financial considerations for choosing state vs. private schools

osjx-82

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2004
Status
I'm a foreigner without a green card. Should I choose to go to a state school that doesn't grant financial aid to foreigners, or choose to go to a private school with more expensive tuition that does provide financial aid to foreigners?
For example, state school X's tuition is 25K per year, but it does not give financial aid. Private school Y's tuition is 32K per year, but it does give out financial aid to foreigners like me.
I guess it all depends on how much financial aid the school will provide. But I would like to know sort of a ballpark figure. Since I'm not an American, I don't have any national loans or aids to benefit from, so financial aid from the school itself is the only option for me. If anyone can help me out plz reply. thanks

Dr. Donkey

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2004
Status
Since no one replied to your post, I guess I will even though I'm not particularly well qualified.

Like you said, it depends on the particularities of the financial aid. The situation you're describing would come out pretty close between state school and private IF you have significant need for financial aid OR are an outstanding applicant and expect to get some grant money (I would think private schools have more merit scholarship money to give out). If the previous does not apply, the lower tuition at the state school is probably better.

Also, keep in mind the residency requirements of the state schools to qualify as an in state resident. Some schools have fairly strict definitions. Make sure you would qualify as in state before you start applying, otherwise the state school could easily be as much or more than the private school.

Larsitron

Mac Addict
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2005
Rochester, NY
Status
Medical Student
Not knowing all the specifics of your situation and being unable to predict the future, my gut would say the private school would be a better deal. Private schools will be able to shell out financial aid more freely than state schools in general and they'll feel freer to give money to someone who is an out of state (and out of country from what your post sounds like) resident.