***Financial Package Awards***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYyanx28

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured we could post on here when we receive the financial package awards from various schools seeing as we are already at the end of March. Hopefully I will get Penn St/SUNY Upstate/SUNY Downstate soon!

Members don't see this ad.

I chose downstate simply because those other two waitlisted me.

Best,
dave

I got my award from UChicago a few days ago. No word from NYU yet...

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard of people receiving their financial aid award, and then lobbying for more grant money, etc. I was wondering who you would talk to, and how you would make such a request, if anyone knows??? :confused:

I chose downstate simply because those other two waitlisted me.

Best,
dave

I'm pretty much headed to Penn State, but want to hold on to the I.S. schools incase I can't get everything at PSU covered by loans.

I'm pretty much headed to Penn State, but want to hold on to the I.S. schools incase I can't get everything at PSU covered by loans.

you can always get your total cost of attendance covered by loans. As long as you don't have horrible credit you can borrow Grad PLUS loans up to the cost of attendance (- other financial aid received).

Who is awaiting school grants? That's not something the avg applicant should really hope for right?

my gf got SUNY Upstate's financial aid award letter today. I called Downstate.. they said end of march/beginning of april (I'm betting beginning/middle april).

Who is awaiting school grants? That's not something the avg applicant should really hope for right?

I personally was referring to need-based grants, as part of financial aid applications. I'm not too familiar with fin aid in general, but thought these were a part (albeit small) of financial aid packages.

Any news on when Stony Brook sends out financial aid packages/packets?

I personally was referring to need-based grants, as part of financial aid applications. I'm not too familiar with fin aid in general, but thought these were a part (albeit small) of financial aid packages.

Need based grants can absolutely be expected depending on your school and your finances. If you/your parents don't make much, you will have high need. Some schools give loans for all your need. Other schools break it up between loans/grants based on their own formulas. If your parents make a lot, you won't get any aid, and will have to take out all loans. The worst debt comes when students have rich parents who don't help them out.

For example, no particular school or person, just an illustration:

Cost of attendance = $60,000
--------------------------------
Family contribution = $15,000 (translates to Grad PLUS loans if parents don't help)
School loan package = $25,000 (Staffords/Perkins/Sub/Unsub)
Grant = $20,000

Thus you would take $40k in loans yearly, for a total of $160k. Much better than total cost of attendance which would be $240k.

This situation only exists if a school has money to give. Schools like Cornell and Sinai told me grants exists. While USC sent me their finaid package and confirmed that they didn't have grants.

I got SUNY Upstate's award yesterday... $37,966 all in loans...

Hopefully Penn St(First choice) will give me some grants?! please?!

for those of u who received award letters already...

is it just a letter stating how much u'll be getting in loans and/or grants?

or is it more of a "here's what we can offer u, please look it over, take what u need, u have the right to turn down portions of our offer as u deem appropriate, and sign and return the form to us" type letter?