. Deleted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deleted011111

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I hope I'm posting this in the right section, but I wanted to get some advice about the financial aspect of going to medical school. I am currently a rising senior in undergrad, and will graduate with a loan already of around 35k. I am planning on taking two years after I graduate to get more extracurriculars for my application (since I was stupid and did not do nearly enough in the last few years), and hopefully get a paid job that is clinical related. I was thinking of being a tech in the hospital I volunteer at for a year or two to help pay back this loan.

However, I know that medical school will probably cost around 80k/year for me (unless the 40k typical amount is per year and not per semester - I might be being stupid), and I'll probably come out with about 200-300k in debt, since my parents are not paying for any of the tuition. They may help me with living expenses, but we don't know yet. The debt really sounds scary to me, even if I'm coming out of residency making six figures. Having the undergrad loan that may or may not get paid off before medical school is just making it worse. I really want to apply to the cheapest medical schools, since money is high priority, but I obviously can't guarantee I'll get into a school with cheap out of state tuition.

Becoming a doctor is something I've become increasingly more passionate about in the last year, and I really want to go for it. But the financial burden really scares me, and I don't have a great chance of getting into medical school anyway (at least right now). I was wondering if it would make more sense for me to work as a biomedical engineer (my bachelor's degree) for like 5 years and living with my parents before trying for medical school, but I'd still need to make time for shadowing/extracurriculars. Does anyone think trying to go to medical school in general would be a bad decision for me, given my financial situation? Do medical schools ever give out any aid, or do you really have to be an excellent student for that? Are loan forgiveness things like working in "undesirable" areas actually a thing? Any advice is appreciated.
SDN Financial Aid Forum: Financial Aid
Finance and Investment Forum: Finance and Investment

Sadly $300k is not unusual at all. My folks couldn't help out either. But fortunately it's very manageable. If you end up in ortho spine, neurosurg, etc., $300k is a non-issue. It'll balloon even during residency, but specialties that pay that high can easily payoff that debt in 2-3 years if they don't buy a boat right away (and maybe even if they do). If you go into a lower paying specialty like me, it's still doable, but you have to go into attendinghood with lower expectations unless you want to be in debt your whole life.

First step: Read and subscribe to whitecoatinvestor.com articles/blogs. He has a "new to the blog" or "start here" or something like that for newcomers. Start thinking now about how to minimize/payoff your debt. If you can borrow $5k less each year, and still be comfortable enough, then that saves you $20k plus another $5-10k in interest. If I had known about WCI's website earlier, I think I could've borrowed less and started repaying a more significant amount as a resident. When you're in a lower-paying specialty like me (PM&R), it makes a more significant impact on your post-residency lifestyle.

"Comfortable enough" is a relative term. I knew some classmates with huge 2bd apartments downtown. If you're single, you should really be getting a studio or sharing a place with a roommate. Get a cheap, but not unsafe, place to live. If you don't have a car yet, live within biking distance of campus--the odds are you won't need a car regularly until M3. You'll probably need one occasionally up until then, but classmates/Uber can get you by. If you're not making those car/gas/insurance/parking payments, it can save you a lot. You will need a car anyway, so the reality is it just pushes your car purchase back two years, but if you buy a 2010 now vs a 2012 in M3, that's a newer/more reliable car you go into residency with. (Don't buy a clunker--you need something reliable in residency. Be thrifty-not cheap).

If you really want to be hardcore, check out mrmoneymoustache.com. That guy really knows how to be thrifty and save money. WCI argues he's a little more extreme on the lowering costs and not maximizing earnings as much as he could, but as a med student you have no earnings you can maximize, and you shouldn't choose your specialty on expected salary. The more comfortable you feel with your debt, the less pressured you'll feel to choose a specialty based on it.
How long does it take to pay it all back?

Reactions: 1 user