Financial Aid and rural primary care

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

streetdoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone knows about the program where you get financial aid if you sign a contract to work in a rural or underserved area. I'm definitely thinking or primary care and would definitely like to work in a rural area. can anyoneshed light on this for me.
thanks
streetdoc

Members don't see this ad.

on top of NHSC, some states have scholarships and low interest loan programs for docs practicing in rural areas. get on the horn with you state department of health

I would definitely go with getting info from the state in which you are a resident. I am an IL res from a rural community and upon applying to UIC I was sent and app for a rural medicine program that has tons of financial aid opportunities. Unfortunately I don't believe that I would enjoy primary care and have NO desire to return to a rural community for five years.....20 years was enough for me.:) Trust me though it is worth it if you are interested and I think it is a great profession so call your state school and start to look around fromt there!