Iwantmydds

10+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I know there was a thread about which schools pay your med school tuition, but my topic is slightly different. It seems to me that if you pursue 6year OMFS program after dental school, financial breakdown could happen just because you will be paid minumum during ur residency AND you are responsible for med school tuition. So until about 32, you do not have any money saved in your bank compared to your friends who went straight to work after college. 6 year OMFS seems like an enormous commitment to learning and sacrifice to your lifestyle. So my question is....

for those of you who are currently/or going to be in 6 year OMFS programs, how do you plan to finance your life until you are done with the program?

Iwantmydds

10+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
yeah...similar idea came across to me right when I wrote this thread...marrying a rich girl. Though it's superfical, it WILL solve the problem haha.

About the Ads

Count Orlok

Octagonecologyst
10+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
If you got a cheeseburger and $5 bucks every time your attendings pimped you out, like in real life, then you would never have to worry about money.

servitup

10+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Your only other choice is to live frugally and borrow as little as possible. Avoid schools w/ expensive tuition unless that is the only place you can get in. Treat the med school decision like dental school and go to the cheapest one with the best program. I ranked the 5 schools with free or cheap tuition ahead of the others on my list because none of my lower ranked programs were good enough to justify an extra $50,000 of debt.

I thought of it this way: If someone offered me $50,000 cash to choose one of these cheap schools, what would I say? Luckily I got my top choice w/ FREE tuition (though Kushner told us that could change at any time).

shabu2

10+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2004
Jerzzzzzz
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
you could.....

Attachments

• FullMoonb.jpg
    FullMoonb.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 39
  • images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    2.1 KB · Views: 38

OMSHopeful09

10+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Does any body know a good estimate for the amount of debt that would likely to be incurred during the course of a 6-year OMS residency? I know the number will vary quite a bit between different residency programs and will depend on many variables like if you have a family or not, etc. I am just interested in hearing some different figures to get an idea of the range of possibilities out there.

Yahtzee

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I don't know what's typical, but I imagine I'm somewhere on the high end. I expect to be at around $500,000 by the end of my residency what with undergrad, DS, MS and accrued interest. Plus, I think somewhere along the line I ended up owing my soul to the devil.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.