Financial Aid for Medschool?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FrankMD

Ophthalmologist Wanna Be
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question about financial aid for medschool. How does it exactly work? Do we file FAFSA like undergrad or are there other process? Responses will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you file everything just like you did as an undergraduate.

Also, you hear about people telling you to check your credit and making sure your credit is flawless...I was really worried about that because my credit is NOT flawless. However, federal stafford loans are GUARANTEED loans. I could have borrowed the max of 40K if I chose to. Now, there are other loans out there that may require a credit check...it all depends on how much you need to borrow.

There are also some loans that require your parent's information....no matter how long you've been married. I can't remember which one it is..but there were several older students in my class who've been married for 5+ years that had to get a hold of their parent's tax returns.

I hope this helps. Actually, I thought dealing with financial aid in medical school was a lot easier than it was as an undergraduate. Here, they only have 150 students to deal with...in college..there were many, many thousand!

There are also tons of military, private, community, and academic scholarships available for you to research.

Thanks for your help.
One more question.
When do I have to file FAFSA by and which schools do I have to designate if I haven't decided where to go?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by I Bleed Blue and Gold:
•Thanks for your help.
One more question.
When do I have to file FAFSA by and which schools do I have to designate if I haven't decided where to go?•••••You should file as soon as possible.
Every school has a different deadline date, and each state also has a different deadline date. It doesn't mean its impossible to get money afterwards, but the amount available to you can be greatly reduced.
I have seen many deadlines as April 1...but I think getting it in before March 1 wouldn't be a bad idea.

If you don't know which school, its free to put them all down. That way, the one you go to eventually will have all your info in time, and the others simply delete your info if you don't go there.

Hope that helps.
Wifty