Financing for US citizen in Australia Med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Med201821

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings SDN peers,

This forum has been a fountain of useful information through out my pursuit of a medical school acceptance. I am attending an Australian program in January 2018 and was curious to see how others from the states had financed their education. I do not need loans for the first year. Really great saver here. But I decided to start shopping for loans with the thought process that I will start with loans and finish with my savings. The fear of not being able to get a loan after I used up my savings paying for the first half really got me thinking as to what the best approach should be.

So for those of you who are in the midst of your medical school career now please share with me how you did your financing. I've gone to two banks now and one ceased doing student loans. Probably smart on their part. The other only provided loans for US schools. I feel like Sallie Mae may be my only option.

Members don't see this ad.

Greetings SDN peers,

This forum has been a fountain of useful information through out my pursuit of a medical school acceptance. I am attending an Australian program in January 2018 and was curious to see how others from the states had financed their education. I do not need loans for the first year. Really great saver here. But I decided to start shopping for loans with the thought process that I will start with loans and finish with my savings. The fear of not being able to get a loan after I used up my savings paying for the first half really got me thinking as to what the best approach should be.

So for those of you who are in the midst of your medical school career now please share with me how you did your financing. I've gone to two banks now and one ceased doing student loans. Probably smart on their part. The other only provided loans for US schools. I feel like Sallie Mae may be my only option.
If the school accepts the government student loans, you can just use both your grad plus and regular unsubsidized loans (if you have any unsub left from undergrad).

If the school accepts the government student loans, you can just use both your grad plus and regular unsubsidized loans (if you have any unsub left from undergrad).

I didn't think gov student loans would be an option. I did not use any loans for undergrad so hopefully this won't be too difficult to finance. Thanks for your input. Are you in Aus studying?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was, I'm back in the US now.

Awesome man! So you did four years there and transitioned back? Any troubles matching? What state are you at and what did you match into if you don't mind me asking.

Also how possible is it to set it up so that you can do most of your rotations stateside? Did you do rotations stateside? I know its likely dependent school by school. Which one did you attend by the way?

Man that is a lot of questions. Sorry but I have not had too many opportunities to communicate with people on a similar path as mine.

Edit: Ok I see you are a UQ student. So last two years were stateside then. I am going to UOW.

Last edited:
Yeah, I am in New Orleans. Our match this year was 95%. We do all of our rotations except one in the US (one has to be done back in Australia to meet the requirements). I was supposed to interview at UOW but the scheduling never matched up. The first one I had to reschedule, the 2nd one they had an emergency with their interviewer, and then the third I ended up canceling after I decided I wanted to try and stay in the US. I hear UOW is awesome though. I am pretty sure they take US student loans; that was my only concern when I was applying to schools. At the time Sydney was iffy if they were going to be able to get them so I ended up not applying there.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, I am in New Orleans. Our match this year was 95%. We do all of our rotations except one in the US (one has to be done back in Australia to meet the requirements). I was supposed to interview at UOW but the scheduling never matched up. The first one I had to reschedule, the 2nd one they had an emergency with their interviewer, and then the third I ended up canceling after I decided I wanted to try and stay in the US. I hear UOW is awesome though. I am pretty sure they take US student loans; that was my only concern when I was applying to schools. At the time Sydney was iffy if they were going to be able to get them so I ended up not applying there.

I am going to UOW next January. I was thinking about applying to Queensland still because of the US pathway but that school cost significantly more. Their tuition is roughly 260 000 USD not including housing/ food I believe. UOW is 31000 AUD roughly which translates to 180,00 USD for four years. Could I still elect to do all but one rotation in the USA is or is that just a queensland thing. I already found another thread on here that lists places that allow international students to do rotations and considering I am citizen that should make it easier provided I perform and pass the step 1. I am hoping the school does not require me to do a significant portion in Australia. By the way did you enjoy Australia, must have been a tremendous experience. If you could go back would you do a US school or still have gone AUS.

