financial aid/scholarship packages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SigurRos

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know when these things come out and what the process for applying for them is. I assume need based loans and grants are assessed via FAFSA. Are there typically any other forms to fill out? What about merit based scholarships? Any veterans able to answer this?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know when these things come out and what the process for applying for them is. I assume need based loans and grants are assessed via FAFSA. Are there typically any other forms to fill out? What about merit based scholarships? Any veterans able to answer this?

Typically it's just one form (FAFSA). Most schools HIGHLY recommend that you put your parent's info (thought it's not strictly required) becaus most people have $0 assets and they need a way to distinguish between people who really need the money.

Office of Financial Aid should be renamed into Office of Financial Traps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Will you guys also be holding multiple acceptances until financial aid information comes in? Seems reasonable to me, but I've been told that I'm selfish for screwing other people over to my own benefit. Since, of course, money has nothing to do with the decision to matriculate into a certain school...

Since, of course, money has nothing to do with the decision to matriculate into a certain school...

Bull****. :laugh:

Last year I went through the paperwork for 2 different schools.

I had to fill out the FAFSA of course - do it early. You can always add more schools later. Then I had to fill out a few supplemental forms for each school and both wanted my and my parents tax returns if I wanted to qualify for any "free money." Its not hard paperwork - just the usual that you probably already do for undergrad.

As far as actually receiving the packages - it varies by school. One of them I submitted in early February and received my package early May. The other I submitted late-March and received 2 days before school started in August. A lot of people in my class received theirs about the same time - as you can guess - not too many of us made our decision based on scholarships received.

Yes, money can be an important factor in deciding which school - but call the schools and see when they think they'll get your package to you or if they can get you an estimate. You CANNOT count on them getting the package to you in time to make a May 15th decision.