Finally received MCAT scores, California school chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Naijaba

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everybody! How is your night going?

I finally received my MCAT scores and it's time to ask a burning question:
Will I get into a University of California (UC) MD/PhD program?

Let me first say that I would gladly take an MD-only acceptance at a UC provided that they allow me to apply for the MSTP as a medical student. Therefore, please comment on my MD-only chances as well. School-specific chances would be appreciated (UCI vs. UCD vs. UCSF vs. UCLA vs. UCSD).

Here's my information:

Academics:
-MCAT: 14PS, 11VR, 12BS - 37Q
-GPA 3.68 science and 3.68 cumulative
-Triple Major in four years: Computer Science & Engineering, Mathematics and Biology
-I was an undergraduate at a UC.
-Master's in Urban Education currently underway, present GPA: 4.0

Research:
-Two publications (3rd Author: Impact Factor 3.78, 1st Author: Undergraduate research journal publication)
-Three presentations, all local venues.
-Four minor research grants.
-Undergraduate researcher of the month.
-Mathematics department award for undergraduate research.

Outreach:
-200+ hours of hospital volunteering (direct patient-care) and leadership role
-No shadowing experience
-Teach for America 2008 Corps Member
-Several service trips to Mexico

I think those are all the big things in my file. I marked the two things that I am most concerned about in red. I've never thought too much about shadowing until I read that everyone does it. How essential is it to being accepted to joint-degree programs?

Thanks for all your input!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
i dont keep abreast with cali standards, let alone md-phd, so my opinions mean very little. im sorry i cant be of much help lol.

however, your profile looks pretty great. i think it's impressive. i cant see why you wouldnt get in somewhere. i think clinical may be your weakest part with (presumably) only one type of experience.. but i may be wrong because i have no idea how meaningful your clinical is and how hands-on it was.

i have a Q: does your sn have any special meaning? it sounds familiar.

Are you just starting to apply now? If you apply immediately, your chances will be much better. I think you have a decent chance, but your numbers are at the point where there's still a fair amount of variability in your chances at an MSTP slot. I think you have a great chance at MD only though, so definitely apply.

As far as impact factor, what's the norm for your field? That doesn't compare well across different academic fields. The publications definitely help in any case.

Since you're looking for more of a medical research type experience, I wouldn't worry at all about your ECs. I think you're actually pretty solid there.

For some anecdotal evidence, I applied MSTP with very similar stats three years ago (37O, 3.7 GPA biochem, biotech, math) and only got one interview at my then state school (U of MN), which I was eventually accepted to as MD only. I had applied extremely late in the cycle which definitely hurt me, and didn't have the publications at that point either. In the meantime, I decided to do a PhD at one of the UCs, and am applying for the med portion now.

I'm pretty good at estimating :rolleyes:, so I'd say your chances at an MSTP program at a UC are ~35%, and your chances at an MD program at a UC are ~85%. I think you actually have a better chance at an MD at UCSF than the others since they are extremely research focused and match your background quite well, but it's hard to say.

What UC were you at? PM me if you're interested in talking some more, i'm guessing we have very similar school lists, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have a great MCAT score and a very nice application overall. Well done! You have an excellent chance of getting in somewhere, provided you apply broadly (with a range of selectivity and geography) and not just in your home state.

I will be applying broadly to MD/PhD programs, but I can't afford an MD-only program out of state. That's why I made this post state-specific. Thanks for the replies!

I will be applying broadly to MD/PhD programs, but I can't afford an MD-only program out of state. That's why I made this post state-specific. Thanks for the replies!

Apply now and you have a great shot. Delay much longer and you will be in trouble. There are many candidates with a higher GPA and a ~37 MCAT applying to the Cali MD/PhDs.

Impact factor is very creditable, regardless of field. Most undergraduates, if they even publish, do so in 0-2 IF.

Apply now and you have a great shot. Delay much longer and you will be in trouble. There are many candidates with a higher GPA and a ~37 MCAT applying to the Cali MD/PhDs.

Impact factor is very creditable, regardless of field. Most undergraduates, if they even publish, do so in 0-2 IF.

Thanks for the assessment! I submitted my AMCAS three weeks ago, so I'm hoping for just one more week until I'm verified.

Obviously a really great profile. My only note would be that lack of shadowing may exclude you in some instances, at least in MD-only. In the case of University of Washington, they REQUIRE 40 hours of shadowing, but I couldn't say whether that is the case for UC schools. If you're specifically interested in them, I would guess that you've checked and found nothing like that.

Obviously a really great profile. My only note would be that lack of shadowing may exclude you in some instances, at least in MD-only. In the case of University of Washington, they REQUIRE 40 hours of shadowing, but I couldn't say whether that is the case for UC schools. If you're specifically interested in them, I would guess that you've checked and found nothing like that.

Wow, I didn't realize some schools actually had shadowing as a requirement. The UC school's don't require shadowing (whew!). Thanks for the info!