financial aid award

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lakersbaby

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does the amount of financial aid awarded come after you are accepted or can it come any time as long as you filled out a fafsa?

Members don't see this ad.

Financial aid only comes out after you've been accepted AND completed the required paperwork. This almost always means FAFSA though some schools will also demand the NeedAccess website, specific institutional forms, and/or copies of taxes.

Merit aid, however, can come any time after an acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
i got my financial aid award for loma linda but have not received an acceptance. the weird thing is that loma linda was supposed to give out decisions on friday but i got my financial aid award that day.

i got my financial aid award for loma linda but have not received an acceptance. the weird thing is that loma linda was supposed to give out decisions on friday but i got my financial aid award that day.
err....???? They went through the trouble of putting together a financial aid package for you even though they didn't technically accept you?!

That's bizarre.

err....???? They went through the trouble of putting together a financial aid package for you even though they didn't technically accept you?!

That's bizarre.

yeah i dont really understand it. its like they are teasing me or something :(

if they reject you, run with their money!

Call them and ask - I bet you did get accepted and they somehow forgot the acceptance part...

Can't imagine a school wasting time on financial aid packages for students who weren't accepted.

Call them and ask - I bet you did get accepted and they somehow forgot the acceptance part...

Can't imagine a school wasting time on financial aid packages for students who weren't accepted.

Exactly. I bet you've been accepted, too....call them up. Given the choice of putting together finaid packages for 4,000+ applicants vs. ~150 accepted students, they're clearly only going to do the later (especially since they couldn't possibly figure out scholarship money for 4000 people).

Exactly. I bet you've been accepted, too....call them up. Given the choice of putting together finaid packages for 4,000+ applicants vs. ~150 accepted students, they're clearly only going to do the later (especially since they couldn't possibly figure out scholarship money for 4000 people).

i had my hopes up a bit but i just called and the financial aid lady said i dont need to be accepted to get awarded aid. :(

i had my hopes up a bit but i just called and the financial aid lady said i dont need to be accepted to get awarded aid. :(

Awww. Well don't worry about it I'm sure you'll hear soon. Also, thats really stupid to award aid w/o acceptances. I've never heard of that before.

I would call the admissions office if I were you, financial aid people are known to jump the gun. My school's financial aid office sent me an email congratulating me on my acceptance before I had received the official word. Though I guess she did say they award it before acceptances, but that sounds like a lot of unnecessary work.

Wow that sucks... They didn't tell you if you were accepted or not?

Seems like an awesome way to get you all stressed out...

Once again:

I love this process :D

...the financial aid lady said i dont need to be accepted to get awarded aid. :(

Wow, that seems really cruel. Maybe you could gage how much of a chance you have by how good your fin aid package is?

Wow, that seems really cruel. Maybe you could gage how much of a chance you have by how good your fin aid package is?

ok so i called again and this time they couldnt tell me if i got in or not but they told me a letter has been sent out. the admissions office could not tell me if that financial aid meant i got in. this is driving me nuts

Sweet Jesus, that sucks. Although I'm still thinking/hoping that you got in, because I still think it's just insane for them to randomly create finaid packages for people they're not going to accept. And I'll second the suggestion that if they've randomly given you scholarship money but don't accept you, take that money and run! :laugh: :luck:

It's probably good news. Like I said above, the financial aid office sent me an email congratulating me on my acceptance before I was officially accepted. I printed out the email and took it to the admissions office (I work in the same building) and the secretary told me that she wasn't legally authorized to tell me if I was accepted or not, but to wait and see if I got anything in the mail. She took down my name just in case, but about 10 days later I received my acceptance letter.

It's probably good news. Like I said above, the financial aid office sent me an email congratulating me on my acceptance before I was officially accepted. I printed out the email and took it to the admissions office (I work in the same building) and the secretary told me that she wasn't legally authorized to tell me if I was accepted or not, but to wait and see if I got anything in the mail. She took down my name just in case, but about 10 days later I received my acceptance letter.

was this loma linda?

Weird is all I can say.

ok heres what i got from the financial aid director and it doesnt look good for me

"We do process a financial aid for students that have applied to Loma Linda University prior to acceptance. This is so that students have the opportunity to see what aid is available if they are trying to decide between schools and also so students that are not accepted don’t miss out on the preferred funding (if any). While you can accept the funding, if you do not enroll at LLU for the program your aid is intended for, the aid package would be cancelled. You can also wait until you receive an acceptance since the financial aid package will remain available until a few weeks into the first quarter."

ok heres what i got from the financial aid director and it doesnt look good for me

"We do process a financial aid for students that have applied to Loma Linda University prior to acceptance. This is so that students have the opportunity to see what aid is available if they are trying to decide between schools and also so students that are not accepted don’t miss out on the preferred funding (if any). While you can accept the funding, if you do not enroll at LLU for the program your aid is intended for, the aid package would be cancelled. You can also wait until you receive an acceptance since the financial aid package will remain available until a few weeks into the first quarter."

i feel your pain!!! same thing happened to me.... an offer of money but no acceptance. boo-hiss.