worknhard

5+ Year Member
May 19, 2012
Status
Dental Student
I graduated this year and have started a 1 year AEGD. With student loans of roughly 450K$ beginning this winter, I am regretting that I did not pursue a military scholarship BEFORE dental school. No going back though. I am wondering now whether there is any reason (financially) to consider the military. From what I have read about bonuses, pay and loan reimbursement, I don't think the math works out compared to private/corporate practice but maybe there is something I'm missing. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

InformMe123

5+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2013
Status
Well, maybe if you work with the military for ten years then you may get the loans forgiven but its not for certain i think

Big Time Hoosier

Man. Myth. Legend.
2+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2015
USA! USA! USA!
Status
Dentist
Well, maybe if you work with the military for ten years then you may get the loans forgiven but its not for certain i think
Don't count on PSLF. It's going to cost A LOT more than originally projected, so drastic changes will have to be made to the program. The cohort up for forgiveness working at nonprofits are already facing an uncertain future.

New Fears For Public Service Loan Forgiveness

Big Hoss

About the Ads

SigmaFS

5+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2014
www.facebook.com
If you haven't entered REPAYE yet, you're probably making a mistake. You've gotta mitigate the interest accrual. At $450k @ 6.5%, you are accruing about $80/day during any non-payment period.

About the Ads