Financial Aid/FAFSA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYCmedschoolapp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel like this is probably a common concern, but I've called two fin. aid offices and they aren't really sure. My parents are divorced and my dad is remarried. I am financially independent, but have been "claimed" by my mom for the duration of my undergrad. I'm not AT ALL financially tied to my dad and his wife, but my fear is that schools will ask for his financial info (including my stepmom's) for consideration for aid. This will probably prevent me from getting aid I need. Does anyone know how this works when there are stepparents involved?

Members don't see this ad.

I feel like this is probably a common concern, but I've called two fin. aid offices and they aren't really sure. My parents are divorced and my dad is remarried. I am financially independent, but have been "claimed" by my mom for the duration of my undergrad. I'm not AT ALL financially tied to my dad and his wife, but my fear is that schools will ask for his financial info (including my stepmom's) for consideration for aid. This will probably prevent me from getting aid I need. Does anyone know how this works when there are stepparents involved?

Looking at the aid form I had to submit for one of the schools I applied to last year, they requested information only from the parent who gave the most emotional and/or financial support if one's parents were not married to each other.

Looking at the aid form I had to submit for one of the schools I applied to last year, they requested information only from the parent who gave the most emotional and/or financial support if one's parents were not married to each other.

thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)

If you're legally independent for financial aid purposes, you don't even need your parents information nor would they ask for it. But if you're under 25, yeah I would just pick the one that gave you the most support.

If you're legally independent for financial aid purposes, you don't even need your parents information nor would they ask for it. But if you're under 25, yeah I would just pick the one that gave you the most support.

You're legally independent regarding financial aid for medical school no matter what age you are (don't know about under 18).

Schools ask for parents' information to determine institutional aid. But you're correct that you don't have to give parents' information for federal aid.

Thanks to everyone for the help. Also, I was referring to institutional aid, not federal aid.

Unfortunately it varies by institution. I believe that at my school you have to provide info from both parents even if they are divorced.

I believe priority deadline is beginning of March. Of course, you could submit as late as June, but it'll only delay your financial aid award offer.

For the FAFSA, should you designate schools that you are still in the running for (haven't been rejected from yet), schools that you have interviewed at, or only schools you have been accepted to?

Thanks.

For the FAFSA, should you designate schools that you are still in the running for (haven't been rejected from yet), schools that you have interviewed at, or only schools you have been accepted to?

Thanks.
Designate any schools you might actually attend, though I think there is a limit of 10 or so schools you can choose....

Unfortunately it varies by institution. I believe that at my school you have to provide info from both parents even if they are divorced.

Seriously, keep this in mind. One of my schools has required that I submit a petition (including 3rd party verification) so that I don't have to include financial information one of my parents.