Financialaid Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hhhsmath06

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have a few questions for you guys about how to finance POD school:
1. I am looking to start POD school in Fall 2009, when should I fill out the FAFSA
2. Will there be any possible federal funding besides loans (grants, scholarhips) for filling out the FAFSA depending on the individual's financial circumstances
3. How much will scholarships normally cover as part of the total cost of attendence for someone with 26 mcat and a 3.8 gpr?
4. Is there any other sources to get scholarships besides the "automatic first yr scholarships" the school gives to first yr students based on their mcat and gpr?

thank you for your time guys!

sincerely

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,
I have a few questions for you guys about how to finance POD school:
1. I am looking to start POD school in Fall 2009, when should I fill out the FAFSA
2. Will there be any possible federal funding besides loans (grants, scholarhips) for filling out the FAFSA depending on the individual's financial circumstances
3. How much will scholarships normally cover as part of the total cost of attendence for someone with 26 mcat and a 3.8 gpr?
4. Is there any other sources to get scholarships besides the "automatic first yr scholarships" the school gives to first yr students based on their mcat and gpr?

thank you for your time guys!

sincerely

1) ASAP after Jan 1 2009 after you get your parents W-2s you can fill it out.
2) Depends on the school
3) Depends on the school again, I'm going to CSPM in oakland and for me (24 and 3.77) my MCAT was 1 point shy of 12500 a year for four years but i got 7500 a year for 4 years so youd get the bigger one (YAY). lets see, arizona offered like 1000 a year for 4 years or maybe just 1 year and um DMU offered me 3000 a year for either the 1st year or for 4 years. so thats somewhat of a scope...
4) no idea call the schools ;)

hope i helped some and best of luck!

ps come to cali its the best:banana:

1. not sure
2. I believe that you can fill out your parent's income and can qualify for federal loans/scholarships (besides the normal cost of attendance loan) based on their income.
3. You would get 10,000 at OCPM but the scholarship money here and elsewhere is running out fast so better get a move on that application.
4. Google search something along the lines of "podiatry scholarships [insert your state here]". I searched for my state and found one that gives 10,000 for a first year student! This is not the norm but I'm sure you could find something else out there that is from a local pod, community organization, etc. Also try Fastweb.com. There are many scholarships offered after the first year, just look at the school's websites and don't forget about loan repayment options (working in impoverished areas after grad). It's not the same as a scholarship but every little bit counts!

Members don't see this ad :)
1) ASAP after Jan 1 2009 after you get your parents W-2s you can fill it out.
2) Depends on the school
3) Depends on the school again, I'm going to CSPM in oakland and for me (24 and 3.77) my MCAT was 1 point shy of 12500 a year for four years but i got 7500 a year for 4 years so youd get the bigger one (YAY). lets see, arizona offered like 1000 a year for 4 years or maybe just 1 year and um DMU offered me 3000 a year for either the 1st year or for 4 years. so thats somewhat of a scope...
4) no idea call the schools ;)

hope i helped some and best of luck!

ps come to cali its the best:banana:

thank you so much for the info, actually cali is one of my top choices, the downside is the total cost of attendance. Even with 12500/yr it will still be tough for me because i've heard that the total cost of attendance is about 60k/yr over there...

1. not sure
2. I believe that you can fill out your parent's income and can qualify for federal loans/scholarships (besides the normal cost of attendance loan) based on their income.
3. You would get 10,000 at OCPM but the scholarship money here and elsewhere is running out fast so better get a move on that application.
4. Google search something along the lines of "podiatry scholarships [insert your state here]". I searched for my state and found one that gives 10,000 for a first year student! This is not the norm but I'm sure you could find something else out there that is from a local pod, community organization, etc. Also try Fastweb.com. There are many scholarships offered after the first year, just look at the school's websites and don't forget about loan repayment options (working in impoverished areas after grad). It's not the same as a scholarship but every little bit counts!

thank you, most of my interview dates are in mid-late january, hopefully the funds won't run out when i interview...*sigh*, can't deny the fact that money is a big factor...sad

thank you so much for the info, actually cali is one of my top choices, the downside is the total cost of attendance. Even with 12500/yr it will still be tough for me because i've heard that the total cost of attendance is about 60k/yr over there...

well 12500 is nice if you get it time they only have 10 to give out i think but yeah its like 63K a year haha but i look at is as a premium for living in such an amazing place with everything youd ever think of to do...unless your idea of fun is hot desert or cold/corn lol but yeah i wonder that other guy said something about finding a scholarship like "[insert your state here]" woul that be the state your going to school in or your state of residence?:luck:

well 12500 is nice if you get it time they only have 10 to give out i think but yeah its like 63K a year haha but i look at is as a premium for living in such an amazing place with everything youd ever think of to do...unless your idea of fun is hot desert or cold/corn lol but yeah i wonder that other guy said something about finding a scholarship like "[insert your state here]" woul that be the state your going to school in or your state of residence?:luck:

lol, is there lots of asian in oakland? my interview is on feb 4th...hopefully the fund will still be there...:)

lol, is there lots of asian in oakland? my interview is on feb 4th...hopefully the fund will still be there...:)

I think CSPM is the pod school with biggest proportion of asians. I believe Oakland has some, but you can take the BART to san fran if you want a large asian population.

hey I'm not a guy! But the residence would depend on the specific scholarship I guess. One of the ones I found said you had to be a resident of that state (actually its from the county I currently live in) for 5 years AND you have to prove it with voter ID cards, drivers license, etc. Boo. The other just required you to live in the state and that one has a deadline of next November so you could probably apply if you were a student in that state (PA). There are plenty others that aren't related to podiatry or your residence, you just have to look.

And I completely agree hhhsmath...money will be a big factor for me as well. You should look into loan repayment for serious. The finance lady at OCPM was telling us that if you promise/sign your life away to a impoverished area in some state (see used NC as an example) that they would repay some of your loan debt. If you don't work there for the specified time in the contract, like 10 years or so, you will have huge amounts of interest to pay back to them. I'm not sure the exact details, maybe you could ask during your interviews!