financial aid options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

labelwhore

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i've been sorting through heaps of information and id appreciate it if someone could explain the various financial aid options to me clearly. i have a specific question also. i'm primarily looking for grants and not loans. is it possible to get grants from the government by filling out fafsa or does that form only make someone eligible for federal loans?

Members don't see this ad.

Federal Pell Grant — This need-based grant is awarded to the most needy students according to a federal eligibility formula. Only undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor's degree are eligible. Award amounts vary according to hours enrolled and need. To be considered for this grant students must submit a FAFSA.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) — This need-based grant is awarded to undergraduate students (without a prior bachelor's degree) showing the greatest financial need. To be considered for this grant students must meet the March 1 priority deadline for filing the FAFSA.

This is information from my school's financial aid office. I assume it's universal, but YMMV.