Financial Aid and Post-Bacc Programs (Formal vs. 2nd Deg. vs. DIY?)

LoRezSkyline

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2004
    i originally posted this in the post-bacc forum - then realized this may be a more appropriate place for it, not to mention people more likely to have gone this route already. so cheers for bearing with me on the re-post :)

>>>>>

hey all,

not sure if anyone on here is a financial aid whiz, but i have a question to ask - in terms of applying for loans, grants of any sort - how does it work when you apply for aid as a 2nd degree bacc student vs. being enrolled in an "official" post-bacc program vs. doing an "unofficial" d.i.y. post-bacc at a state university? is there an advantage to any of the three classifications, or is it a toss-up?

i thought i'd read somewhere that as a post-bacc it might be more difficult to get stafford loans and the likes because you're enrolled in a non-degree program, whereas i thought i'd seen someone else mention being able to get these kinds of loans b/c of their degree-seeking 2nd-bacc status? am i completely misinformed here, or what's the deal? all these choices between post-bacc programs are doing my head in, but the one thing i do know is that money will most definitely play a role in my decision!

to give you a bit of perspective on my personal situation - i'm looking at programs across the spectrum right now, everything from formal post-bacc programs at usc/scripps to 2nd degree programs at sfsu/ucsd to the bare-bones d.i.y. route at csula out here. so any light you all can shed on this one would help immensely!

thanks in advance...

About the Ads
    This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
    2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
    3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
    4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
    5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
    6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
    7. This thread is locked.