1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

financial aid

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by spo0k, Mar 24, 2000.

1. spo0k

spo0k Junior Member

Not to beat a dead horse into the ground, but I'm looking into an ominous future. I am currently in paramedic school and intend on going pre-med next fall and I'm still trying to figure out where money is going to come from.

My question is this, I would really prefer not to work, or to work very part-time (weekends only) so that I can concentrate all of my effort on school, so I basically need to know how much student loans can accumulate, and how hard it is to pay them off during residency and far beyond.

I have also heard a rumor that the government forgives loans given to future physicians, and that many doctors simply do not pay them back, is there any truth to this?

<shrug> any help would be greatly appreciated, as I am both excited but also quite overwhelmed by what I'm getting myself into [​IMG]

spo0k

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. G.A. Oats

G.A. Oats Junior Member

I may be able to offer some info but I would need to know more about your situation to give you detailed directions. In general, it's best to go talk with a university financial aid advisor before you set off on any educational quest.

For now, let me make comments on the few things that you seem confused about.

1. It sounds like you are already in paramedic school. Probably part time work as paramedic/EMT while you do pre-med will give you experience and $$. Both are valuable to a poor, pre-med student.

2. There are indeed programs for medical students which offer to pay off a certain portion of their student loans if they sign a contract to basically work for little for some lengnth of time. The armed forces and Peace Corps, I think, offer such deals. You will have to compete for these offers. But, for now, you should worry about getting into med school first. Most doctors manage to pay off student loans during the first few years of their practice.

3. If you attend a university in a state where you are a resident and you are old enough to claim independent (23 yr old at least?) and you make poverty level income, you are most likely to get a sufficient financial aid package (grants + scholarships + student loans) to allow you to go to school full-time. Check in with an FA advisor.

Best luck to you,

G.A. Oats