Finally made a decision on residency, should I withdraw my applications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sleepy4thyr

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to two different residency specialties because I just couldn't let go of a field I had imagined myself in for a long time. I am finally comfortable moving forward with just one of them (yes, I know I'm a few weeks late). I've had several interview offers from both sets of programs, one more than the other.

My home program has both the specialties and both PDs had encouraged me to apply and I have an interview for both in a few weeks - I'd like to cancel the interview I'm least interested in, but I feel guilty about doing it after I know that so many people took the effort to write LoRs and provided me with lots of advice. Also, there were a couple of schools that I applied to both programs and I worry they'll find out (or have already) found out that I applied to both. If I withdraw my application to one of them would that raise any flags? I do worry that one or two programs may have figured it out, as I haven't heard anything form them. I'm also really worried my home institution knows, which I hate because I adore them.

Part of the reason I did this was due to geographical preference and FWIW, the specialty I'm sticking with is considered less exclusive - but I do think it's the right specialty for me and it is still relatively competitive. Also, the specialties were pretty different from each other - think rad one vs peds (although neither were as exclusive as rad onc).

Ugh. I'm so frustrated with myself for this. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to two different residency specialties because I just couldn't let go of a field I had imagined myself in for a long time. I am finally comfortable moving forward with just one of them (yes, I know I'm a few weeks late). I've had several interview offers from both sets of programs, one more than the other.

My home program has both the specialties and both PDs had encouraged me to apply and I have an interview for both in a few weeks - I'd like to cancel the interview I'm least interested in, but I feel guilty about doing it after I know that so many people took the effort to write LoRs and provided me with lots of advice. Also, there were a couple of schools that I applied to both programs and I worry they'll find out (or have already) found out that I applied to both. If I withdraw my application to one of them would that raise any flags? I do worry that one or two programs may have figured it out, as I haven't heard anything form them. I'm also really worried my home institution knows, which I hate because I adore them.

Part of the reason I did this was due to geographical preference and FWIW, the specialty I'm sticking with is considered less exclusive - but I do think it's the right specialty for me and it is still relatively competitive. Also, the specialties were pretty different from each other - think rad one vs peds (although neither were as exclusive as rad onc).

Ugh. I'm so frustrated with myself for this. Any advice?

Go on the interview with your home program in both fields. If you are absolutely sure you have no interest in the second specialty, cancel the other interviews. Your home program doesn't have to know that.

Reactions: 4 users
Agree with above. If you're positive about your choice then go ahead and cancel your interviews at other programs, but it's pretty free to go to your home program so why not?

Reactions: 1 user
Also, there were a couple of schools that I applied to both programs and I worry they'll find out (or have already) found out that I applied to both. If I withdraw my application to one of them would that raise any flags? I do worry that one or two programs may have figured it out, as I haven't heard anything form them.
This is just paranoia on your end. PDs aren't sitting around with each other comparing the thousand names of applicants they each have. They'd appreciate if you withdraw if you're not interested as they won't have to waste time on your application or have you take someone else's interview spot.

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks so much everyone! So, if I haven't heard back, it's okay to withdraw. If I have an interview scheduled in the next few weeks, I should go. I guess I was debating on my home institution's interview because I worry that I'll see classmates, etc in both and that they'll talk. I'm not interested in going to my home institution's program for the one I want to withdraw from, FWIW.

I really appreciate your thoughts, and you've definitely made me feel better. I agree, I'm probably a little paranoid about this whole thing.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly if you don’t want to go into X specialty, I wouldn’t go to interview at any X specialties even in your home program. That seems like a waste of your time and theirs. They can use that spot for someone who might actually want it.

Since you’re worried about how it looks to your LOR writers, I would simply write nice professional emails to those people and the home PD, explaining that after much reflection you have decided to pursue specialty X. Thank them sincerely for the time they took to teach you, mentor you, and support your career and that you are updating them out of professional courtesy and respect.

You’re overthinking it otherwise.

Reactions: 5 users
I don't think that you should go to any interviews for a specialty you don't want to do, even at your home program. Sure, it won't cost you anything, but it wastes the time and energy of that specialty's staff, attendings and residents, and prevents someone who actually wants to do that specialty from getting that interview.

You don't owe anyone anything at this point. If you are certain of your decision, embrace it and move on.

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks so much everyone! So, if I haven't heard back, it's okay to withdraw. If I have an interview scheduled in the next few weeks, I should go. I guess I was debating on my home institution's interview because I worry that I'll see classmates, etc in both and that they'll talk. I'm not interested in going to my home institution's program for the one I want to withdraw from, FWIW.

I really appreciate your thoughts, and you've definitely made me feel better. I agree, I'm probably a little paranoid about this whole thing.
Then go ahead and withdraw from that one too if you’re for sure not going to do it. Send your letter writers in the field you’re NOT choosing a nice email explaining that you’ve had a change of heart. Everyone wants you to make the best choice for YOU; would doubt that anyone would be upset. People change their mind all the time- way better to do it now!

Reactions: 3 users