Financial Aid Lenders

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by kelisita, Jun 6, 2001.

1. kelisita

kelisita Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on choosing a lender. I have narrowed down my schools preferred lenders list to two choices US Bank or Medloans. US Bank's benefits include no guarantee fee, 1/4% interest for autopay, 2% interest rate reduction after 48 payments, rebate of 3% origination fee after 24 payments and rebate of five months interest on unsubsidized stafford loan after the 2001-2002 school year. I have read over the information on Medloans but am confused at how it compares. If anyone could provide insight I would really appreciate it.

2. ckent

ckent Membership Revoked
    Removed

3. kelisita

kelisita Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for the help.

4. cavaor

cavaor Member
    10+ Year Member

Make sure you have a choice. I was informed by my financial aid office that I do not have a choice. I have to use the school's.

5. joojoobeware

joojoobeware Member
    7+ Year Member

I went with T.H.E.'s stafford loan.
    I hope i made the right choice. They seemed like they had the best plan and incentives out there.

6. Dreamer

Dreamer Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I agree, go to T.H.E. You can find them at www.northstar.org, if I remember the webpage correctly. If I am not istaken tehy do not charge you distribution fee.

7. docuw

docuw Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

The best ones to go with (in my opinion) are the ones with 0% Origination Fee. MedCAP (Wells Fargo) and THE (Northstar) offer this. I went with MedCAP because they were on my prefered lender list.
    My school simply uses that prefered list because they know how to deal with those banks.

The 0% orig fee is nice because you save that 3% off the bat, when you really need the money. So on $38,500 (max Sub/Unsub) you dont have that $1155 taken away when you really need it (during school).