financial help with premed and med?:

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mido1765

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I joined this forum a few days ago because i wanted to be a dentist, but after everyones help I decided med school is for me and not dental school. now im facing a worse situation (please take this serious). My dad got mad because i dont see them alot and he thinks im using him till i got to med school. im always in the library studying. i got a perfect gpa and im in great shape for med school (im very confident). but now the problem is he is kicking me out the house. i have no place to go and all im thinking is getting loans. the past 2 years been paid using financial aid. can i continue getting financial aid? plz can i get some opinions and stuff. that would really help.

thank you so much

** note, im a sophmore in biomedical sciences, didnt take mcat yet (but have everything ready to study).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys,
I joined this forum a few days ago because i wanted to be a dentist, but after everyones help I decided med school is for me and not dental school. now im facing a worse situation (please take this serious). My dad got mad because i dont see them alot and he thinks im using him till i got to med school. im always in the library studying. i got a perfect gpa and im in great shape for med school (im very confident). but now the problem is he is kicking me out the house. i have no place to go and all im thinking is getting loans. the past 2 years been paid using financial aid. can i continue getting financial aid? plz can i get some opinions and stuff. that would really help.

thank you so much

** note, im a sophmore in biomedical sciences, didnt take mcat yet (but have everything ready to study).

Wow I'm sorry for your unfortunate family situation and lack of support. :(As an undergrad, you should always have the option to take out additional federal loans while you are still in school. I would also consider applying for scholarships; there are plenty out there earmarked for undergrads.

If you qualified for financial aid before (and not loans) because you are economically disadvantaged, it stands to reason that you should still qualify for considerable aid once you are in medical school. I should let you know that a lot of medical schools, especially public schools, require you to submit information regarding your parental assets.

Wow I'm sorry for your unfortunate family situation and lack of support. :(As an undergrad, you should always have the option to take out additional federal loans while you are still in school. I would also consider applying for scholarships; there are plenty out there earmarked for undergrads.

If you qualified for financial aid before (and not loans) because you are economically disadvantaged, it stands to reason that you should still qualify for considerable aid once you are in medical school. I should let you know that a lot of medical schools, especially public schools, require you to submit information regarding your parental assets.

Thank you so much for your reply.
I didn't think of scholarships .. thank you for that. I will apply as soon as I can.

As for financial aid, I submitted next year's application already and it was accepted, so i guess i wont have to worry about it my junior year. The problem is senior year. I don't know how am i gonna pay for tuition if scholarships don't cover it all. also i don't know where to live next year - prob get a loan and pay for an apartment near school. After looking at the FASFA website, I am not labeled as independent unless i get married, or turn 24. so i cant really get financial aid my senior year. I am really worried about dropping out .. as i said i took care of my grades since high school and i sacrificed a lot to be in the position I'm in now (gradewise). IM not worried at all about getting accepted to med school because i think my application would be in great shape so I'm scared this all goes to waste.

also, we are not from US, so i dont have any relatives here. i only have an aunt in california (but she is not really supportive).

again thank you so much for replying.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for your reply.
I didn't think of scholarships .. thank you for that. I will apply as soon as I can.

As for financial aid, I submitted next year's application already and it was accepted, so i guess i wont have to worry about it my junior year. The problem is senior year. I don't know how am i gonna pay for tuition if scholarships don't cover it all. also i don't know where to live next year - prob get a loan and pay for an apartment near school. After looking at the FASFA website, I am not labeled as independent unless i get married, or turn 24. so i cant really get financial aid my senior year. I am really worried about dropping out .. as i said i took care of my grades since high school and i sacrificed a lot to be in the position I'm in now (gradewise). IM not worried at all about getting accepted to med school because i think my application would be in great shape so I'm scared this all goes to waste.

also, we are not from US, so i dont have any relatives here. i only have an aunt in california (but she is not really supportive).

again thank you so much for replying.

Why do you think you won't get aid in your senior year? If you're getting it now then that is unlikely to change. You're going to college, if housing is a problem then find a cheap room to rent, you don't need a whole apartment to yourself if you're broke.

just out of curiosity, what country are you from?

Why do you think you won't get aid in your senior year? If you're getting it now then that is unlikely to change. You're going to college, if housing is a problem then find a cheap room to rent, you don't need a whole apartment to yourself if you're broke.

just out of curiosity, what country are you from?

Well financial aid is based on your parent's income right? for dependent students. since im kicked out and they are going back to Egypt (where I m from), I cannot put their tax info, assets, etc. so i don't know how am i getting financial aid?

http://www.fastweb.com/financial-aid/articles/699-fafsa-and-the-independent-student <-- this is where i got the financial aid info

Schedule an appointment with the financial aid office at your university. Come prepared with all of the facts (household income, etc, etc) and see what they say. Some FA offices will work with you to help you finance school, and some will tell you to find alternative sources of loans. You need to figure out where you stand and asking on an online forum isn't going to help much!

Are you a US citizen? That will certainly affect what types of loans you can get.

Well financial aid is based on your parent's income right? for dependent students. since im kicked out and they are going back to Egypt (where I m from), I cannot put their tax info, assets, etc. so i don't know how am i getting financial aid?

http://www.fastweb.com/financial-aid/articles/699-fafsa-and-the-independent-student <-- this is where i got the financial aid info

If you got financial aid for freshman, sophomore, and junior years, you will most likely get it for senior year.

Yes, as a dependent student you are required to provide parental information on your FAFSA. You already have financial aid for junior year so you don't have to worry about that just yet.

You will have to apply for financial aid for your senior year in the spring of your junior year. You have about 1 year before you need to worry about that. If you think that one year from now you will be living on your own and your family will be out living in Egypt and not have any contact with you, then you can speak to your financial aid office. They have paperwork and such that you can fill out for these types of circumstances.

Found this on the FAFSA site:

I am considered a dependent student; however, I have no contact with my parents. What do I do about reporting my parents' income?
In unusual cases:
A financial aid administrator can determine that a student who doesn't meet the above criteria should be treated as an independent student.
The financial aid administrator can change your dependency status from dependent to independent based on adequate documentation of your special circumstances.
You must provide this documentation to the financial aid office at your school.
The financial aid administrator cannot automatically change your status simply because you request it.
The decision is based on the financial aid administrator's judgment of the facts of your situation and is final.
You cannot appeal that decision to us.
Independent students report their own income and assets (and those of a spouse, if married).

Thank you all sooo much for taking care of my problem. thank you ohshxtsaty for looking around the fasfa website, you really made my day. I will write down questions and will go to the financial aid advisor to see what they offer and also will try to get independent status so i can get financial aid senior year. I will keep you guys posted and write a guide through my experience as pay back to this wonderful community so it can help others who go through the same situation.

again i appreciate all your help, and i hope this doesn't happen to anyone else.

** also, I came online because i got kicked out 5-6 hours ago, so i don't know anyone else to turn to except this forum.