Financial Aid Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaptainPoopyPants

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have two questions about financial aid:
1. Will you know what type of financial aid package (including scholarships / grants) you'll be receiving prior to when you have to choose a school to commit to on AAMC?
2. If you have multiple acceptances, can you use that to improve your financial aid package? E.g., "I would love to accept your offer, but I received an offer from another school that is offering a better package. Is there anyway to compensate for the difference?"

I realize I have no acceptances in hand. Just wanting to gather as much information as possible. Thank you. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
1. Will you know what type of financial aid package (including scholarships / grants) you'll be receiving prior to when you have to choose a school to commit to on AAMC?
Yes (typically).
2. If you have multiple acceptances, can you use that to improve your financial aid package? E.g., "I would love to accept your offer, but I received an offer from another school that is offering a better package. Is there anyway to compensate for the difference?"
Yes. This will work at some schools. Other schools will say no, but they won't rescind your acceptance just for asking.

Reactions: 1 users
Schools arent obligated to give you financial aid information beforehand, so there could be situations where you’d have to decide without it.

Can you leverage? It depends. Schools like Harvard wouldnt care much that you get a giant scholarship from RFU or wherever.

Reactions: 1 user