1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Financial Aid Lenders

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by kelisita, Jun 6, 2001.

1. kelisita

kelisita Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on choosing a lender. I have narrowed down my schools preferred lenders list to two choices US Bank or Medloans. US Bank's benefits include no guarantee fee, 1/4% interest for autopay, 2% interest rate reduction after 48 payments, rebate of 3% origination fee after 24 payments and rebate of five months interest on unsubsidized stafford loan after the 2001-2002 school year. I have read over the information on Medloans but am confused at how it compares. If anyone could provide insight I would really appreciate it.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ckent

ckent Membership Revoked
    Removed

4. kelisita

kelisita Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for the help.

5. cavaor

cavaor Member
    10+ Year Member

Make sure you have a choice. I was informed by my financial aid office that I do not have a choice. I have to use the school's.

6. joojoobeware

joojoobeware Member
    7+ Year Member

I went with T.H.E.'s stafford loan.
    I hope i made the right choice. They seemed like they had the best plan and incentives out there.

7. Dreamer

Dreamer Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I agree, go to T.H.E. You can find them at www.northstar.org, if I remember the webpage correctly. If I am not istaken tehy do not charge you distribution fee.

8. docuw

docuw Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

The best ones to go with (in my opinion) are the ones with 0% Origination Fee. MedCAP (Wells Fargo) and THE (Northstar) offer this. I went with MedCAP because they were on my prefered lender list.
    My school simply uses that prefered list because they know how to deal with those banks.

The 0% orig fee is nice because you save that 3% off the bat, when you really need the money. So on $38,500 (max Sub/Unsub) you dont have that $1155 taken away when you really need it (during school).