Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

financial aid for international students

Discussion in 'Financial Aid' started by t7964, May 23, 2002.

1. t7964

t7964 New Member

Hi,
    I'm new to this forum and am hoping someone out there would help me out in a tough decision I am debating about. I am an international student who is doing undergrad here in the U.S., and would very much like to go to a medical school here. I am currently a junior and hope to start applying this summer, but first I need to know which schools offer any kind of financial assistance to foreign students to obtain an M.D(not M.D./Ph.D). So far, I know only Columbia, Harvard, and Baylor have some kind of aid for international students. Is there anyone who has gone through a similar kind of search and knows more schools that have financial aid programs for non-citizens? I have also heard that loans are generally not a good idea, since they have significantly higher interest rates for non-citizens, and considering the paucity of income that you will have during residency, you'll be in debt for a long time. Is there anyone more knowledgeable about these things, and are there other types of private/public aid that is available to people like me?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. paean

paean Senior Member

I don't know aout schools, but if you really want to stay in the US, you will eventually be able to pay off the loans, even at the terrible rates, as long as thy are willing to take lower payments during residency. Depending on where you are from, you might want to look into lenders in your home country, I have heard of students doing that for undergrad. Also, if you plan on staying in the US permanently, and you have family who are citizens, you could consider defering and working on getting permanent residency. I know these ideas may not help, so best of luck.

4. mackaikai

Attending Physician
    are there any international students taking on private loan now? did you have co-borrower and what's your interest rate??

5. WT518

WT518 New Member

Non-Student
    Does anyone have any information on getting money for travel for residency interviews, and books for study, or Kaplan courses, etc? I guess the only option is to take a private loan from a bank. If anyone has any further information I would appreciate it. Most of the loans out there are for students and are administered/granted via the med school. I am out of med school (overseas) and working on my steps right now, would hate to put all of this on my credit cards...but that might be the easiest option...

6. miggy

miggy Banned
    Banned

Hello! Please help me. Is anyone here willing to help me in applying in a loan for international students? I need a U.S. citizen to be my cosigner for the loan I am applying for. I do not know anyone from the US who can be my cosigner. Where can I find cosigners who can help me? Please help me.

7. migs03

migs03 Banned
    Banned

Sorry...
    I'll just repost it without shouting...

Hello! Please help me. Is anyone here willing to help me in applying in a loan for international students? I need a U.S. citizen to be my cosigner for the loan I am applying for. I do not know anyone from the US who can be my cosigner. Where can I find cosigners who can help me? Please help me.

8. J.opt

Most lenders will approve private loans to international students, but all the ones I have seen require a cosigner. The only exception I have found is Access Group that has the Comprehensive Access Loan, for which international students with an established credit history are eligible. However, I have good credit and I was denied this loan.

Does anyone know about other loans like this one from Access Group that don’t require a co-signer for international students?

9. DrLizzie

DrLizzie Still in the game

Medical Student
    Hi,
    I am in the same situation. Did you try with a cosigner? As far as I know, that's the only option availible right now for international students.