Finally out of the Marine Corps!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

John_Galt

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, i just sent my application to UofMichigan, to get back into school after a 4 year hiatus. I have 3 years left, so i will be returning a sophomore at age 22. I was lucky in that i got to volunteer for roughly 2 years at two hospitals out here, and my command approved. God i feel so free, 2 months to go, and i am officially done. This time in the Marines has really given me a chance to focus and get myself ready for the long road i have ahead of me in becoming a doctor.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm suprised they let you out with us being at war and all. You'd think they'd do everything in their power to make you stay and help fight. But, I'm glad to hear that you're out and are not presently getting ready to go overseas.

They have considered a "stop-loss" policy, but found that right now, there is no need to keep us. We have had a large influx of new Marines, so they are able to keep up to operational readiness without much of a problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
Atlas, I'd say the 'war' going on wouldnt really require all the army, afaik only the 'best of the best' are fighting...
congrats on getting out of the army John!! :)

Completely unrelated, but I just got my discharge in the mail from the Army. I am just a civilian now. :)

I can imagine that a bunch of new recruits are just finishing up basic training and are going to be sent on their first assignments. It must be scary for them. Although, most of them will not go anywhere near the middle east, it is inevitable that they will be used where needed. And, with the escalating conflict between India and Pakistan, who knows how many troops we'll need down the road! It's a scary situation. I understand that our entire military force is not fighting in this war, purifyer, but I would imagine that the marines would all be on the highest alert because they're on the front lines. I'm surprised there is nothing in place to prevent a mass exodus of troops (like it would ever happen). You know...in the event of a nuclear world war, thousands of troops may apply to get out prematurely, leaving a gaping hole in our military. That thought worries me. I don't know exactly how it all works, but just the thought of military personnel leaving early worries me. I know I shouldn't think like that, but it's hard not to during these times.

Have no fears about our forces becoming undermanded....they have made it clear, that they have the right to keep everyone on active duty as long as they see fit. Believe me, they have serioulsly thought about the problem, and know just how many can leave.

Hi John,

I understand that you're freshly released, but I was wondering if you were thinking about going to Officer training and let the government pay for your medical school... I was thinking about it - but the 10+ years they own you after you finish residency wasn't too appealing to me.

Congrats and best of luck in your career!

-Michelle-

I thought about it only for a couple of seconds. I feel as though the military really isnt the place for me to continue my life. I really, at least in the enlisted ranks, have had no oppertunity to continue my education. And after all, it boils down to the fact that you are never free to live your life the way you want while in the military. Although going that route may be the right choice for some, i know in my case it isnt.