Financial aid packages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Senescence kid

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I was curious how schools generate financial aid packages and when they usually get released.

Also are there any need based grants available or is it usually just loans?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Each school has a different process. It's all a black box to applicants though, for us it's just a matter of waiting to hear in late winter/early spring what the financial package is.

Usually released in April at the latest.

There is merit scholarship, need-based aid, and loans. The average amount of debt can vary a lot between places and between students at the same place. Can't predict how much loan burden you will be asked to carry until you actually get your individual report from the school financial office.

Usually released in April at the latest.

I don't know if my case is unusual, but two of the schools where I have been accepted do not release financial aid packages until AFTER the date when you can hold more than one acceptance. One of the schools actually doesn't release financial aid info until late July.

I have no idea why they do that. July seems so late, and money is a big factor.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if my case is unusual, but two of the schools where I have been accepted do not release financial aid packages until AFTER the date when you can hold more than one acceptance. One of the schools actually doesn't release financial aid info until late July.

That's really strange, they must lose a bunch of students to other schools every year because of this

Reactions: 1 users

No it's not unusual. Schools are not required to give you financial info before the date.

no, they save a lot of time and effort in not preparing FA packages for students who will not be attending, especially those who are considering cost after being offered the honor of admission to our prestigious institution . There are lots of people behind you who will gladly take your place

Sounds like both your statements could be true. They may lose students because of this (understandable), and the school may save time (also understandable).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile