Finals before X-mas suck

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctaJay

bone breaker
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
the title says it all. I'm just ready for this week to be over. Anyone else suffering too?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the same boat but the end is nearing. I have 3 writtens tomorrow and 2 practicals on Thursday then I will be done.

Members don't see this ad :)
hope you second years are doing good. We just had our CS&F immuno final and it was fine. PDX yesterday was ridiculous though (cardio + pulm), someone needs to tell Dr. Werner that it isn't really multiple choice if the answer choices go all the way to the letter 'K'.

Yes I am ready for this week to be OVER. The one good thing is that I can walk to the exams and see the snow in the mountains. :cool:

hope you second years are doing good. We just had our CS&F immuno final and it was fine. PDX yesterday was ridiculous though (cardio + pulm), someone needs to tell Dr. Werner that it isn't really multiple choice if the answer choices go all the way to the letter 'K'.

Yes I am ready for this week to be OVER. The one good thing is that I can walk to the exams and see the snow in the mountains. :cool:

lol K? lucky. Mine go to like X.

I have two more exams... GI/Hepatobiliary Disease and Hematology. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh. At least the two essay exams I have are over (CNS and Endocrine Disease)

Oh that Dr. Werner, is he up to his shenanigans and tomfoolery again? Someone should give him a finger waggin!

Oh that Dr. Werner, is he up to his shenanigans and tomfoolery again? Someone should give him a finger waggin!

What are you talking about? DoctaJay and I go to the same school, just making a comment about some of the exams we're having. PEACE and good luck to all on finals.

Yeah my last test is on Friday. I'm in the study mode where I can only study for 15 minutes, and then I have to take a 15 minute break before I can study again.

Yep, our last exam is on friday...although the massive "snowstorm" keeps threatening to cancel class. The school closed yesterday so we missed lecture and small group, but anything we miss due to snow is still on the exam...

On the upside, people out here really freak out over a little snow. It's quite funny actually.

I actually kinda like going late. Then when you finally get out, you feel so money.

the title says it all. I'm just ready for this week to be over. Anyone else suffering too?
Sounds like it sucks, but I'd much rather go into break being able to enjoy it. Sigh, t-minus 7 days.

It just gives you more incentive to rest and relax over the break like never before. I always loved the exams done, bags packed and wheels up for some rest and relaxation. Medical school made me appreciate every last ounce of vacation time when it comes. I love my job but I LOVE my vacations too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Now there is only 48 horus and a MCQ test between me and the end of the Preclinical years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (note, end of classes for pre clinical years, I guess that is only really over once you pass step 1)

in the words of the great iron maiden: time will go, and I will follow...

Last edited:
You got to take the finals at some point. I'd much rather take them before than after Christmas. That way I can fully enjoy my vacation. I'll be done this Friday. Just one more to go. :hardy:

You'll feel much better when you finish and can enjoy x-mas break without worrying about exams. Good luck!

I can almost smell the freedom! At noon tomorrow I plan to celebrate everything I have learned by forgetting as fast as possible!
Good luck to everyone!

Yeah my last test is on Friday. I'm in the study mode where I can only study for 15 minutes, and then I have to take a 15 minute break before I can study again.

I had considered starting a poll about how long you can study without taking a break. People talk about studying for 10-16 hours a day sometimes, and I always wonder how much of that is studying vs. goofing off? For me, during exam week, I tend to study 5 minutes, wander sdn/facebook/etc for 5 minutes. I've done a good job today studying for pharm tomorrow where I actually studied 4 hours straight. Unfortunately, now I am distracted and don't want to study... and I'm only 1/3 through my flashcards. :mad:

Exams just suck in general, but at least there is a vacation following this week. Unfortunately it is only two weeks. I need a month.

Our test isn't until Monday the 22nd. But considering how many people actually have to work on or near Christmas and New Year, I'm not complaining about having 13 days off.

wow nogolfinsnow. That's really close to X-mas. But its true that we have to enjoy our vacations now, because after 2nd year I guess its really not guaranteed.

would you say more schools have their finals before xmas break rather than after? That would suck to have it after, and if it follows the same pattern as some of the college professors at my school, the tests are scheduled on the first day that you get back.... thats really lame.

So far we've gone through micro on Monday, my clinical medicine class yesterday, and pharm this morning...path on Friday morning, and then....more studying to keep up my professional engineering license over the break. No rest for the weary.

So far we've gone through micro on Monday, my clinical medicine class yesterday, and pharm this morning...path on Friday morning, and then....more studying to keep up my professional engineering license over the break. No rest for the weary.

What's the point of keeping your professional engineering license? I was an engineer in undergrad (never worked in the field though-went straight to med school). Just curious if there is a benefit (maybe I'll try to get licensed too)

What's the point of keeping your professional engineering license? I was an engineer in undergrad (never worked in the field though-went straight to med school). Just curious if there is a benefit (maybe I'll try to get licensed too)

In practically every state you have to pass the fundamentals of engineering exam, then work as an engineer for 4 yrs under the supervision of a licensed PE to even sit for the PE exam (kind of like doing a residency except you get paid a market wage for it). Even then, the exam does not have a super high pass rate (I think like 60% depending on area of specialization) because you only want the most competent people in charge of the design of the country's bridges, buildings, machines, etc.

Anyway, I went through a lot of work to get the PE license, and it doesn't take a tremendous amount of effort to keep it current (just doing continuing education like physicians do to keep their license). Also, if I want to, I can pick up quick consulting jobs and make good money without a lot of time spent. And in the future, I can put MD & PE after my name, and there aren't a lot of people who can legally do that. :thumbup:

wow nogolfinsnow. That's really close to X-mas. But its true that we have to enjoy our vacations now, because after 2nd year I guess its really not guaranteed.

Ironically, our 3rd year Xmas break comes out to about 2 days longer!

In practically every state you have to pass the fundamentals of engineering exam, then work as an engineer for 4 yrs under the supervision of a licensed PE to even sit for the PE exam (kind of like doing a residency except you get paid a market wage for it). Even then, the exam does not have a super high pass rate (I think like 60% depending on area of specialization) because you only want the most competent people in charge of the design of the country's bridges, buildings, machines, etc.

Anyway, I went through a lot of work to get the PE license, and it doesn't take a tremendous amount of effort to keep it current (just doing continuing education like physicians do to keep their license). Also, if I want to, I can pick up quick consulting jobs and make good money without a lot of time spent. And in the future, I can put MD & PE after my name, and there aren't a lot of people who can legally do that. :thumbup:

Makes a lot of sense. We were told little about the PE license in UG, and I just figured we'll learn more about it at work (never really happened for me though).

Thanks for the info!