financial aid dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moomix906

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I thought I was pretty sure on one of two schools that I was choosing between. However, recently the one school that I had decided I was going to turn down actually gave me a bigger scholarship than the one I was going to go with. The difference is pretty small, about like 4k. I was thinking to ask my choice if they would match it. The thing is, I am still holding out hope for waitlists, and if my school actually does match the financial aid award, would I be sorta obliged to go to that school?

Members don't see this ad.

4k is nothing. aren't you going to be embarassed asking the other school to match this?

Yeah relative to the overall amount I'm not sure thats even worth noticing and definitely not worth bringing up to the med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
4k a year could let me eat real food instead of instant noodles...why not ask for it. The only thing holding me back is if I would be obligated to ditch my waitlists for it

4k a year could let me eat real food instead of instant noodles...why not ask for it. The only thing holding me back is if I would be obligated to ditch my waitlists for it

You wouldn't be obliged to go there if they matched the offer.

well okay, you didn't mention it was 4k per year. at any rate, you have a valid question regardless of the amount and that's what should be focused on. i don't know the answer, but i suspect that if you word your request carefully you won't be obligated to accept the school's increased offer.

So I thought I was pretty sure on one of two schools that I was choosing between. However, recently the one school that I had decided I was going to turn down actually gave me a bigger scholarship than the one I was going to go with. The difference is pretty small, about like 4k. I was thinking to ask my choice if they would match it. The thing is, I am still holding out hope for waitlists, and if my school actually does match the financial aid award, would I be sorta obliged to go to that school?

You can ask for it but I can pretty much guarantee you won't get it. The record of people asking for one school to match another and getting it is pretty dismal for medical school. Way too many people are willing to shell out the big bucks, and quite frankly, $4000 is such a measly amount that the way they'll see it is that it shouldn't prevent you from choosing one school over another. If the difference was like $20,000 a year, they may be more likely to help you because it could actually make a difference where you'd go but $4000? If you really liked that one place, you'd just suck it up and pay/borrow the difference.