Financial Aid for International Students??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whiteE8

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi, i got accepted in to a postdoc program at a private university in the US.
i am just curious if you guys know anything about the availability of financial assistance to international post-grad students. i heard before that some schools support international students financially, provided that they agree to remain in the school to teach for a couple of years after they finish their post-doc programs, as there are not enough of teaching staff these days.
do you guys know anything about this?

also, with a creditworthy US co-signer, i believe that the interest rate is around 3% or so (Citi); am i correct?

any input will be appreciated.

THANK YOU!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi & congratulations on your post-doc position, let me first start with the interest rate part, that 3% rate seems very very impossible to exist, even with a creditworthy US co-signer, even federal loans come with a higher interest rate than this, so you might want to check with lenders directly.

Second point, regarding financial aid, federal and/or state financial aid is usually limited to US citizens and permanent residents, and it's mostly in the form of loans (have to be paid back). You still may get some financial help from your school in the form of assistanships, or resident stipends, and for that you have to check directly with your institution to see if that option is available.

Best of luck :thumbup:

whiteE8 said:
hi, i got accepted in to a postdoc program at a private university in the US.
i am just curious if you guys know anything about the availability of financial assistance to international post-grad students. i heard before that some schools support international students financially, provided that they agree to remain in the school to teach for a couple of years after they finish their post-doc programs, as there are not enough of teaching staff these days.
do you guys know anything about this?

also, with a creditworthy US co-signer, i believe that the interest rate is around 3% or so (Citi); am i correct?

any input will be appreciated.

THANK YOU!