financial advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GuitarMan

Guitarman for President
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently trying to decide between attending a state school and a private school. Both schools are considered equal academically, however rumor has it that people at the private school are generally happier than people at the state school because of better lectures during years 1 and 2, and because of better support for the students. The problem is that the private school costs close to $14,000 more per year than the state school. I can't decide how much weight I should give to this financial difference. I'd like to know what others think about big ticket educations. Do people ever get out from under big education debts like this?

Members don't see this ad.

Correction, the difference is 11,500 per year.

I just learned the state school increased tuition 10%.

Go to your state school. If you are like ~50% of students at all med schools, you will end up sleeping through/skipping half your lectures for year 1+2 anyways. I always tell people to not let year 1+2 decide where you want to go. 2 yrs is an extremely short time and all med schools will teach you or expect you to know the same thing when you finish.