1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

financial aid question

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by daverad, May 1, 2001.

1. daverad

daverad Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I can not find an answer to this question anywhere.

If you have a full scholarship for all tuition/books for med school, are you still eligible for financial aid for money to live on. I have a wife (who is also a full time student)and 2 kids and do not see how we could work full time while in med school. I think we can live on fin aid money as long as we eat mac n cheese and ramen noodles like most other broke med students. :confused:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Jamier2

Jamier2 SDN Hillbilly Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

From what I understand, each school works out a "budget" for you. My sources tell me you can borrow the difference between that amount and the amount of any scholarships / grants.

Good luck.

4. ckent

ckent Membership Revoked
    Removed

I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, I don't know whether or not you can get subsidized loans or not though. I just wanted to say congratulations if you do have a full scholarship to go to a medical school, most of us have to worry about tuition and books and fees taking a big chunk out of our loans.

5. ckent

ckent Membership Revoked
    Removed

I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, I don't know whether or not you can get subsidized loans or not though. I just wanted to say congratulations if you do have a full scholarship to go to a medical school, most of us have to worry about tuition and books and fees taking a big chunk out of our loans.

6. Homunculus

Homunculus SDN Caveman Administrator
    Moderator Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    At my school, the answer is a resounding YES. I am HPSP, so i have all my tuition, health ins, and books covered. I also get a little over 900 bucks (after taxes) as a stipend. That's nice, i thought, but i still have rent, car payments, car ins, etc. to pay. Our school also has a "budget" set for students as far as "extra" financial aid goes. That covers some more, and for me, it was enough. Well, lo and behold, this spring my wife blew her knee out and couldn't work. So, i sauntered into the finanical aid office, told our wonderful financial aid lady my troubles, she said "sign here", and within a week i had cold, hard cash... :) The only thing i had to do was fill out a form stating why i needed the money. I have talked to classmates (mainly parents with 2-3 kids) who have also taken out loans over the "budget"ed maximum, merely by filling out the before-mentioned form. I wouldn't sweat having enough money to live on. our financial aid person takes the approach that we have enough to worry about the way it is, without having to worry about money as well.. hope you have the same luck i did...

take it easy

homonculus

7. daverad

daverad Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

homonculus,

Thanks for the response. That takes a huge load off of my mind. Again, thanks alot.

8. twister

twister Member
    10+ Year Member

In discussions with my school's fin aid office, I also got the same response and attitude that homonucleus descibed. I have not seen this in person (I am an incoming M1), but the fin aid office has gotten positive feedback.
    If you want to check out your school, there's a website that posts feedback from graduating students, and also rates the various offices. I apologize for not knowing it, but the website address is posted somewhere on the SDN bb.