Financial Aid Question for Future Med Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

princessbabe

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, say you have money in your personal bank account, maybe around 5 thousand dollars. I am an independent, but will listing this amount be detrimental to my financial aid? It seems that I need at least some money to live for myself.

Members don't see this ad.

Five thousand in your savings account should be inconsequential. FA formulas aren't written to penalize people for having a small amount of cash in their bank account (savings or checking). I had ~5,000 at the beginning of med school and ended up with an EFC of 0.

5000 dollars is nothing to the FA people at med school. Getting your degree is going to cost a lot more than that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just in case you need another vote: won't make a difference. In my four years of medical school, my first FAFSA said I a couple grand to my name, the second said I had none, the third said I got married and had some money, and the fourth said I was married and didn't have a dime. My aid was more or less the same all four years. Medical school FA isn't like undergrad. They don't expect you to have support (from parents, a job, or trust fund), and can usually find you enough money to pay your tuition PLUS living expenses. I've not heard of people not getting enough money, but if you're in a bind, citibank student loans will ALWAYS lend you more money and are really quite friendly people.

Unless you have some capital gains or other activities that would make you file a somewhat complicated tax return, you would qualify for the simple needs test. This would allow them to ignore your assets.
In any case, $5K is practically nothing anyway. At worst, they would expect you to spend 1/4 of that a year on your schooling($1250).