Financial Aid Question re: families and dental school

Ruprick

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2005
Arizona
Status
Potential 2005 dental student here -- I am married with one kid. My brother (who is a resident patholigist in Boston) told me that the schools in New England will allow people in my situation to take out loans for one person only. In other words, they don't offer students with families more money. Many of the people he knows have to live in gov't subsidized housing and the spouse often has to take a 2nd job because the money they borrow is simply not enough to support a family.

Does anyone have any input/experience with this?

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2001
Arizona
Status
Dentist
It doesn't have anything to do with New England--ALL dental schools base their budgets (the maximum you can take out in loans) on the individual student, regardless of whether or not they are single or married with 5 kids.

Government subsidized housing, spouse working, etc. are all common options that are used to make ends meet.

I'm speaking from experience here.

OP
Ruprick

Ruprick

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2005
Arizona
Status
ItsGavinC said:
It doesn't have anything to do with New England--ALL dental schools base their budgets (the maximum you can take out in loans) on the individual student, regardless of whether or not they are single or married with 5 kids.

Government subsidized housing, spouse working, etc. are all common options that are used to make ends meet.

I'm speaking from experience here.
Just what is the maximum that one can take out on loans, then? Is it generally enough to live on even with a small family (I realize this depends on where you live)?

For you dental students out there with families, what is your experience? I guess I'm a little surprised my brother was able to go through med school with three kids without living in subsidized housing or his wife working, although he did go to med school in Canada.

I work as a loan officer for my second job. I'm wondering if I will have the time in dental school to do 1-2 loans a month--which would mean about 20 hours of work / month.

velikimajmun

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2005
Status
Ruprick said:
Just what is the maximum that one can take out on loans, then? Is it generally enough to live on even with a small family (I realize this depends on where you live)?

For you dental students out there with families, what is your experience? I guess I'm a little surprised my brother was able to go through med school with three kids without living in subsidized housing or his wife working, although he did go to med school in Canada.

I work as a loan officer for my second job. I'm wondering if I will have the time in dental school to do 1-2 loans a month--which would mean about 20 hours of work / month.

I just noticed in another thread you are from BYU. There are a number of LDS here in philly who have wives who don't work with multiple kids. They are taking massive loans. I believe the cap on federal loans is 38,500. The rest of the loans are private and I know of one guy who is taking ~80,000 per year. Hope that helps