Last edited:
I am going to UOW next January. I was thinking about applying to Queensland still because of the US pathway but that school cost significantly more. Their tuition is roughly 260 000 USD not including housing/ food I believe. UOW is 31000 AUD roughly which translates to 180,00 USD for four years. Could I still elect to do all but one rotation in the USA is or is that just a queensland thing. I already found another thread on here that lists places that allow international students to do rotations and considering I am citizen that should make it easier provided I perform and pass the step 1. I am hoping the school does not require me to do a significant portion in Australia. By the way did you enjoy Australia, must have been a tremendous experience. If you could go back would you do a US school or still have gone AUS.
You would have to check with hospitals here to see if they would accept you for away rotations. If you are going to UOW I would suggest doing rotations in NSW since you will be applying for positions there. I think as a student of UOW you are basically committing to 4 years in Australia, and then applying for a job in Australia as well. You can take Step1/2 but without rotations in the US it is more difficult to return. The UQ program is unique because it allows internationals from UQ to come here as well as the Ochsner students who come back and finish their 2 years here. The UQ domestic/international students only do 1-2 aways here at Ochsner though.

So..hmm..
It's tough to be a premed and face the decisions that you have.
there's a lot going on, and you're still very far from say applying to residency. It's a hard ask to look ahead that far.

I agree with what Sean80439 is saying, completely.
Yes the tuition is higher at UQO. But you are paying for the privilege of having guaranteed rotations in the US in 3rd and 4th year in one hospital system. I would not underestimate the value of this if you're wanting to return to the US, via Australia. UQO generally also makes an effort to help you arrange away rotations or SubI electives at other American hospitals and schools, they have the connections to do that. That's if you are one of their own and they know you. UQO staff is American. At every other Australian school there is no similar connection to an American site and all staff are Australian (most will have never worked in the US and have no concept of how rotations work there or what the steps are).

Additionally, many Australian schools are restrictive. It's not just a QLD thing. In that you can only do a maximum of say 1-2 rotations outside of their home hospitals. Or you have only set number of weeks and it has to be under their dictated time frames - imagine selling that to a school in another country with it's own system. one argument for this is that residency program directors start to doubt the quality of students that need to take the majority of their rotations away from their home base. Most Australian schools will prefer or make you do core rotations with them. you have to be careful about clarifying this with schools you apply to. many will say oh yea, you can do away rotations, but they often have fine print attached. "Core rotations" in Australian schools can also have a different meaning and be ordered differently.

Also - you have to pay fees to all these other away schools for the privilege of having a elective with them and they will not subsidize airfare or accommodation for you. So, it's dropping a couple of grand per rotation you take. Factor in competition from students in the Carribbean, Poland, Ireland etc. I've lost track of the number of stories over students who have had a lot of trouble arranging away rotations in the US (with the exception of UQO students). Medicolegal insurance is another thing you may have to pay for.

If you're hoping to 'not spend a significant portion of time in Australia', I'm not sure that UOW is the best 'fit' for you. UQO is built for exactly that statement. But if money is your priority, then fair enough. (seriously. we'd all like to be in less debt). It's not impossible to match coming from UOW, I'm sure. But you may be setting yourself up for extra work and frustration to get the same outcome.

Anyway, if you're still decided on UOW at least be very careful and do your due diligence. Ask questions. They owe you that much for what you're going to be paying them. Do not wait until you get there or the moment you need something - like your away rotations. You don't have to start planning for things early, but you need to ask the right questions.

N.b. I'm getting rusty with this stuff the farther away I get from med school. Current students would be far more useful to offer advice. :)

Last edited:
Govt student option will be great if you have saving invest them and that will take care of the loan amount

So..hmm..
It's tough to be a premed and face the decisions that you have.
there's a lot going on, and you're still very far from say applying to residency. It's a hard ask to look ahead that far.

I agree with what Sean80439 is saying, completely.
Yes the tuition is higher at UQO. But you are paying for the privilege of having guaranteed rotations in the US in 3rd and 4th year in one hospital system. I would not underestimate the value of this if you're wanting to return to the US, via Australia. UQO generally also makes an effort to help you arrange away rotations or SubI electives at other American hospitals and schools, they have the connections to do that. That's if you are one of their own and they know you. UQO staff is American. At every other Australian school there is no similar connection to an American site and all staff are Australian (most will have never worked in the US and have no concept of how rotations work there or what the steps are).

Additionally, many Australian schools are restrictive. It's not just a QLD thing. In that you can only do a maximum of say 1-2 rotations outside of their home hospitals. Or you have only set number of weeks and it has to be under their dictated time frames - imagine selling that to a school in another country with it's own system. one argument for this is that residency program directors start to doubt the quality of students that need to take the majority of their rotations away from their home base. Most Australian schools will prefer or make you do core rotations with them. you have to be careful about clarifying this with schools you apply to. many will say oh yea, you can do away rotations, but they often have fine print attached. "Core rotations" in Australian schools can also have a different meaning and be ordered differently.

