Financial Aid Q for current 3/4th yr PCOMers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BMW19

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having trouble getting a straight answer on this issue. I am at the GA campus and we do not have 3rd or 4th years yet. On the FA form for 3rd year you can check the box that says 12 month schedule in which case you can get up to $47+grand for the 3rd and 4th years individually. Is this extra money automatic (in other words just check that box and fill out the FAFSA) or is this a case where you have to apply for x-tra money separately (i.e. Grad plus loan or other). I have heard 2 different answers from many different people. Can someone who has been thru 3rd/4th year offer any insight?

Thanx,

BMW-

Members don't see this ad.

It's automatic as long as you request it (you don't have to apply for extra money)

As a 3rd/4th year student, you are considered a year-round student (instead of a 9-month student) so you will be eligible for the year-round limit on the stafford unsubsidize portion (which I believe for Class of 2009 is $36,667 instead of a $30,000 limit if you were a 9-month student) so you can request a higher limit for your stafford

Remember there is still a lifetime limit on stafford (a little over $189k)

Thanks GT. Do you have to make this request on the FAFSA or just the Financial Aid form?

BMW-

It's automatic as long as you request it (you don't have to apply for extra money)

As a 3rd/4th year student, you are considered a year-round student (instead of a 9-month student) so you will be eligible for the year-round limit on the stafford unsubsidize portion (which I believe for Class of 2009 is $36,667 instead of a $30,000 limit if you were a 9-month student) so you can request a higher limit for your stafford

Remember there is still a lifetime limit on stafford (a little over $189k)