Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Finally

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by kutastha, Dec 13, 2001.

1. kutastha

kutastha 2K Member
    Physician

Attending Physician
    Twenty years ago I was diagnosed with diabetes and since then I have been dreaming about being a physician. I applied in 1995 and 1996 without ever receiving an interview. I pretty much gave up hope and never thought I would ever achieve that dream. I went into a PhD program in hopes that I could find my passion in research. Having almost completed my degree, I realized that academic medicine was the life I was meant to live. Getting into medical school was the only hurdle I had to surpass. For six years I dreamt the day would come where just one school would tell me I was one of the students they wanted to matriculate. Today was that day that I dreamed so hard and so long for. My path has brought me to this point and I am so fortunate to finally achieve only what I have dreamt possible. Today I was asked to become a medical student at the University of Vermont and for this I am grateful.

I want all those without interviews and acceptances to know that someone out here feels for you. I have tired of reading posts about countless acceptances and such, and I have felt the pain of 57 rejections in my life - the tears in my eyes feel your pain. I know my story may not comfort you, but know that someone feels your pain and has been through it countless times. Never give up your dream for one day it will come true.

Andrew

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SMW

SMW Grand Member

I am so happy for you, Andrew! :D

4. congrats man...we were all rooting for u :D

5. MorningLight2100

MorningLight2100 Senior Member

Andrew, I am so incredibly pleased for you! Your determination is truly an inspiration to us all. I deeply admire you.

Congratulations. . . the medical field should be very honored to have you.

6. ERMED

ERMED Junior Member

Congratulations Dr.
    People like you is the people we need in the medical field, people like you, I, and am sure all of us, who know that getting into med school is not an easy task, people lik you who work for what they want and achieve it, Congrats man! For al of you, dont give up, your day hasnt come yet, but its coming, just have faith and be positive. My mom once told me about my dream of becoming a dr. She said, "Si tu quieres lo haras, querer es poder"

Eduardo

7. Zack90

Zack90 Senior Member

Congrats! As someone who applied last year and had a mailbox full of rejections, I understand. I am very happy for you! Good job!

8. vixen

vixen I like members

YAAAY ANDREW!!!

I'm so happy for you...I knew your persistence would pay off...gosh it must feel so good after all this time...wow, well deserved...congratulations, you TOTALLY deserve it...go celebrate!!!

GOOD LUCK :)

9. md2be06

md2be06 Senior Member

Andrew, YOU ROCK! Truly an inspiration bro. I don't know how many of us would show that kinda perserverance. Something tells me this is just the first of many acceptances!

10. Ciardeme

Ciardeme Senior Member

Andrew- congratulations. I am sure of two things: (1) your hard work and perseverance will translate into excellent patient care and (2) you will love Vermont. I have not yet recieved an interview (or a rejection letter) but i hope to matriculate into your class! Now you can REALLY enjoy the holidays. Congrats again! :D

11. serpiente

serpiente Senior Member

Medical Student
    Andrew, I'm sure this is the first of MANY acceptances for you, this year.

12. sandflea

sandflea Senior Member

congrats!! you've worked very hard to get to this point, andrew...i've followed your posts, and your determination is truly inspiring. best of luck to you!

13. kobe8

kobe8 Member

Man, I am truly happy for you! Like so many others who have followed your post I find this news very exciting. HE will only give you what HE knows you can handle. Congrats! ;) ;) ;)

14. Medical123

Medical123 Senior Member

Congratulations! I am really happy for you!

15. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Resident [Any Field]
    Paging Dr. Andrew
    WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :D :D :D :D :D :D

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. ssd

ssd Senior Member

congrats andrew,

i am hot on your tail with about 30 rejections between this year and last. i dream of the day that i can post a similar message to yours...

now go and withdraw your application from all the schools that i am applying to...

18. EpiII

EpiII Senior Member

That is terrific Andrew. I totally agree with the previous posts. You most definitely will make a terrific MD. Congratulations and keep up the perseverance and good work.

19. Coalboy

Coalboy Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Congrats!
    Burlington is a great city (I lived in Middlebury, 35 miles south).

Be sure to go to Pizza Putt, a combination pizza parlor/indoor miniature golf course. I don't remember where it is, and it's not the fanciest of places, but I used to go there a lot in college. :)

20. lady in red

lady in red Senior Member

i knew you would make it!!!!!!!! and this is only your first acceptance; there will be more to come!!

21. praying4MD

praying4MD 2K Member

Resident [Any Field]
    CONGRATULATIONS Andrew!!! I've been rooting for you for ages now and hoping for your success. If there's one person here that deserves this, it's you. You give all of us waiting people hope. I'm ecstatic for you!! Although, to tell you the truth, I'm not in the least bit surprised; I always knew you would get in. Now go out and have some fun. :)

22. elle

elle Senior Member

Congratulations, Andrew! That is absolutely wonderful. :) :)

23. Trek

Trek Grand Uranium Member

Way to go, my man. Great news! Take care --Trek

24. Ranger Bob

Ranger Bob Senior Member

Congratulations, Andrew! Your persistence has been rewarded. I'm sure you'll make an excellent doc.

Did you finish the PhD? If so, you can tell your residents and attendings to refer to you as Dr. Andrew, not Mr. Andrew. Anyway, congratulations!

25. The Fly

The Fly Senior Member

Andrew- your story would seem to define determiniation and persistence. Congratulations and go out and celebrate!

:D ;) :D

26. KG

KG Member

I plan to mention you to a friend of mine who has six sons, four of which are diabetic. She should be inspired to know that medicine is as viable as other career options for them! Congratulations!

27. Original

Original Ogori-Magongo Warrior

28. watto

watto Sleek White Pantsuit

Hurrah!
    I knew you would get in at Vermont. They really love the older, more mature students, especially those with your kind of educational pedigree.

Now go out and treat yourself to a parka and a pair of moon boots. You can always return to SoCal for your residency!

29. CoffeeCat

CoffeeCat SDN Angel

Pre-Medical
    Woohoo! Congrats. ;)

30. sundevil1

sundevil1 Senior Member

yeah, congrats. you are one of the people who truly deserve it.

31. Ronaldinho

Ronaldinho Member

great job...way to stick the landing!

32. Daredevil

Daredevil Senior Member

Attending Physician
    Congratulations, You deserve to be a doc more than a lot of us. Kudos to Vermont for making the right decision and selecting a great applicant. :) :D

33. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo IEatShavedPussyCats

Congrats man!
    I was rooting for you! :)

34. Tweetie_bird

Andrew,
    I firmly believe that God gives you what he thinks you need, at the time you need it. And he will only give you what He knows you can handle. I have followed your posts, and always had you in my thoughts as "Kuthastha" hoping you get a break. I always thought you deserved one. I am SO HAPPY to know that you now have it. I wish I could just give you a big hug!!! The baton has been handed to you, take it and run with it.
    With the passion, determination and perseverance you have, I wouldn't be surprized if you inspire not just your patients, but also your peers around you after medical school.

Congratulations on achieving a career you were MADE for.

Tweetie
    PS: if you would have marticulated in 95 and 96, you would have had just an M.D. behind your name. Now that you have finished your PhD, you will be a part of the very few--MD/PhD. Be proud!!!

35. DesperatelySeekingMD

DesperatelySeekingMD Senior Member

Congrats Andrew! All of your hard work and determination paid off....I know that you will be a much better physician as a result everything you have been through. Three cheers!

36. paisley1

paisley1 Senior Member

Congratulations Andrew! I just wanted to let you know how much I admire your maturity, dedication and sense of humor. You deserve the many good things that have and will continue to come your way...

37. quaileggs

quaileggs Senior Member

Andrew...awesome. I'm sure this is a day you will remember forever. I am waiting to hear from VT. When was your VT interview? (mine was 11/8)
    You will make a great doctor!

38. alice

alice Senior Member

WOO HOO!!!!
    I hope this feels as sweet as you imagined. Have a wonderful, joyous holiday. You have another beautiful blessing to count!

39. mdhopeful

mdhopeful Senior Member

Andrew - Congratulations. I had faith that you would get in. After reading your posts over the last few months, it is clear that you are the kind of person that should be in this profession. I hope this acceptance is the first of many. Thank you for providing reassurance that in this world, dreams can come true if you are persistent, honest, and dedicated.

