediately left out to dry after graduation. It’s just not worth it. To put it into perspective, I’ve mostly been a B student in med school (currently a second year). The SMP students who’ve taken the same classes as me and gotten the same grades as me are probably going to wind up being hired as phlebotomists, lab assistants, scribes, etc.; they simply won’t get into med school with a 3.2 SMP GPA, even though they performed on par with plenty of current med students.

The potential for re-admission into medical school isn’t worth the massive risk that you’re looking to take. Save yourself a lot of money and hardship. Nursing -> NP. Thank me later.

Reactions: 6 users
There's at least one school in your list that will be relatively easy to get into after their masters. So not to rain on other posts that said opposite, but it's very doable. That been said, as @efle said there are some other much easier pathways to get very hands on with patients and to get descent money. For example CRNA - basically a nurse anesthesiologists - it takes 3 years after RN and you are actually working in OR and getting a 180k salary - which is almost what some Peds/IM make. Just one example. And you don't have to study 24/7 or be a resident monkey for 3 years. beauty of this job is that you can go to RN right from high school and in 7 years (4 years RN + 3 years CRNA) you'll be making good salary with 1/10th of debt compared to 11 years (4 years pre-med + 4 years med + 3 years residency) of DO/MD and 300-600k debt.
Which school do you think is easy from the list ?

Sorry, didn't see this a month ago. Nurse Anesthesiologist is a bit of an overreach. A very good job, no doubt, but crna's aren't anesthesiologists. They are midlevels fighting for independence like the rest. They don't do CCM, acute or chronic pain management,handle difficult airways, interpret TEE, insert PA catheters, or regional anesthesia in our area. Crna's now get a PhD with their degree, so now can say" I'm Dr X from anesthesia, I'll be taking care of you today." It is misleading as patients will think an actual physician will be taking care of them.

Reactions: 5 users
It sounds like they want to scam you with the masters. If I were you, I'd either go into podiatry or go to the Caribbean. I know this forum ****s a lot on the Caribbean, but you essentially have a year under your belt and should be able to survive. You can work like a dog and find yourself a seat in an FM program. I would strongly advise against PA as mid-levels are cheap knockoffs with poor knowledge base

It is technically possible if you go to a program that guarantees acceptance with a gpa above “x”. But this is a lot of work from here on out. It’s basically 6 years of graduate level debt and the match into anything will be a disaster with all of these red flags. Some primary care and psych programs like these crazy underdog scenarios so maybe it’s possible. I personally don’t think it’s worth it.

Agreed but several state boards of nursing has said they could use that title. I believe Fla is one of them.

A state board of nursing is of course going to say they can use that title.