Financial aid, loans, and INSURANCE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nc2tarheels

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm 25 and in undergrad. So I can't be claimed on my parents insurance. Recently I quit my job to go back to school so therefore I have no insurance. What options do I have in order to get basic insurance? I'll be living off student loans and financial aid for the next few years and would like some input. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Most schools offer some type of health insurance to their students, should be about 1k a year for basic coverage. You could also go the private insurance route for yourself, but the group rate through your school will probaby be the cheapest.

Most schools offer some type of health insurance to their students; should be about $1K a year for basic coverage. You could also go the private insurance route for yourself, but the group rate through your school will probaby be the cheapest.

This has not been my experience at all. Student health insurance through my school costs ~$2600/year. My husband's (high deductible, no frills) policy, which we purchased privately, runs $48/month.

But, yes, to answer the OP's question, you can get health insurance through your school or on the private market. You'll probably want to investigate both options.

If you are not on a group plan through your parents you must go through the school at Wayne. Since you are above that age anyway it doesn't make any difference. So you should talk to your school. It should say this on your paperwork for registration.