Also - you have to pay fees to all these other away schools for the privilege of having a elective with them and they will not subsidize airfare or accommodation for you. So, it's dropping a couple of grand per rotation you take. Factor in competition from students in the Carribbean, Poland, Ireland etc. I've lost track of the number of stories over students who have had a lot of trouble arranging away rotations in the US (with the exception of UQO students). Medicolegal insurance is another thing you may have to pay for.

If you're hoping to 'not spend a significant portion of time in Australia', I'm not sure that UOW is the best 'fit' for you. UQO is built for exactly that statement. But if money is your priority, then fair enough. (seriously. we'd all like to be in less debt). It's not impossible to match coming from UOW, I'm sure. But you may be setting yourself up for extra work and frustration to get the same outcome.

Anyway, if you're still decided on UOW at least be very careful and do your due diligence. Ask questions. They owe you that much for what you're going to be paying them. Do not wait until you get there or the moment you need something - like your away rotations. You don't have to start planning for things early, but you need to ask the right questions.

N.b. I'm getting rusty with this stuff the farther away I get from med school. Current students would be far more useful to offer advice. :)

Hey Domperidone,

I appreciate the response. You are absolutely right it is a bit difficult to think ahead that far this early but unfortunately I have to due to the path I am taking. If I have to end up staying in Australia to practice then I will. But if I can make it back, which I believe I can, then I am going to do all I can to come back. I might not have the luxury of being very selective in what specialty/residency I am able to get into but its a sacrifice I am willing to make considering I really never thought this reality would ever materialize for me. I am several years out of undergrad working in a fairly lucrative position within Bio pharm manufacturing for one the pharma giants out there. Its a great gig but I know life has more in store for me and med school had always been a dream of mine I just thought myself incapable of making it so I never made an earnest effort to go for it.

I am aware of the fees for electives taken with different programs. That is a small price to pay if it will get my foot in the door. It is a difficult journey for me having to figuring out how this whole process works but I am sure I am neither the first nor the last who has had to learn and figure this out on the fly. Your certainly right I don't believe UOW is the best fit for me for that reason. I started an application with Queensland but I have already paid first semester dues to UOW and I do not trust them to refund me my tuition. I was in a position where I could hold off on paying and risk losing my spot to see if Queensland accepts me and run risk of not getting either. The plan is to apply to Queensland and if accepted see if UOW will refund my tuition and if so then go to Queensland. I hate to do that after already committing to UOW but it is my future and a huge debt I am going to take on. While Queensland offers a better route back to the states I do dislike the large class size which is absolutely a stark contrast to the small class size of UOW. I feel I would learn more efficiently in the smaller setting which would make UOW a better choice despite the lack of rotations stateside. Such a dilemma.

But to be honest I am really trying to take this journey one day at a time otherwise it can seem very daunting and overwhelming. I like to remind myself regardless of these "small" details I am still getting the opportunity to study medicine in a fantastic university. I should try to enjoy the process and the journey as much as I can. I know that sounds insane but if I don't at least try and maintain this outlook I am likely to become disillusioned with why I am pursuing this.

Again thanks for the response. I really appreciate it.

The best advice I can give you is determine where you want to practice, and then prioritize that. UOW is great because international students in NSW have no issues getting internship spots at desirable locations. QLD tends to fare much worse in that regard for 4yr traditional internationals. If you want to come back to the US/practice in the US, then I would suggest Ochsner as their entire program is dedicated to getting us matched in the US system. Even as a 4yr traditional international student, you can do a rotation here in the US during your 4th year (your options are surg spec, med spec, or crit care). That option is open due to UQO students having to return to do a rotation in Australia.

So..

