Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Financial Aid Question for Future Med Student

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by princessbabe, Apr 4, 2004.

1. princessbabe

princessbabe Member
    7+ Year Member

So, say you have money in your personal bank account, maybe around 5 thousand dollars. I am an independent, but will listing this amount be detrimental to my financial aid? It seems that I need at least some money to live for myself.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Kalel

Kalel Membership Revoked
    Removed

Five thousand in your savings account should be inconsequential. FA formulas aren't written to penalize people for having a small amount of cash in their bank account (savings or checking). I had ~5,000 at the beginning of med school and ended up with an EFC of 0.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ad_sharp

ad_sharp Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    5000 dollars is nothing to the FA people at med school. Getting your degree is going to cost a lot more than that.

4. Vincristine

7+ Year Member

Just in case you need another vote: won't make a difference. In my four years of medical school, my first FAFSA said I a couple grand to my name, the second said I had none, the third said I got married and had some money, and the fourth said I was married and didn't have a dime. My aid was more or less the same all four years. Medical school FA isn't like undergrad. They don't expect you to have support (from parents, a job, or trust fund), and can usually find you enough money to pay your tuition PLUS living expenses. I've not heard of people not getting enough money, but if you're in a bind, citibank student loans will ALWAYS lend you more money and are really quite friendly people.

5. Ryo-Ohki

7+ Year Member

Unless you have some capital gains or other activities that would make you file a somewhat complicated tax return, you would qualify for the simple needs test. This would allow them to ignore your assets.
    In any case, $5K is practically nothing anyway. At worst, they would expect you to spend 1/4 of that a year on your schooling($1250).