financial aid package QUESTION...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iwannagomed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
because most of us (if not all) have not received any financial aid packages yet, u may not know the answer to this... but just in case...

i have recently submitted all my financial aid applications (fafsa, university loan forms, MPN, grad PLUS,...). and because i wont have any income during med school, and because my parents are not in a position to help me financially, i asked the max possible loan for the full budget of attending the school...

here comes the question...

upon receiving my financial aid package (i guess in april?), do i HAVE to take out the loans they grant me, or can i take out less than that amount... (i realized that interest will accumulate on the loans i take out during the 4 yrs in med school to an amount that i dont even wanna think about...)

so if they offer say $60,000 in loans, can i just decide to take $50,000 of that and be really frugal and cut back on my spendings as much as possible...?

i would sincerely appreciate any shared knowledge!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes you can. And you can usually take out more later on if you realize you need it.

I believe you can- most schools will automatically give you the maximum amount of loans you need to cover your need. After you get the award, you can turn down parts of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks guys for the super fast, super informative replies!!!