Regarding internships in Australia in NSW:
- it may get increasingly difficult
- as class sizes increase and international ones are going up, internship numbers aren't necessarily
- there's a number of NSW grads each year that end up working under the federally funded Commonwealth Medical Internship program (the internship of last resort if you don't match into a state internship stream) and the majority of these CMI positions are in QLD. only 4 each year are in NSW.
- the VISA situation currently only allows you to work potentially up to 4-5 years after graduation, which isn't enough to finish your training or "residency" in Australia - it may change as this only became a thing in late April (welcome to the Trump protectionist era, as it influences other countries), and it was very sudden, given the backlash from other sectors, may be things could change further. who really knows. a lot can happen in the 4 years you decide to go to Australia.
- as for this idea:
If I have to end up staying in Australia to practice then I will.
, to put it harshly (to make you aware) - many Australian hospitals don't want to hear that they're your back-up, while they understand you wish to go home. they would rather hire those who are not applying anywhere except their hospital. you'll have to be very careful about how you 'sell' or portray yourself as you go through medical school and approach Australian hospitals. never tell them that. for some hospitals it's become an interview screening questions for North american background students. "Are you applying home? have you done the board exams?"
- I disagree that UQ traditional students have a harder time finding internship positions in Australia compared to NSW (but some students do make a bigger deal out of it), regardless, everyone's going to be affected by that VISA change if it stays as is - particularly those in "desirable locations" because of training bottlenecks.

For returning to the USA:
- again - what Sean said.
- it's not too late to apply for UQ Ochsner, and the US arm to this wants you to stay and apply for residency in the US and will give you support that no other medical school in Australia can give. they're connected to their own American hospital system.

UQ traditional program:
- has pros and cons
- again it is not built for sending grads into residency programs outside of Australia, as much as the Australian staff at UQ would like to think so
- yes, it has a good match rate to US, but there is a skew to it in that not everyone in the cohort actually decides to take board exams to go back
- bottom of the class will not even attempt to apply home
- core rotations in UQ doesn't carry the same meaning as core in the US
- also while UQO students do peds and obgyn as 3rd years, UQ traditional have to do it as 4th years. they never make any exceptions - so it would not be an ideal choice for anyone interested in peds or obgyn in North America (it has no affect on you if you want to pursue these fields in Australia)
- the pro that UQ traditional has over other Australian schools is that it still has a connection to Ochsner in LA via UQO
- so, if you're a US citizen, in past years, they will try to ensure that you get first dibs over any *correction - UQ traditional student (australia or other international) for ochsner rotations when you go to apply (they also make it really easy for you to get that rotation, there's no hoops to jump through)
- that said, most 3rd year rotations are unavailable as UQO students need to do their core terms first, hence why what Sean's saying is true, you can only do rotations in 4th year (but you can try for 3rd year - your citizenship may help, but it would be unlikely)
- UQ traditional - may or may not let you choose your own rotation schedule, you may not get to preference your rotation order (this has changed a number of times over the last several years, it used to be that you could choose, then they decided you just get whatever they give you, i have no idea what the latest iteration is) - this will affect you in terms of getting your electives or SubIs done in time to get LORs for the match (that said, it's not like US domestic students don't struggle with this either) - they have it set up that you can only apply for UQO after you get a rotation schedule
-- one lee way with this is that you can try to swap rotation order/schedules with another student
- UQ is restrictive in that you can only do a maximum of 2 rotations and your elective term in 4th year outside of Brisbane
- you must also maintain a minimum cGPA when you go to apply for away rotations (something like..the equivalent of 65% or 2.60 GPA which is more than reasonable)
- if this is a lot to take in, you're not alone many 2nd year medical students have trouble wrapping their heads around this
- that's UQ, have you discussed things in detail with UOW?

small learning settings:
- it's been discussed in other threads
- for the preclinical years at UQ: they split you up into small "tutorial" or CBL groups of 10-12, and they will make sure that all your tutorials lines up so that you're always with this small crowd
- you'll also have swipe access to your own study room where your CBLs will be run in with medical textbooks to use
- lectures are like lectures anywhere else
- it is however, still a large school. admin is slow. some courses are actually 1 instructor v.s. 550 or 600 whatever the number is now (forget getting an email response in a week..more like a month)
- you can feel lost in the system occasionally (you won't in your CBL)
- if you can get through the pre-clinical years..it's always going to be a 'small class' setting on rotations, but that's another can of worms

It's good that you're thinking about these things now.
Lol and that you've thought about how disillusioning it may get later. Which is normal. Everyone feels it. It is very possible that you'll get hit harder by this as an international student with it's stigma and extra adversities, but everyone is going to feel that at some point in medical school or after grad. You won't be alone. In fact, misery loves company is a common theme to medical school.

It's easy to get into a medical school in Australia, but it's harder than you know to get residency afterwards (*oops meant 'you' as a premed - and it's not your fault). It's not just hard in the academics, but there's a lot involved in building up a strong application to return home. Some luck is involved as well as a lot of planning in advance, which again, can be tough. You may not even know where to start.

Last edited: