financial info in SOP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elphaba

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys --

I'm in the process of applying to clinical PhD programs right now and am currently finishing up my personal statements. For one of my schools (which asks five separate questions rather than asking for a single SOP essay), the final question asks for "information on your financial status that would help us in allocating financial aid."

I'm not entirely sure how to answer this question.... in reality, I'm broke and will not be attending a program without significant financial assistance (assistanship + at least partial tuition waiver), but do I say that in my answer? (Reworded, obviously...) Part of me is worried about sounding "demanding," but I obviously also want to be fully considered for any and all financial aid. Is that all the information they're looking for, or should I also say something about my current job, expenses, and so forth?

Any insight on how to answer a question like this would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Be totally honest. If they want you badly enough, they will provide the support you need to thrive in the grad school environment. The last thing you want is to be accepted under false pretenses and be struggling to pay your rent and put food on your table for 5 years. A doctoral program a huge investment in terms of time and talent, getting in is only the first step. If I were you, I would seriously consider what the financial repercussions of taking out large amounts of student loans will mean for your future. If you can't pay for it, tell them, and let them provide the money to support you.

I would call or email the dept coordinator actually to ask before you say anything. When I checked about the one program that I applied to that asked about that (I honestly don't remember which it was), I was told to ignore it because clinical psych PhDs were guaranteed funding and that it wasn't need-based, but was on the app because of masters students or something. If they do in fact want it, at least they can give you a clearer idea of what they are looking for. I'm sure others have asked before.