1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Financial support

Discussion in 'International Dental' started by Blue_eyes, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Haii,
    I want to know the possibilty to loans in case if i get admission to any dental school, I am H4 visa and my husband on H1B. We have recently applied for green card, we will get EAD soon. But to get the green card it may take couple of years or so. In this condition if i get admission whether my husaband will be able to co sign for the loan... and also most of the university ask us for the source of finance at the time of application it self...what do with this..I will gretaly apprecite if you help me out with this

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Any one wants to share their experience!!!!!!

4. g3k

g3k SDN Donor
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    You may want to call the schools to know more. As much as I know, you have to be a green card holder or citizen to co-sign loans.

5. BDS-DMD

BDS-DMD Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

For a PR to co-sign a loan, he will have to have a minimum of excellent crediot history for 2 years. Whether this has to be 2 years after getting the GC or not is something that only the banks can tell you themseleves.

Once you get the GC you will be eligible for Fed loan which does not need a co-signer and is quite a big amount. You may need to take a small private loan to cover the gap.

6. Aspita

Aspita Member
    5+ Year Member

I know some schools, once you are accepted will co sign for you. Find out about this at the schools you're applying to. I know the school that I aplyed to will do that, 'cause my credit is not so good either.

7. BDS-DMD

BDS-DMD Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

This is the first time I am hearing about this. Please tell us which schools and the process to do that. I am sure a lot of people will benefit from this info.

Thanks

8. Aspita

Aspita Member
    5+ Year Member

this is what I got from their website: Am I misunderstanding? :confused:

Participants in the International Dentist Program are not classified as UIC degree candidates. While you are considered non-degree students in the College of Dentistry, you will not be eligible for guaranteed institutional or federal student aid programs. You may qualify for alternative loan programs--TERI, Key Bank, etc.--once you have been accepted. Alternative loan applications will be co-signed by the College but must be individually arranged and are not guaranteed

9. BDS-DMD

BDS-DMD Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

That explains it. This is at UIC. As far as I know they accept only Permanent Residents. So all the people on H-4 and F-1 visas cannot avail of this.

Thanks for the info though.

10. dentusa_2005

dentusa_2005 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Thank you very much.....