For those who are still awaiting interviews, acceptances, and secondaries, know that we are rooting for you!

40. KDocGirl

KDocGirl Senior Member

Congrats Andrew! It must feel like you're on top of the world, finally accomplishing all your dreams. Good luck in WHICHEVER school you go to.

41. ttac

ttac Trust me, it's still fun.

Resident [Any Field]
    Congratulations! I am so happy for you!

Ever since I started the application process, I had a quote that I laminated and kept in the front of my med school application binder, and every time that I opened it, I would read the quote. You might have already seen it, but for those of you that haven't, here it is:

Once again, congratulations! You will be an awesome doctor!
    It Is Not The Critic Who Counts

"It is not the critic who counts, not the one who points out how the strong man stumbled or how the doer of deeds might have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred with sweat and dust and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who, if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement; and who, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."

-Theodore Roosevelt

42. isa

isa Senior Member

Is it any wonder why this thread is already 3 pages long? Everyone is happy for you! We are all impressed with your dedication to be a doctor. The most sincerest congratulations to you, Andrew!

43. altaskier

altaskier Altaholics Anonymous 92'

congrats andrew. I too got into Vermont. I may just see you there classmate.

Congrats again,
    Altaskier

44. Mystique

Mystique The Procrastinator

Resident [Any Field]
    Andrew,

Way to go! That is awesome! And, it's just in time for Christmas!! Congrats!

45. lilic

lilic Junior Member

Congrats Andrew!

46. CONGRATS!!!! You totally deserve it. I applied twice and this past summer was sitting on 6 waitlists and feeling hopelessly depressed and discouraged. I had taken 2 years off, retaken the MCAT, had a job, took grad courses, etc. and still nothing. Then one day in mid-July, when I was sitting at work waiting to talk to my boss about a rather unpleasant matter, one of my office mates came down the hall to tell me that SLU had called. I probably knocked over at least 50 empty mouse cages trying to get to the phone to call them back. I prayed that they were calling me to accept me, and it turned out that they were! :) I got an acceptance from Tufts the next day and feel incredibly blessed (I know I'm a cheeseball ;) ) to be here and have the opportunity to become a doctor. So there is hope for all of you waiting and trying again and again! Well, congrats again; I'm sure you will love Vermont, it is beautiful up there! I hope to go skiing there a few times this semester myself. If you get into Tufts, we'd love to have you here too! best wishes..

47. buglady

buglady We need more cowbell

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm jumping on the band wagon and throwing in my "CONGRATULATIONS!"...I'm more of a lurker than a poster, but I'ver read most of your posts and have felt there is some hope for me because of your story.

I'm sure you'll make a fantastic doc...remember, "Those who do most, dream most."

48. kutastha

kutastha 2K Member
    Physician

Attending Physician
    Hey everyone, thanks so much for the kind words - it's absolutely fascinating to read them. I was unsure of even saying anything because I know too well the feeling when everyone around you gets acceptances and you're playing the waiting game. But I bit the bullet because I know of a handful of people who have been very supportive, and I want them to know I appreciate it.

Thank you again and good luck to everyone. Never give up.

Andrew

PS: Ranger Bob - I'll finish my PhD in May

49. Legend

Legend Super Senior Member

Attending Physician
    Congrats !!

You deserve it !! :)

50. Optimistic

Optimistic Senior Member

Congratulations Andrew, people like you are quite inspiring and encouraging for peoplelike me. I took august MCAT and didnt score well,I didnt apply to any school so far ,because I know I will receive rejections with in a week. I actually feel like may be I can not do it Then I see these posts from people like you who are so dedicated and persistent, ... Go andrew :) :)

51. aisha

aisha Senior Member

congrats andrew :) .. i am sure u'll be the best doc there could be.

good luck :)

52. UCLApremed

UCLApremed Member

Hi Andrew,

I just want to let you know that after I read your 1st posted message of acceptance, tears came down. I am very joyful for you and also b/c your feelings represent how I am feeling right now and where I want to be, so desperately want to go to med school. Good luck in med school.