financial aid for international students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

t7964

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new to this forum and am hoping someone out there would help me out in a tough decision I am debating about. I am an international student who is doing undergrad here in the U.S., and would very much like to go to a medical school here. I am currently a junior and hope to start applying this summer, but first I need to know which schools offer any kind of financial assistance to foreign students to obtain an M.D(not M.D./Ph.D). So far, I know only Columbia, Harvard, and Baylor have some kind of aid for international students. Is there anyone who has gone through a similar kind of search and knows more schools that have financial aid programs for non-citizens? I have also heard that loans are generally not a good idea, since they have significantly higher interest rates for non-citizens, and considering the paucity of income that you will have during residency, you'll be in debt for a long time. Is there anyone more knowledgeable about these things, and are there other types of private/public aid that is available to people like me?

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to SDN !!

I can think of Dartmouth as one school that gives out some aid to internationals.

I have heard that Harvard and Yale have aid for internationals. I am a little suspicious about Columbia, and I am pretty sure that Baylor does not give out aid for internationals. That being said, Baylor is around 15-20k per year for out-of-staters (including internationals), so it is a good bargain compared to Columbia, Cornell, Duke, etc. that are 30k. For cornell, Wash U and Penn, you need 200k upfront for sure, and I generally consider that upfront-money-requirement to be the norm rather than exception. UCLA is also cheap but...well...it's a UC. I have also heard some people said that SUNY-upstate takes internationals. U of Vermont and Hawaii also seem to (double-check). These are the cheaper options.

Wash U and Penn have full-rides scholarships available to internationals and Americans alike (you just need to win one). Case Western has 20k Dean's scholarship that internationals can compete.

You should seriously consider McGill Univ. in Canada (I shall be shameless with my sales pitch). It has excellent rep in the U.S. if you want to end up practicing there. Look for the book, Medical School Admissions Requirements (MSAR), published by American Association of Medical Colleges and it will tell you that all American and Canadian schools are accreditted by the same governing body and are considered equivalent. McGill is far cheaper!!! Or visit their website and find more info on your own. McGill also has 1 1/2 year basic science condensed (like Penn and Baylor) so you start ward experience early. Montreal is also the coolest city in N. America (ok, maybe Paris is better....).

columbia yes! A friend (international) of mine got an almost full ride to columbia this year