Financial Aid and waitlists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dimebag darrell

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if I need to turn in financial aid forms etc. to a school that just waitlisted me - their financial aid page says "Accepted students should meet these deadlines or file two weeks after your offer of acceptance, whichever is later." I assume/hope this means I don't have to do anything unless I get in off the waitlist? Any thoughts?

Cheers.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if I need to turn in financial aid forms etc. to a school that just waitlisted me - their financial aid page says "Accepted students should meet these deadlines or file two weeks after your offer of acceptance, whichever is later." I assume/hope this means I don't have to do anything unless I get in off the waitlist? Any thoughts?

Cheers.

If it's a school that you'd probably go to if taken off the waitlist, I'd go ahead and submit them (I'm submitting mine to UPenn as we speak, without even hearing my decision yet:eek: ), so that things will be ready for you if it actually happens.

On a semi-related note, does anyone know how to send in FAFSA data to more than 6 schools? If one has told me they've received it, can I switch them out for another school and re-send? Paging FAFSA experts...

If it's a school that you'd probably go to if taken off the waitlist, I'd go ahead and submit them (I'm submitting mine to UPenn as we speak, without even hearing my decision yet:eek: ), so that things will be ready for you if it actually happens.

On a semi-related note, does anyone know how to send in FAFSA data to more than 6 schools? If one has told me they've received it, can I switch them out for another school and re-send? Paging FAFSA experts...

Yes. At least that is what I was told during several different financial aid presentations. Once you confirm that a school has received it, you can re-submit it with different schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely. Hopefully by the time you find out where you got in, you'll have received each school's financial aid package, which may play a big part in where you decide to go!

Definitely. Hopefully by the time you find out where you got in, you'll have received each school's financial aid package, which may play a big part in where you decide to go!

Schools start notifying applicants of acceptances as early as mid October. Financial aid and scholarship decisions aren't rendered until mid April.

when I did the FAFSA last year, I just went ahead and sent it to the school I was waitlisted at. you might as well.

Yeah, better for them to have it and not need it than the other way around. It won't cost you anything.

I send mine to the University of Hawaii every year just for the hell of it.

clarification: by financial aid papers do u mean just fafsa-bc the 2 schools im WL at havent sent me jack.

clarification: by financial aid papers do u mean just fafsa-bc the 2 schools im WL at havent sent me jack.

Even schools that you're accepted at may not explicityly request the fin. aid data. Do a little homework (lookover your interview day materials, tool around the school website), and you'll find most say you can send in the data before even hearing the final decision. I think the bare minimum that you could do (basically every school requires these), is send the FAFSA, and then sending to the Fin. Aid office signed copies of your and your parents W-2s and Tax returns (with Schedule A if you itemize deductions).