Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

financial aid dilemma

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by moomix906, May 7, 2007.

1. moomix906

Medical Student
    So I thought I was pretty sure on one of two schools that I was choosing between. However, recently the one school that I had decided I was going to turn down actually gave me a bigger scholarship than the one I was going to go with. The difference is pretty small, about like 4k. I was thinking to ask my choice if they would match it. The thing is, I am still holding out hope for waitlists, and if my school actually does match the financial aid award, would I be sorta obliged to go to that school?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Doctor~Detroit

Doctor~Detroit this poll sux!!!

4k is nothing. aren't you going to be embarassed asking the other school to match this?

4. alwaysaangel

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah relative to the overall amount I'm not sure thats even worth noticing and definitely not worth bringing up to the med school.

5. ropeadope1983

Medical Student

Telegraph Lady: As long as you're asking, why not go for a cool million?
    Semmi: You do not think that would be too much?
    Telegraph Lady: Naah.

Quotes from the film "Coming to America"

6. moomix906

Medical Student
    4k a year could let me eat real food instead of instant noodles...why not ask for it. The only thing holding me back is if I would be obligated to ditch my waitlists for it

7. Darkshooter326

Darkshooter326 Senior Member

Pre-Medical
    You wouldn't be obliged to go there if they matched the offer.

8. Doctor~Detroit

Doctor~Detroit this poll sux!!!

well okay, you didn't mention it was 4k per year. at any rate, you have a valid question regardless of the amount and that's what should be focused on. i don't know the answer, but i suspect that if you word your request carefully you won't be obligated to accept the school's increased offer.

9. pillowhead

pillowhead Senior Member

You can ask for it but I can pretty much guarantee you won't get it. The record of people asking for one school to match another and getting it is pretty dismal for medical school. Way too many people are willing to shell out the big bucks, and quite frankly, $4000 is such a measly amount that the way they'll see it is that it shouldn't prevent you from choosing one school over another. If the difference was like $20,000 a year, they may be more likely to help you because it could actually make a difference where you'd go but $4000? If you really liked that one place, you'd just suck it up and pay/borrow the difference.

10. LifetimeDoc

LifetimeDoc EM Attending
    Physician

Attending Physician
    Can I be put in this kind of dilemma? Please?:rolleyes: