Financial Aid Request Denied

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flushot

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received a letter from Sallie Mae, my lender for 09-10, and my request for loans in 10-11 have all been denied (all 3). I suspect that because of the new bill, all loans must go to the lender of the US Department of Education, so they had no choice but to deny me. Still, they couldn't give me a reason as to why I was denied. I sent in the request for loans back in February.

I was just curious if anyone has run into this situation already. I followed the school's directions in that I have to fill out 2 new MPNs for Stafford and PLUS loans (found here: https://studentloans.gov/ ), and since I did this roughly 5 days ago, I figured it took that long for Sallie Mae to find out.

I'm not really panicking but it sucks that they sent me this email and notice today when everything is closed and I can't resolve anything. Anyhow, I'll let you all know what happens. I'm sure I'm not alone in this problem, but I also hope I didn't miss anything when trying to make the transition.

Members don't see this ad.

It's my understanding that this is the standard protocol now that all loans are going through the government. At AZCOM we received some information about this and one of the things they mentioned was they you might receive denial letters from your initial lenders but to not worry about it. We also had to fill out new MPNs and that who thing.

Call your school's financial aid office for the direct skinny but I wouldn't worry about it.