Financial Aid/Waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rocky6

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you're not a 100% sure about going to a school due to a couple waitlists, should you still accept that school's financial aid offer or wait it out to see what happens to the wailists?

Members don't see this ad.

If you're not a 100% sure about going to a school due to a couple waitlists, should you still accept that school's financial aid offer or wait it out to see what happens to the wailists?

As long as you're not signing any binding agreements, why not?

Members don't see this ad :)
Most of my financial aid offers, including scholarships, stated that acceptance did not imply a binding agreement. I think a lot of us are sitting on some and waiting for waitlists to start moving, so I wouldn't be concerned about getting stuck with anything unless otherwise stated.

However, if you don't accept, maybe you could be missing out on some aid that won't be available later?

Only decline fin aid if you're absolutely sure you won't be attending the school or if you know you and your family have the resources to cover you COA. If not, there is nothing wrong with accepting now and declining later. But there may be some problems down the line if you delay accepting the award past the deadline you were given. If you accept a school's financial aid, the award will be automatically canceled if you don't matriculate or later withdraw your acceptance.

send your FAFSA stuff to them anyway. can't hurt and you'll be on the ball should you be accepted.