Financial aid for accepted students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kimkim

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I have questions for you guys.

So if you have been accepted to more than one medical school and if you have made deposits to all the schools you have been accepted, you have until May 15th to make a decision(choose one school).

However, if you want to see your financial aid letters before choosing one school, how is this possible? As far as I know, the schools don't send out financial aid letters until like June or July. So should you really just choose one school without knowing your financial aid situation? If financial aid will play a key role in making a decision, what should I do?
For example, there are schools that give out some institutional aid, and I want to see if I will be able to receive it. But I am pretty sure I wouldn't know that info by May 15th, which is the date you have to pick one school.

How does this process work?
Thank you so much guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!

So if you have been accepted to more than one medical school and if you have made deposits to all the schools you have been accepted, you have until May 15th to make a decision(choose one school).

However, if you want to see your financial aid letters before choosing one school, how is this possible? As far as I know, the schools don't send out financial aid letters until like June or July. So should you really just choose one school without knowing your financial aid situation? If financial aid will play a key role in making a decision, what should I do?
For example, there are schools that give out some institutional aid, and I want to see if I will be able to receive it. But I am pretty sure I wouldn't know that info by May 15th, which is the date you have to pick one school.

Thank you so much guys.

really? My schools send them mid april/early may

Hi!

Thank you so much guys.

Almost all schools send their financial aid award letter before May 15th to the accepted students.

Members don't see this ad :)
some schools will wait until later to send out your official aid packages, but if you ask them beforehand, they can often times give you an estimate of what aid will look like

Did your school mention a "priority" date for the FAFSA? As I understand it, this is the date that if you are able to turn in your FAFSA by then, the school can get your your financial aid information before the deadline to pick a school.

Are you sure you are understanding this correctly? I thought ALL schools gave out notices for financial aid before this deadline. It would be terrible policy to tell you financial aid later than this, as I would no doubt choose a school which promised me x amount of financial aid over one that said "we don't know yet" or even "maybe this much"

Far as I know, if you submitted all your financial aid forms (FAFSA and additional documents that the school requires, if any) by like March 15th or April 1st, you should get your estimated financial aid package by the first week of May.

I couldn't make the deadline for my school due to family issues, but the financial aid officer I talked to said not to worry about it because I wasn't trying to compare multiple schools... I was definitely going to that school (the program trumped any financial benefit).